Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times

Advertisements

I'd say the Pine Barrens form a pretty definitive edge to the Philly metro. I guess you could consider Hammonton a burb as a stretch. On the other hand, if this were the NYC or DC metro, Hammonton would definitely be a burb, seeing as it's only 45/50 mins from the city, which is on par for the above metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Philly has this ring of exurban towns that i would consider the effective end of the philadelphia metro area. This would include Yardley, New Hope, Doylestown, Collegeville, Phoenixville, Downington, West Chester, Kennet Square . . . maybe Medford, Bordentown, and Princeton on the NJ side. If you're outside of that ring, you're not really in the philadelphia area and even some of those towns are not reasonably commutable to center city. The end of the SEPTA regional rail system would roughly correlate.
I would not include Princeton as part of the Philly metro only because it's considered part of the NYC metro by the Feds. But functionally you could consider it the northeasternmost apex - north and east of Princeton are Somerset and Middlesex Counties, definitely not part of the Phila. metro. area (though Comcast does broadcast Philly channels as far north as South Brunswick).

Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I'd say the Pine Barrens form a pretty definitive edge to the Philly metro. I guess you could consider Hammonton a burb as a stretch. On the other hand, if this were the NYC or DC metro, Hammonton would definitely be a burb, seeing as it's only 45/50 mins from the city, which is on par for the above metros.
Depending on the traffic you can get from Philly to Hammonton in about 30 min. This thread is interesting in that it was created just before the OMB released the new designations. Now that the Philly area officially added places like Atlantic County, NJ back to it's metro you can now make a legitimate argument that the furthest suburb of Philly reaches the Jersey Shore.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM

192 posts, read 293,067 times
I'd say Morgantown to Douglassville in SE Berks Co in Pa and Atlantic City in NJ

Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I would not include Princeton as part of the Philly metro only because it's considered part of the NYC metro by the Feds.
Not really.

The US OMB considers Mercer County to be part of the NY Metro. This is because commuter patterns in Mercer favor jobs in Middlesex and Monmouth over Bucks and Burlington.

The US DOT considers Mercer to be part of the Philly Metro. This is because of the strong orientation of transportation infrastructure towards Philadelphia - multiple rail lines, interstates, US highways, etc that head towards Philly or South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia