Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,506,988 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I really loved Chicago when I visited and nearly moved there, but I actually think Philadelphia is a better city to live in. Los Angeles seems like it would have a lot of stuff I'd die for, but actually living there seems terrible. It just doesn't seem like the place for me. San Francisco seems amazing, though. Philadelphia has a billion things to do. I've been there for 2 months and I feel like I've barely done anything whatsoever. The great cultural institutions will spend you for years, if you're into that kind of thing. I've only been up to the Art Museum once and I feel like I've barely put a dent in it. Then again, I'm the type to stand around looking at a painting for half an hour before moving to the next.

My point is, if you're really interested in science and art, then you will have plenty to do for sure. People always talk about the quality of the nightlife, but I would have no idea since I'm not really interested in those kinds of things. It doesn't really seem all that great from what I've glimpsed, but I'm in no way an authority. There are a lot of used book stores and the library is a great place for me to enjoy for hours on end everyday. Just walking around the city and taking in the beautiful architecture or taking the regional rail out to explore the surrounding areas keeps me quite busy as well.

One thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the music scene. I hear how quality it is but honestly, it isn't up to par. After experiencing the rich music scene in Scotland, I'm not easily impressed. Glasgow was a hotbed for popular music and art music alike. There was always something going on and most of the time it was free. Philadelphia has its share, but it just doesn't seem like it compares. Perhaps it is great by American standards? Either way, I hope to delve deeper into it and hopefully I am surprised. Does anybody know of any good places to see some Jazz around here?

I'm not much of a shopper, so I don't speak to the quality of the shopping. Well, I should say that it isn't my type of shopping at least, for the most part. There is retail, but it doesn't seem like the richest selection. It should appeal to many. It doesn't have anything on a place like New York, Tokyo, London, Seoul, Rome, Paris, San Francisco, Los Angeles, or even Chicago in this aspect. Philadelphia seems to be in the middle of something big, so there is more to come. Now the grocery shopping is pretty nice! Again, it might not compete with some places in the world, but it really is more than enough for a city that is just now starting to develop into something great.

The restaurants are pretty great! A lot of diversity too, so you can find a great deal of what you're craving if you're used to eating more than standard fare. Some of the best restaurants are not in the Center City area, so you'll be out exploring the different areas of the city and finding little gems to eat at. Also, if you love nature, then Philadelphia is a great place to be! So many gardens for show in and around the city, as well as plentiful parks within proximity. If this is your thing, you shouldn't get bored for a long, long time.

There are so many things to do in Philadelphia that I never feel that I get anything accomplished. I'm always finding new things to do and I have to sacrifice some because I don't have enough time! I keep having to postpone plans by weeks because my schedule is bursting at the seams with things to do.

Last edited by Cnote11; 03-03-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Of course it is! It ain't Los Angeles, NY, Chi and SF. It's not even Seattle and Boston. It's good for history since it's the birth place of U.S.. Got to give credit for that. Other than that, it's nothing to write home about.
I wrote home about it.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,980,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
I meant Dunkin Donuts all over downtown.
My mom and brother were just here and they mentioned all the dunkin donuts lol.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,739,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
My mom and brother were just here and they mentioned all the dunkin donuts lol.
The demand for donuts and coffee along with a lot of other things is high downtown because there are so many workers, residents and tourists walking around. How is this a bad thing?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:06 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,695,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The demand for donuts and coffee along with a lot of other things is high downtown because there are so many workers, residents and tourists walking around. How is this a bad thing?

ever been to Boston, there are even more, but not sure why this in and of itelf is a bad thing

Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,884,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ever been to Boston, there are even more, but not sure why this in and of itelf is a bad thing
Because its Philly... People just have to play CSI when it comes to our town. They'll pull out the microscope and lab gloves as soon as we're mentioned. Also the OP hasn't posted in a week. Thread should close.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:57 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,695,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Because its Philly... People just have to play CSI when it comes to our town. They'll pull out the microscope and lab gloves as soon as we're mentioned. Also the OP hasn't posted in a week. Thread should close.
Yeah did you here Borders and Daffys closed, must be an issue with Philly...

The sad part is there are REAL issues the city needs to deal with, not the number of Dunkin donuts though...

I have tried to stay out of these threads lately, guess I got sucked in

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM

9 posts, read 14,571 times
Food. We have some of the best food in the US, and I'm
not talking about any cheese steak

Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,377 times
My best friend is from Philly and I am moving there in a couple of weeks. I have heard nothing but mostly positive about Philly. Like how good the Deli's are and Prezels.. And in the summer time there is Rita's water ice. ((yes I hear it is called WATER and not ITALIAN ice).

I qm a musician so I can't wait to see the Phila Orchestra with Maestro Seguin.
As for the neighborhoods. Yes, the area around N. Philly is somewhat shady from what I hear but everywhere else is decent. I love parks and nature so Fairmount and Pennypack Park will be two of my best friends. I grew up in Chicago so there will be some similarites in terms of shear size and culture scene. Perhaps the way of life like thinking fast on one's feet might be a little different than the slow pace of the midwest...

Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,923,021 times
There is only 3 cities(NYC, LA and Chicago) in the entire country that legitimately offer more amenities and things to do than Philadelphia has to offer. Every other city is debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia