Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 PM
two two started this thread

4 posts, read 9,243 times

Advertisements

Early 30s couple. Girlfriend and I will be moving to Philadelphia soon as I have taken a job in center city (near Suburban Station). I'm looking in the 1100-1500 range for rent, price flexible based on how happy we are with it.

For various reasons, not all discussed below (like driving time to other family in PA), we are mostly interested in West Chestnut Hill and Ardmore area. I need the Septa access.

We've decided we like both areas a lot, but haven't quite gotten a feel for the following:
1) People: Age, "hipness", etc. How many others will we find in our age group. I think we're both pretty down to earth. I'm pretty laid back, my girlfriend is a bit faster paced than me. I like artsy-music people and smart people, but mostly care that they're friendly people and doing-something-with-their-life people. Pretty progressive politically.
2) Food: My girlfriend's really big about getting organic foods, is gluten free, etc. How's the grocery situation? Trader Joe's in Ardmore is great, but a little small.
3) Restaurants: We like food. Good ethnic/Asian stuff a lot.
4) Outdoors: Love the park/hiking near Chestnut hill and Wissahickon. Any parks near Ardmore worth going to? (I feel trapped when all I see is concrete.)
5) Bars/nightlife: We always enjoy some good fun music. Or just a bar with a good selection and a decent crowd of friendly people.
6) Shopping n just walking around: Would be nice to be able to just walk around and check out stuff - not the big chain stores I see around Ardmore; smaller shops with whatever.

If anybody wants to recommend areas other than Chestnut Hill/Ardmore that might fit the bill, please do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
My personal preference is Chestnut Hill, mainly because I think Germantown Ave. is a lot nicer than Lancaster Ave. For your organic food, you'll find the Weavers Way coop more than fits the organic food bill. There are a fair amount of restaurants of varying quality - two Asian places off the top of my head are Hokka Hokka and Cin Cin, both near the bottom of the hill. For bars you have a couple of newer places like Chestnut 7 and Iron Hill Brewery as well as old standards like McNally's. The Mermaid Inn has music just about every night of the week. And, as you mentioned, the park is a great asset to the area. I admittedly don't know as much about Ardmore, as it's a place I tend to just drive through.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:23 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
1) Chestnut Hill is IN Phila -- Ardmore is not. Your city wage tax will be higher if you live in the city.
You'll have to pay SOME -- but it will be less if you live outside the city. (unless they've jacked it up on suburbanites)

2) Will you use public transit to commute into CC or drive to work? Ardmore would be a little longer commute. You'd likely take the regional rail lines from both places, just different lines, and Ardmore is a little farther out.

Also depending on WHERE you rent, it might be easier to walk to a CH station, since there are two of them -- AND still be walking distance from 'the action and amenities' you're looking for. You COULD be walking distance from both in Ardmore I THINK, but because it is a suburb it might be less likely, that's all.

3) Also do you even HAVE to be walking distance to both? Would you rather be walking distance to a train station for your daily commute -- and be willing to drive to the 'action and amenities' since you might not do that daily? Also try to find out -- IF you to drive to a train station -- whether parking near or at that station is FREE or NOT. Because that could be a cost as well -- one you wouldn't have if you WALK to the station. (of course if you drive to work, you'll pay for parking downtown)

(I drive everywhere. But I know some people are big on "walking." When I go to Chestnut Hill or Ardmore I just drive, and park. But I'll drive two blocks to go somewhere.)

**FINALLY -- How about living in the CH AREA -- but just outside the city -- like Lafayette Hill, Flourtown, Erdenheim, or Wyndmoor.

IF driving time to other family is important? -- which is closer CH or Ardmore?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,067 times
I love Ardmore, it's great. But there really is no comparison, if you have to pick one, Chestnut Hill wins easily.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Why are we even talking about Ardmore vs. Chestnut Hill? Ardmore is on the Main Line, some 11 tortuous miles away. The two areas are so much different in every aspect.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why are we even talking about Ardmore vs. Chestnut Hill?
Maybe it's because the title of the thread is 'Deciding between Ardmore and Chestnut Hill'

Old 03-04-2013, 10:29 AM

53 posts, read 102,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why are we even talking about Ardmore vs. Chestnut Hill? Ardmore is on the Main Line, some 11 tortuous miles away. The two areas are so much different in every aspect.
Look at a map. Ardmore is actually closer to Center city than Chestnut Hill. Not to mention it is easier to get to and from center city from Ardmore than it is from Chestnut Hill.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by two View Post
If anybody wants to recommend areas other than Chestnut Hill/Ardmore that might fit the bill, please do so.
East or West Mt Airy would be good, too. Good restaurants. Close to the amenities that have already been pointed out in Chestnut Hill. Plus, you generally get more bang for your real estate $ and you're a tad closer to the Trader Joe's (and Whole Paycheck) in Abington.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
two two started this thread

4 posts, read 9,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
Look at a map. Ardmore is actually closer to Center city than Chestnut Hill. Not to mention it is easier to get to and from center city from Ardmore than it is from Chestnut Hill.
Yep, if I choose Ardmore:
- Septa ride to work is shorter.
- Septa rides back from center city run later, and there are more busses.
- It is easier to find nice places (e.g., modern appliances, balcony or private entrance) a short walk to location's amenities that also have a good parking situation.

I have a son in middle school and other family and friends who will visit occasionally, so I care that the place is safe and respectable - especially per my son's mother's standards (and also my girlfriend's father who is very wary of Philadelphia and has voiced concerns).

It would be easier to search if I actually were living in Philly - in which case I might be more interested in downtown options. But currently I am working a 9-5 in Philly which entails a 2 hour commute each way. So with limited viewing time, and a need to appease other's concerns regarding safety and such, narrowing down to Ardmore and Chestnut hill has made the most sense.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
Yeah, but the drive to Chestnut Hill from Center City is very scenic and fun with all the curves. The combination of Kelly Drive and then Lincoln Drive is so much better than any route to Ardmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia