Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM

421 posts, read 834,220 times

Advertisements

I just found out from a real estate website that the Giant in Brookhaven is moving across the street, to a brand new shopping center! Perhaps Wine & Spirits will move there too... their current Brookhaven store hasn't been updated since 1986, the same time Giant was new to Brookhaven (and Delaware County)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
I just found out from a real estate website that the Giant in Brookhaven is moving across the street, to a brand new shopping center! Perhaps Wine & Spirits will move there too... their current Brookhaven store hasn't been updated since 1986, the same time Giant was new to Brookhaven (and Delaware County)!
Do you have the link to post? I have heard rumors about that, but was not positive. I hope they just demolish the old Giant shopping center in Brookhaven and expand the brookhaven park which is behind the shopping center.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM

here you go: 4800 Edgmont Ave, Brookhaven, PA, 19015 - Retail Pad Property for Lease on LoopNet.com

The Pathmark will most likely close soon after the new Giant opens, but if A&P really does ever recover from their troubles, they might buy out the Kmart lease to move Pathmark there. Also, perhaps if a new Wine & Spirits opens by the new Giant, it will replace both the current Brookhaven and Aston ones? (but it would have to be bigger than both current ones combined)

Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 PM

I was wondering... although the former Blockbuster in Aston is a decent size for a new Wine & Spirits, perhaps the old Eckerd (now Pet Kraze) would have been better because having been a former drugstore, it had loading docks or other fixtures more fitting for a liquor store?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
JMHO Aston Rocks! I mean c'mon we got a Pawn Shop! A brand new Aston diner and a coming soon a fine new drinking establishment. Thats right unlike brookhaven you can get a drink in Aston! Aston has lots of commercial build-able space plus a lot of space available for rent. Aston has world class ice skating rinks and a roller skating rink. plus a awesome new community center and library. Have you ever taken a kid to Bette's family fun center great place for a toddler to party hard! heck we even got a dunkin donuts. Taxes aren't that bad either but that 1% earned income tax sucks! Can't say much about Ridley except some high taxes and I know 3 people who have had their car stolen from the woodlyn shopping center. Liberty makes a good cheese steak (not as good as laspada's in Aston) People are getting shot inside and also winding up dead behind the R&S club

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM

What if Amelia's Grocery Outlet were to open in Aston? Their stores seem to be a step up from Save-A-Lot, which only sells generic, off-brand, and processed foods. But most Amelia's stores are also in old, small, run down centers in poorer areas... for example Lancaster, Woodlyn (right next to Chester), Coatesville, Pottstown, and they soon will open in Sharon Hill. Also, while the Big Lots space in Aston would be empty again if Big Lots were to move to where Shop N Bag was, Giant might be opposed to Amelia's being across the parking lot. But Save-A-Lot doesn't really compete with Giant at all. Perhaps if Amelia's really wanted to be in Aston, and Giant objected, (assuming Big Lots moved), Planet Fitness could move to the current Big Lots and Amelia's could go in the old Acme/Planet Fitness building? After all, the Acme in Sharon Hill where Amelia's is coming soon was just about the exact same size as the one in Aston.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Again, Aston doesnt need Amelias Grocery Outlet, I would honestly rather look at the empty Shop n bag space then see a bargain super market go in.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM

Would Save-A-Lot fit in Holmes, at MacDade Mall more specifically? I thought the current Acme there could become a Save-A-Lot. And what about a Save-A-Lot in Folsom, where Pathmark currently is? Or if wine/spirits gets privatized in PA, what about a Total Wine in either of these spaces?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM

If I had a time machine, I would have relocated the former Woodlyn Acme (now Amelia's) to where Pathmark now is in Brookhaven. In real life, that Acme moved to where Bally now is in Woodlyn, where Penn Fruit once was. Then I would have relocated the Acme to where Giant now is in Brookhaven, then to where Giant will soon be moving in Brookhaven. So the generations of this series of Acme would probably go like this: 1962, 1978, 1988, and 2002. Meanwhile, the 1962 Acme could have become a Jo-Ann Fabrics (in 1978), then Jo-Ann could have moved to the 1978 Acme (in 1988) while the 1962 Acme became a Drug Emporium. Then after Drug Emporium folded in 2002, the 1962 Acme could have become an Asian supermarket. Jo-Ann also would then move to the former 1988 Acme, and perhaps the 1978 Acme/1988 Jo-Ann could have become a Big Lots. Also perhaps the Kmart in Brookhaven would have been better off closed and replaced by a Hobby Lobby craft store.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Funny you think certain stores attract a bad element... I think some stores attract the opposite. For example, I thought it was stupid to put a Pier 1 Imports where the former Eckerd was in Springfield. Eckerd, as with any drugstore operator, attracted all kinds of people. And it was the closest chain drugstore to Morton until the CVS opened there. But Pier 1 sells a lot of useless crap, and even worse, much of it is too expensive for most residents of nearby Morton in this case. A Wine & Spirits would have fit much better as a replacement for this Eckerd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia