Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:34 PM

421 posts, read 834,558 times

Advertisements

What would you like to see replace the empty Genuardi's on West Chester Pike? I'm really disappointed Giant didn't buy it but bought so many other Genuardi's. Also, how would you like to have a Pier 1 where Staples next to the old Genuardi's is (imagining Staples wouldn't be in Newtown Square if so?) It's a shame that the Wine & Spirits store there had to move to a TINY space to make room for the Staples, most of which is a former Happy Harry's drugstore. Pier 1 would only take up the Happy Harry's space. Staples has been closing stores lately so this one might tank soon. I hope if that happens, Wine & Spirits can reclaim their old space while keeping their new space, and Huntington Learning Center (which is between the two) could go where the current Wine & Spirits is behind Acme at West Chester Pike and 252. The only reason that ancient Wine & Spirits stays open despite the newer one INSIDE Acme is because the company was bullied by Staples up the road, so now they're stuck with three tiny stores with awful selections all within a mile of each other. I also was surprised that the Rite Aid (was Eckerd) next to the True Value Hardware in the Acme center didn't move to where CVS instead opened a new store in town, next to Pizzeria Uno. Ironically, there once was an Eckerd next to the Genuardi's (now Giant) in Springfield. The current Eckerd/Rite Aid in Newtown Square opened way back in 1977 as a Thrift Drug, taking up half of the former Grants dime store along with the True Value. So it's surprising they didn't move in 1995 to the then-new Genuardi's center, and then to where CVS now is. I would have loved to have seen the current Rite Aid move so that Carmine's could have opened a to-go beer store (selling 6 packs like they currently do) in that space. I believe pizzerias are allowed to sell beer in such a form as long as the store is somehow attached to their restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM

Also, I meant to ask earlier... what kind of food did Brazier Foods have? The Dairy Queen that used to be at the intersection of West Chester Pike and Providence (now demolished for WSFS Bank) also had a Brazier Foods sign on the outside.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM

I heard Rite Aid is now planning to move to the former Videon Chevrolet lot across the street. Perhaps Walgreens could also open where Videon Chrysler-Plymouth once was?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Whatever happened to the Town Center on the Ellis Preserve?

With Toll Brothers buying/building on the Dupont Estate (460 homes) that town center would have come in handy.

The Town Center built by BPG Development is supposed to include:

500,000 sq ft retail

1,000,000 sq ft of office

400 residents townhouses,apartment,single family homes.

2 Hotels

Community Park

This was held up in court by feuding developers I believe . I havent heard anything about it in the
past year or so.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Whatever happened to the Town Center on the Ellis Preserve?
Quote:
While the office portion of Ellis Preserve is moving along, the remainder of the development has been held up by ongoing litigation that challenged the zoning and master plan approved for the property. The case currently is before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court and Spaeder is hopeful a ruling will be handed down “any day” and “in our favor.”

If Equus Capital does get the green light, the company expects to begin this year constructing the first phase, which would include a roughly 52,000-square-foot Whole Foods, a 120-room hotel and about 40,000 square feet of retail. The overall project entails constructing a mixed-use development with Main Street and town center elements.
$20 million upgrades to Ellis Preserve property - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM

Thanks for link.

Interesting that it is now tied up in State Supreme Court.

The Rt 3 corridor is pretty devoid of retail development. This Town Center would do wonders for that area. With Ridley Creek State Park, all the Golf Courses nearby, centrally located between Media,West Chester,King of Prussia this would be an ideal place to live. Alot of the local TV personalities live in this area already as does Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay families although I believe the Halladay's probably only spend the summers here.

Rt 3. As of now From the Blue Route all the way out to West Chester your shopping options are very limited. Can't fathom how they let this development get tied up for 7 -8 years in court.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Thanks for link.

Interesting that it is now tied up in State Supreme Court.

The Rt 3 corridor is pretty devoid of retail development. This Town Center would do wonders for that area. With Ridley Creek State Park, all the Golf Courses nearby, centrally located between Media,West Chester,King of Prussia this would be an ideal place to live. Alot of the local TV personalities live in this area already as does Cole Hamels and Roy Halladay families although I believe the Halladay's probably only spend the summers here.

Rt 3. As of now From the Blue Route all the way out to West Chester your shopping options are very limited. Can't fathom how they let this development get tied up for 7 -8 years in court.
I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that the folks of Edgemont really hold the line on development, preferring open space. And I believe there is ample shopping in both the Newtown shopping area on Rt. 252/Rte. 3 as well as the center with the Regal Cinema which I often frequented when I lived in Wallingford.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that the folks of Edgemont really hold the line on development, preferring open space. And I believe there is ample shopping in both the Newtown shopping area on Rt. 252/Rte. 3 as well as the center with the Regal Cinema which I often frequented when I lived in Wallingford.
I agree with Soulsurv...I know I've read that the people who live near the former DuPont estate are upset about the property being developed. (I'd be upset too if I lived there.) There's something to be said about diminishing open space.

Rainrock, there's TONS of shopping available on both sides of West Chester Pike from Broomall/Marple all the way out to the West Chester area. It's true that retail kind of disappears around the Edgmont area, but does every square inch along the Pike have to be developed? I just don't understand how you can say that it's limited.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

I was referring more to the national retailers. Target,Kohl's,Best Buy,Bed bath beyond, Lowes,Sears etc etc. I agree it has its fair share of smaller independent businesses at least E of 252.

Rt #1 has 2 Home Depots, 3 Targets ,2 major Malls, 2 Kohls . It just seemed odd to me that Rt 3 in particular from 252 all the way out to 202 is pretty sparse with national retailers. So much money along this corridor.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:08 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
I was referring more to the national retailers. Target,Kohl's,Best Buy,Bed bath beyond, Lowes,Sears etc etc. I agree it has its fair share of smaller independent businesses at least E of 252.

Rt #1 has 2 Home Depots, 3 Targets ,2 major Malls, 2 Kohls . It just seemed odd to me that Rt 3 in particular from 252 all the way out to 202 is pretty sparse with national retailers. So much money along this corridor.
Wouldnt it be better to have stores like Polo, coach, j crew type if land were to be developed in the Edgemont area. There are enough targets, it would be nice to see another upscale shopping center, instead of having to go to King of Prussia, Philly, or glen mills. Im sure they would do fantastic since there is a lot of wealth all around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia