Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,155 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

I've read a post about commuting to Harrsiburg to work from Philadelphia. I work for the Commonwealth of PA and I find that there are limited opportunities for advancement if I were to stay in Philadelphia County (and surrounding counties). I like living here. I love my apartment. I am involved with 2 nonprofits. I hold an executive role in one and the other I am simply a volunteer, who helps out whenever to keep informed. I love the church I attend and growing spirtually is important to me. Those of you who are believers and regular church goers, you can understand that finding a church that meets biblical teachings and personal growth can be challenging.

Working in Harrisburg, I have an opportunity to finally work in my field. I have a MS in public policy. But, I am soo apprehensive in moving to Harrisburg because it pales in comparison to my life in Philly. Not to mention I would have to start over in the charities I am passionate about. I read some posts about Harrisburg being diverse, but I know I would miss walking to the near by bistros, restaurants, or simply walking outside my home and finding something random to do because the city has alot going on.

I plan on driving to Ardmore and taking the train to Harrisburg. My job location is a 10 minute walk from the train station. My drive to Ardmore will be 20 minutes. My monthly Amtrak pass would be $350/mo (YIKES!!). I literally break even from the pay raise I would receive (it's only $3,000 (annual) more than my current salary).

My lease ends in May so I will be making a final determination to stay and commute or move ().

I wanted to know if anyone has done this before. How long did you do it? Or know anyone that has done this. I'm hoping that I advance to another level and possibly transfer to a location closer to Philadelphia within the next year or 2 years maximum.

Insights welcomed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi2013 View Post
I plan on driving to Ardmore and taking the train to Harrisburg. My job location is a 10 minute walk from the train station. My drive to Ardmore will be 20 minutes. My monthly Amtrak pass would be $350/mo (YIKES!!). I literally break even from the pay raise I would receive (it's only $3,000 (annual) more than my current salary).
First, let me comment on the part of your post that I didn't quote. It sounds like you've built a good life for yourself in Philly - involvement in church & community - and that's something to be congratulated. It's also something to be valued, which is why I'd urge you not to take on this commute. You're talking 20 minutes to the station, add some padding so you won't miss the train (say, 10 minutes), then a 90 minute ride, then another 10 minutes to the office. Portal-to-portal time is over 2 hours each way, over 4 hours a day. Basically, it's like adding a 1/2-time job to your life that pays $0.

I also think the physical and mental drain would be such that your church and other activities in Philly would suffer. Imagine slogging through a day at work, getting to Ardmore at 7:00 and then saying "there's a meeting at [church/non-profit/wherever] at 8:00." Unless those activities really energize you, I'm guessing that with the schedule you propose you're going to start having some activity attrition in Philly.

Any possibility of working full-time in H'burg for a while, then being on-site just a couple of days a week?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
if you do it, consider getting an amtrak credit card to rack up the points. consider moving to ardmore in walking distance of the station (or walking distance of 30th st). it's a long commute, there is wifi service on the train so there's that.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,155 times
@ FranKInPhilly,
Thank you for your comment. I've tried this commute about 4 times in a week for different reasons. My job does have frequent travel involved so, perhaps I work on site a few times a week after I'm trained. I have my 1.5 hours (3hrs a day) planned to get some things done on the train. I know that could get old quick too. When I lived in a different state I used to drive 1.5hrs each way to work. That definitely got old quick but the experience I had (which I think helped in getting the job in Harrisburg) was good. In comparison, the train ride doesn't seem that bad because at least I'm not driving.

I did think about how my other activities would be affected. I am really passionate about my other activities and my spiritual life so I am hoping and praying to ride this out until another opportunity comes (within 1 - 2 years).

@Pman
Thank you for feedback. I have a rewards card so, I will be getting points that way. Getting a credit card it not in the future right now.

All in all, I realize it's a HUGE sacrifice if I stay in Philly and a HUGE sacrifice if I leave. I'll decide by May what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia