Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be Philly's population gain in the next census?
<25000 7 20.59%
25000 to 50000 7 20.59%
50000 to 75000 4 11.76%
75000 to 100000 7 20.59%
>100000 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I hear ya cnote and agree. BUT the people moving in to our old hood were already from Philly.. Just lower status neighborhoods. Fishtown, North/west/ etc etc and they were moving up. The white were moving out.. So the city nets a loss if residents move out while others move up..
Not "EXACTLY" true Frank... I am renting a one of two apartments at East Sanger/Oxford in the Northeast and I admit that it's changed but trust me there are a lot of new faces and races who are NOT from the city or US. There are plenty of Brazilians, Portuguese, Ecuadorians, Indians, Columbians,etc; who've only been in the states for 10 years or less and they chose Philly and seem to be happy there. The average person may see them and just assume they're Puerto Rican or Dominican, or Mexican but they're not and are recent transplants to Philadelphia. Up and down Cottman Avenue (I think it is) I see their small businesses and restaurants and I've frequent them when I'm in town. EVERYONE has treated me nice and I haven't seen any crime the last two times I was in town. I know a few people in the area and they're good hardworking people and not on section 8 nor are they trouble makers. I signed a one year lease because In 2010 I fell in love with my hometown again and if it wasn't for my line of work I would return for good in a heartbeat.

I would not purchase where I'm renting.....maybe a little further up the Blvd area or close to City Ave somewhere. I'm not sure about Center City or University City since I still have young children. If the city can turn around the school district, blow up those wage and business taxes, and cut crime in half Philly WILL be a destination for many future employers and new residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post

If the city can turn around the school district, blow up those wage and business taxes, and cut crime in half Philly WILL be a destination for many future employers and new residents.

ABSOLUTELY! no doubt

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Not "EXACTLY" true Frank... I am renting a one of two apartments at East Sanger/Oxford in the Northeast and I admit that it's changed but trust me there are a lot of new faces and races who are NOT from the city or US. There are plenty of Brazilians, Portuguese, Ecuadorians, Indians, Columbians,etc; who've only been in the states for 10 years or less and they chose Philly and seem to be happy there. The average person may see them and just assume they're Puerto Rican or Dominican, or Mexican but they're not and are recent transplants to Philadelphia. Up and down Cottman Avenue (I think it is) I see their small businesses and restaurants and I've frequent them when I'm in town. EVERYONE has treated me nice and I haven't seen any crime the last two times I was in town. I know a few people in the area and they're good hardworking people and not on section 8 nor are they trouble makers. I signed a one year lease because In 2010 I fell in love with my hometown again and if it wasn't for my line of work I would return for good in a heartbeat.

I would not purchase where I'm renting.....maybe a little further up the Blvd area or close to City Ave somewhere. I'm not sure about Center City or University City since I still have young children. If the city can turn around the school district, blow up those wage and business taxes, and cut crime in half Philly WILL be a destination for many future employers and new residents.
we have Puerto Rican family in the NE, some moved from north philly and some came directly from the island...nobody had any desire to leave the island for a place like fairhill. it's worth noting that when whites fled from north philly to the northeast (among other places) nobody moved in to fill their place. if the city is growing, then no neighborhood should fall as far as those places did. if immigrants are moving to the northeast and people are getting priced out of formerly bad neighborhoods, the end result shuold be a more vibrant city

Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
My prediction is the next Census will be in 2020.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
BillyJacc, the statistics I have show that the black population didn't really move an inch, and that it is set to increase. Perhaps it was just swapping with some leaving and others coming?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
BillyJacc, the statistics I have show that the black population didn't really move an inch, and that it is set to increase. Perhaps it was just swapping with some leaving and others coming?
I think that says a lot that Philly is able to stabilize it's black population when so many northern cities are losing it's black population in droves to the south.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I believe that's somewhat correct but also note Cnote that many of the kids from my generation "Class of '85" have relocated to the "NICE AREAS" that were popular in our child/young adult hoods. Southwest residents moved to Yeadon/Sharon Hill/West Chester... Nicetown/Hunting Park/Germantown/etc; headed to Cheltenham, Jekintown,Glenside, etc; at one time or another.... I'm speaking of professionals as well as blue collar types who could afford it and brought something to the table that did not lower property values.

Those who stayed in city limits just headed to the "NICE" places nearby such as Northeast, or West Mt.Airy, or Pennrose section of Southwest or Wynnfield or Overbrook Park sections of West Philly, etc;. Funny thing is I've heard a few complaints here & there about the "NEW FOLKS" moving in. They ALL seem to be a little TOO working class.....and a "suspect section 8". LMBO! Another funny thing is 23 years ago when people from the city moved into these places "particularly Yeadon..... The longtime ALL Professional Residents said some of those SAME things about them.. lol,lol.

Do you know that there is a HUGE African population is Southwest Philly? From 42nd & Spruce going over to Baltimore & Chester Avenues and up to the high 60's are full of people formerly from the Congo, Accra, Ivory Coast, Eritrea, Ethiopia,Cape Verde, etc. Longtime residents call in "Southwest Africa" lol...Also the FORMER "Little Italy " neighborhood around 48th & Girard up to 55th & Master Streets is now heavily West Indian, Jamaican, Hatian, etc. Whenever I'm in town I go to visit or just drive through and see these changes with my own eyes and think it's wonderful.

As I stated above^^^ when the weather's warm and I'm in town I usually visit old stomping grounds and longtime family roots and will walk for blocks or park my rental and say hello, shake some hands, reminisce or whatever but in the past few years on my trips I've notice many of the family, friends, and familiar faces are GONE....Like they've been raptured. lol

Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Yeah, whenever I go out west I notice all the Africans. I enjoy this quite a bit, and I'm happy to see a somewhat strong African influence here in America. They are also some of the nicest people I've met in Philadelphia. I feel that the African cultures are highly underrepresented here in America, so much so that most people act like Africa is one country with one people and one culture... I speak French, so the ones who come from Francophone Africa I can speak to no matter what, which is nice. The West Indies influence is great, and again some of the nicest people I've ever met period. I find this to be equally true of New York City when I visit, as well. Not to mention, all the great food that comes along with these cultures! I will be happy if these communities continue to grow.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 59,554 times
IPhiladelphia at around the 2010 census:
Population at 1.52 million
44% black
38% white
12% hispanic
6% asian

Philadelphia at around the 2020 census (predicted):
Population at around 1.61 million
42% black
33% white
17% hispanic
8% asian

The black population is largely shifting from the north and west sections of philly to the northeast, southwest, and to a lesser extant south philly west of broad. Some blacks are also moving to the suburbs, and some are even leaving the metro all together. There has also been an increase of blacks coming from other Northeastern cities like NYC, NJ, Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and DC. As well as an increase of blacks from Africa and the Caribbean.

The ethnic white popuulation is largely leaving for the suburbs and being replaced by blacks, hispanics, asians in south philly and the northeast. While there is an increase of yuppie/hipster whites and they are gentrifying lower north philly, and other areas close to center city and universities like temple.

The Hispanic is increasing as well. There has been an increase in Puerto Rican migration to the US in recent years, and Orlando and Philadelphia are the 2 major hotspots now. On the contrary, Mexican immigration is at an all-time low, tho Philly and the northeast US in general was never a mexican destination. Dominican immigration rate to the US is on par with the last decade, tho Philly in particular is a now a major destination then ever before. Also there are many Hispanics moving to Philly from NY and NJ due to cheaper to cost of living compared to other parts of the Northeast US. Puerto Rican and Dominican neighborhoods can be found in North Philly east of broad and in the lower northeast. And Mexicans sharing neighborhoods with Italians and Asians in South Philly.

The asian population is slowly increasing, particularly in south philly and the northeast. Many come from India, China, Vietnam, and South Korea.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 PM

175 posts, read 288,200 times
Forgive my ignorance, many posters have mentioned the AVI, what is this and why would it cause problems? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia