Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,537 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, been lurking here for a bit to get information and thought I'd take the plunge and register to ask for help.

My wife and I are both in our late 20s and moving back to Philly from Boston this Summer. We have both previously lived in Philly and I got a job in University City. My wife is still looking for a job. I was initially looking in Old City, Northern Liberties and Art Museum areas for a place to live but was getting a bit discouraged. Ideally would like to get a place that is 900+ sq ft (years of living in Boston has made us long for space). Started looking around the City Ave area since I knew it a little from my time in East Falls. Seems that we can get what we are looking for in places there but I am worried about the commute to University City from there (want to avoid 76 at all costs) and unsure what Belmont is like during rush hour. Any help in answering how long this commute is or directing us in helping find a place is greatly appreciated.

When are you moving? End of June
Where are you coming from? Boston but lived in East Falls for 5 years (05-10)
Why are you moving? Work/wanted to come home
Where will you be working? University City
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Any How much can you spend? Ideally keep it under 1600
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? No preference

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Probably PA

Are you married or single? Married Do you have children? None
Do you prefer public or private schools? Doesn't matter, will move again before having kids
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? At least 1 and depending on wife's job search could end up needing to keep 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Like a mix but prefer calm over bustling

What do you want to be closest to? Work and basic services
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Similar age but not a big deal

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,575,416 times
Have you looked right in University City itself?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,105,933 times
Is your job medical/on-call work?

Just wondering why you would drive to U. City? I would look around Baltimore Ave. first, then east along the El, then in South Philly, then near a regional rail station in the 'burbs.

For $1600 you can get a nice house bigger than 900 s/f in NoLibs/Fishtown or South Philly

Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,760,780 times
The drive through West Philly isn't bad at all once you learn the route to take.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Have you looked right in University City itself?
I have but to be honest I don't love the neighborhood that much outside of right around the hospitals (and most of that is all UPenn buildings with not much housing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Is your job medical/on-call work?

Just wondering why you would drive to U. City? I would look around Baltimore Ave. first, then east along the El, then in South Philly, then near a regional rail station in the 'burbs.

For $1600 you can get a nice house bigger than 900 s/f in NoLibs/Fishtown or South Philly
My job is medical/on call so need to be within 30 min, will be pager call so ideally the closer the better since I can return home when there isn't anything going on. I would only be looking to drive if I was out in the City Ave area etc. If I was in Old City/Art Museum/NoLibs I'd be taking Septa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The drive through West Philly isn't bad at all once you learn the route to take.
Would you say its more or less than 30 minutes?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM

53 posts, read 102,140 times
Can you people look at a map? Ardmore is not further from center city than Chestnut hill, and there are no major thououghfares to take you directly into center city from Chestnut Hill.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,651,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwrister View Post
I have but to be honest I don't love the neighborhood that much outside of right around the hospitals (and most of that is all UPenn buildings with not much housing).
I think people are referring to the neighborhoods that surround University City, such as Spruce Hill. You could walk to work some days... and take a trolley to work on rainy/cold days.

Google maps of the area
philadelphia - Google Maps

Old 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think people are referring to the neighborhoods that surround University City, such as Spruce Hill. You could walk to work some days... and take a trolley to work on rainy/cold days.

Google maps of the area
philadelphia - Google Maps

how far west is considered safe? I feel like I can take care of myself but worry about my wife having to walk around. Ive heard south of Market is good but heard differing opinions (44th to 50th) about how far west to go.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,651,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwrister View Post
how far west is considered safe? I feel like I can take care of myself but worry about my wife having to walk around. Ive heard south of Market is good but heard differing opinions (44th to 50th) about how far west to go.
50th street seems to be the line of gentrification, but that pushes further every year. So I would say anything east of 50th is fine.... past 50th is where it can get sketchy.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,205,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullligan150 View Post
Can you people look at a map? Ardmore is not further from center city than Chestnut hill, and there are no major thououghfares to take you directly into center city from Chestnut Hill.
I think you are mixing up threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: