Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
No, it isn't....what? No, it isn't a good start? No, it isn't mostly immigrants?

What are you talking about? I posted a newspaper article.
In an attempt to get this thread back to a civil conversation, this is the last time I will put you straight in this thread.

No it isn't "mostly immigrants". Maybe next time you should look at how the numbers actually come into being. It was a "small" increase on paper because so many newcomers and immigrants had to come to the city to replace/counter the many droves of working class and middle class people leaving the city for the past however many decades. If you were actually from this area then you might know that.

You cherry picked one that would back up your ignorant opinion.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I agree with you completely. I think it would be great for Philadelphia (as well as the entire region) if companies like Subaru continued to relocate to the city proper. If it were to be moved from, say, West Chester or Newtown, I would understand the frustration (though I would probably still think it would be for the greater good). But Cherry Hill is so close to the city to begin with, and it has plenty of corporate presence anyway--its economy would hardly collapse as the result of one employer moving to an alternative nearby location.

Now, if Cherry Hill companies did start leaving in droves for the city, that would definitely adversely affect the region. But I see this as a message that, as you said, the suburbs will need to "step up their game" if they want to continue to hold on to these major employers.
Exactly.

I don't understand why not only is the media coverage dominated by "how bad" we should all feel for Cherry Hill if they lose Subaru, but not a single person in any medium even so much as puts the idea out there that Philadelphia deserves Subaru let alone that they should try to lure Subaru or that it would be a smart move on Subaru's part.

I could understand if the South Jersey suburbs hadn't fired the many first shots in the battle but they did and continue to try to bombard the city.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
No it isn't "mostly immigrants".
You didn't read the article. That's okay, other people will.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You didn't read the article. That's okay, other people will.
Actually I did.

It was yet another example of lazy "journalism" by people who are either from Bucks, Montgomery, or the South Jersey counties if they're from the metro at all.

You didn't see through it because it told you exactly what you wanted to hear. That's okay, other people will (and did).

Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Exactly.

I don't understand why not only is the media coverage dominated by "how bad" we should all feel for Cherry Hill if they lose Subaru, but not a single person in any medium even so much as puts the idea out there that Philadelphia deserves Subaru let alone that they should try to lure Subaru or that it would be a smart move on Subaru's part.
Simply put, it's because Philadelphia has no equivalent of the Greater Greater Washington blog that strongly advocates for the city. I'm assuming most Philly media is owned by suburbanites. Hell, Norcross part-owns the Inquirer. There ya go, NEW JERSEY is at it again, taking over your media. Hide your kids, hide your wife.

Instead of being butthurt about it and insulting roughly everyone who has argued with you on this thread, maybe you should go start Greater Greater Philadelphia. Despite your claims otherwise, you are the one who lost your cool and started crapping on everyone else in this thread.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
You didn't see through it because it told you exactly what you wanted to hear.
That's illogical. If it was supporting my earlier discussion about population, it would have said that Philadelphia's population was declining.

I'm not climbing into your mud hole again.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Closed because your moderators have jobs and can't moderate as fast as you all can post!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Hello!

I apologize in advance if I happen to repeat any points but I've only read through about half the pages in this rather prolific thread.

I feel that if Philadelphia were to lure Subaru to the city, it would be quite a coup. It certainly would not be the first time that the city has offered targeted tax breaks to a company (albeit never wage tax relief to its employees) to encourage them to move here. There are some that might argue that a general lowering of business taxes and fees might encourage even more companies to establish or expand their presence in Philadelphia. Considering the Subaru employees are already here - and a plurality if not majority of them probably do live in South Jersey, I'm not sure how the numbers would crunch in the city's favor. It's not as if the Jersey residents would need to move to the city.

With that done, I'm going to put on my moderator hat.

While the enthusiasm to create a 17 pages thread in 17 hours should be something to be admired, unfortunately it seems a fair number of posts were either personal attacks or responses to such. As always, the most effective way to deal with an offending post is to report it, contact a moderator, block the alleged offender, or all of the above. Issuing infractions would be time-consuming although this thread will be kept in mind in the future for those that were eligible...and you likely know who you are.

This really isn't that serious, people.

Thread closed.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia