Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

630 posts, read 989,992 times

Advertisements

Demolish the Gallery and replace it with a mixed-used highrise community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,101,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Tear down the row houses in downtown and replace them with a row of high-rises.
Which ones?

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

289 posts, read 336,982 times
Quote:
Tear down the row houses in downtown and replace them with a row of high-rises.
I see you thought this out.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,507,651 times
There are too many amazing row houses in the downtown area to even think about tearing them down!

Walking home from Chinatown today, I decided that I think they should do something with 12th and Arch to Vine. That street is a snooze.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 PM

289 posts, read 336,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
There are too many amazing row houses in the downtown area to even think about tearing them down!

Walking home from Chinatown today, I decided that I think they should do something with 12th and Arch to Vine. That street is a snooze.
Of course it is - there's a funeral home there. LOL! Actually, I like that quiet little stretch. It's peaceful.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
Of course it is - there's a funeral home there. LOL! Actually, I like that quiet little stretch. It's peaceful.
Yeah, it is sometimes my preferred route for a quiet walk home. Although, sometimes there is a lot of convention center traffic and the parking! I have great hate for parking lots. There are other parking lots nearby that are incorporated much better into the fabric of the city! I love the Senior Association building, though. There are just too many dead non-residential areas around the convention center that could be livened up just a bit.

Edit: I'm not sure why I wrote in my post "Arch to Vine". I mean Race to Vine.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,753,128 times
Quote:
Demolish the Gallery and replace it with a mixed-used highrise community.
No way!
I can't live without K-Mart!
What we need is whatever PREIT has been proposing for years. Add additional renown national chain stores there. Open the window of the stores at the street level and add entrances to the street!

Again, I am like an a broken record. I have seen more people hanging out around Hard Rock after its renovation. And I am talking about the right type of people; not homeless and such.
Brilliant idea to open the window facing the street so that the cafe becomes more a part of the urban living. Also brilliant idea for them to expand inside the Market East Station, utilizing that void area!

One thing I noticed that ever since the window facing the street are no longer tinted, I dont see those regular homeless loitering in front of the windows! Let's do that to the rest!

We also need something to fill that vacant space across the street from Hard Rock. At least there are 2 - 3 stores empty between HardRock to Kinko's strip.
My ideas would be:
1. A cafe with outdoor sitting?
2. An Amish pastry shop. That would be awesome!
3. Maybe a bunch of national renowned clothing retails for conventioneers who dont know the existence of Rittenshouse Row. Maybe a Disney Store! M&Ms store! Won't hurt to have another H&M!

And finally that Dunkin Donuts adjacent to Hard Rock. Homeless still hang around at the corner outside the building. It seems that the owners have got to the point that they dont care anymore!
These homeless usually spill into the store, sleeping on the seats reserved for customers.
Maybe some new retail should come there. And Dunkin Donuts can move to the area between HArd Rock and the Field? Open a stand?

In the current Dunkin Donut Site, we can have a more family oriented national / local eatery. The one that cares to ensure the homeless are not there utilizing their facility. Place where conventioneers with family can eat afford-ably in an enclosed area as oppose to eating down by the Gallery with various people with unique characters. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my POPEYEs and Indian Delight (Cnote if you are reading this: the spring roll in Indian Delight is so out of the world!!!!! It's crispy, it's a bit sweet....it's not anything I have tasted in any places)
There are so many times I saw confused tourists with children in the gallery's food court, trying to avoid certain "outstanding" gentlemen.

Going back to the topic:
We can also have the seating spill onto the area outside the building. And perhaps "gate" the whole area outside (in a tasteful way) to further prevent the homeless to come in.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM

Yeah, Market East is jut a big brick sitting here. I do enjoy the K-Mart there, because it works when I need something that I can't find elsewhere (or just haven't found yet) and I don't want to go down all the way down to the Southeast. This isn't often, but it will be enough that it is nice to have there just in case. The rest of the place I can leave.

Regarding the outdoor sitting... I would like more to begin with. One of the most important assets a city can have is lots of places to sit! Also, more garbage cans.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,753,128 times
I find myself in K-Mart time after time, especially when I need to buy small cheap containers and such. I really miss Container Store. The closest one we have near Philly is in Cherry Hill, PA (LOL!)
Also sometime there is only so much knick knacks you can get from RiteAid and CVS.

I have this love and hate relationship with the Gallery. Yes, it is just a pile of brick. However I believe that once PREIT renovates it, it will be one of destination for a lot of us, Center City-ers go to do our shopping.
I find myself shop there alot. From Hallmark to GNC to Call it Spring to Walden Books.
It is just the format of the building is not appealing, and there should be more stores options, and some of the questionable clients.

PREIT is notorious (in a good way) for renovating dead malls into lively ones. Examples are Cherry Hill Mall and Exton Mall. It is about time they will do something to the Gallery. I heard the renovation plan will be revealed once K-Mart's lease is expired 2014.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM

203 posts, read 325,191 times
Market East Square - replace gallery (ignore the glass atrium design, ill mock-up something better looking in a different program at some point)... take this basic concept and not the style, and merge it with the ed bacon competition winner from 2007

Navy Yard - re-do the Navy Yard Plan right. Create a legit neighborhood that is integrated with the city grid and land uses. Combine Plans with sports complex for the 2024 Olympic Village, a 2025 Worlds Fair, and 2026 American Quarter-Millennium birthday celebrations for phased development.

Expanded Rail Plan - including Penn Praxis NE Corridor NSR alignment using Market East and the Airport as stops, planned Camden-Glassboro line, potential Camden-Joint Base(Dix-McGuire-Lakehurst) line, Roosevelt Blvd, Delaware waterfront light rail, expanded PATCO line (using existing lines and ROW) to create a city loop, and a closed loop tram at the airport.

Franklin Tunnel - ... *This is a the weird one*....extend the Vine Street Expressway under the Delaware as a tunnel and connect it to Admiral Wilson Blvd [route 30] via a new canyon highway section like what is in Philly now. Here are some quick looks of how the Philly Side, and the Camden Side might work. This would greatly enhance the cross river traffic, enlarge the Franklin Square park, and turn the bridge into a 2 lane (each way) local road with better pedestrian/bike use. Also it should spur some redevelopment in Camden with expanded waterfront parks, and removal of the walls of highways.

just some idea Ive been playing with over the last 5 years

Last edited by jasomm; 02-20-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia