Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM

606 posts, read 1,075,713 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My parents are looking to retire in Philadelphia. They have lived in this city before, but want a different area from the one they used to live in. They lived on W. Passyunk Ave. about a mile or two from the refineries.
They love city life and they loved living in Philadelphia.
They don't make a lot of money, so I realize this will be a hindrance when looking for a decent area. They're willing to pay up to $1000 rent or buying a house.
Living in Center City is not a requirement, but they would like to have access to transportation to the center. Not too outside the city.
Obviously, they want a safe, clean neighborhood, not incredibly far from everything. They use cars, and I don't really think they'll want to give them up.
Is this possible in Philadelphia? I was thinking Wynnefield, but I don't know that much about that neighborhood...just what I've seen from apartment and house hunting online.
Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,160,776 times
Wynnefield would be a good choice. Nice neighborhood with adequate parking.

Some other suggestions maybe West Mount Airy,Chestnut Hill, Roxborough,Andorra. They are all in the city.These neighborhoods are set in and around Wissahickon Valley/Forbidden Drive which is an incredible recreation area for walks,hikes, bike rides.

Nearby suburbs. Wynnewood, Narberth,Bala Cynwd,Ardmore,Haverford,Bryn Mawr would be nice places to live.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,739,842 times
Would they be willing to live in a (luxury) high rise in order to be in Center City if garage parking and overhead were under 1,000? How much cash could they come up with?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:43 PM

53 posts, read 101,820 times
how about chestnut hill /Mt Airy area? a lot of older folks seem to retire in that area. The on problem is that it is a bit far from center city however, with the chestnut hill line and the fact that they drive it shouldn't be too much of a hastle to get downtown.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,286,846 times
We may end up in older burbs just a notch up from the ones mentioned above. Philly is becoming (yet another) retirement hot spot. Watch out!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,160,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
We may end up in older burbs just a notch up from the ones mentioned above. Philly is becoming (yet another) retirement hot spot. Watch out!
The region is pretty diversified and reasonably affordable. If you want city life? Center City is really becoming impressive for metrosexuals,families, students and retirees. The suburbs are fantastic for families and they have their hotspots for younger people.

I was reading a story about the movie "The Village" which was shot out in Chester County/Brandywine Valley a few years ago. Much of the cast enjoyed it so much that they stayed around and took a vacation after the movie was done filming. They were all staying in a rustic Bed + Breakfast in the countryside of Brandywine.

The Philadelphia region doesnt seem to get the praise that Boston does but I dont see much difference.Perhapsthe grittier parts hurts its reputation and rightfully so I suppose. But the grittier parts make up what 2%- 3% of the region in regards to area wise?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,863,727 times
They can still get a decent apartment for under $1000/mo. in University City - just not in the luxurious buildings like Domus or the Radian.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 AM

606 posts, read 1,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
how about chestnut hill /Mt Airy area? a lot of older folks seem to retire in that area. The on problem is that it is a bit far from center city however, with the chestnut hill line and the fact that they drive it shouldn't be too much of a hastle to get downtown.
I will definitely check out Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy. I don't think they will mind it being just a little way from Center City. Are those neighborhoods themselves walkable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The region is pretty diversified and reasonably affordable. If you want city life? Center City is really becoming impressive for metrosexuals,families, students and retirees. The suburbs are fantastic for families and they have their hotspots for younger people.

I was reading a story about the movie "The Village" which was shot out in Chester County/Brandywine Valley a few years ago. Much of the cast enjoyed it so much that they stayed around and took a vacation after the movie was done filming. They were all staying in a rustic Bed + Breakfast in the countryside of Brandywine.

The Philadelphia region doesnt seem to get the praise that Boston does but I dont see much difference.Perhapsthe grittier parts hurts its reputation and rightfully so I suppose. But the grittier parts make up what 2%- 3% of the region in regards to area wise?
I do think that they gritty parts of Philadelphia overshadow all the great things about the city, even though those gritty parts aren't the majority of the area. My brother lives in Media, and he's pretty young and enjoys it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
They can still get a decent apartment for under $1000/mo. in University City - just not in the luxurious buildings like Domus or the Radian.
Never considered University City. Will look into it.

Thank you so far!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,851,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
I will definitely check out Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy. I don't think they will mind it being just a little way from Center City. Are those neighborhoods themselves walkable?
Yes, they are both walkable for the most part. Chestnut Hill and Mount Airy each have their own Downtowns but there are areas by The Wissahickon Park with grand estates and very low density.

Generally, the closer to Germantown Avenue you are in 19118 or 19119 the more walkable it will be and the closer to the two train lines you will be. It is about 20-25 Minutes to Center City on the train and about a 10 Minute drive to Manayunk, another great "downtown" in another NW Philly neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,622,844 times
Mt Airy is a great neighborhood, but I would hesitate to call it "walkable" by city standards. Only because even with the new things that have opened along Germantown Ave recently, there isn't really a critical mass of stuff that you need on a day to day basis in close proximity in Mt. Airy. It's pretty spread out. Everyone I know who lives there drives a lot.
I'd say that Chestnut Hill is more comfortably walkable than Mt Airy (unless you're living in one of the mansions on the far west side) though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia