Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM

469 posts, read 924,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I'd say Philadelphia is a lot more diverse than it was 50 years ago.
Some parts of Philly is diverse because of the force of the law and those areas the whites are moving out. Then you have other areas that are diverse by choice and you will have a melting pot of different races moving in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,217,724 times
I just read the article and my take it 'meh'. So everyone has a race story. Ok fine I guess (I actually can't think of one). But we all have stories about everything. The rude old woman. The older guy who didn't pick up after his dog. The group of loud, dirty looking people (white) who hung out in Rittenhouse Square a couple of summers ago, the annoying bikers who ignore the road rules.

If someone asks about one specific type of group in the city we can all come up with a story about that kind of group.

So I say pffft to this story. Of course my only experience has been with Center City and I certainly haven't seen any evidence of whites moving out. Quite the reverse actually. I don't think CC is as racially diverse as it could be.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I just read the article and my take it 'meh'. So everyone has a race story. Ok fine I guess (I actually can't think of one). But we all have stories about everything. The rude old woman. The older guy who didn't pick up after his dog. The group of loud, dirty looking people (white) who hung out in Rittenhouse Square a couple of summers ago, the annoying bikers who ignore the road rules.

If someone asks about one specific type of group in the city we can all come up with a story about that kind of group.

So I say pffft to this story. Of course my only experience has been with Center City and I certainly haven't seen any evidence of whites moving out. Quite the reverse actually. I don't think CC is as racially diverse as it could be.

Center city and University City is a mix of all races which is why both are my favorite areas of the city

Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,151,003 times
Here's an article about the Mayor's reaction a to the Philadelphia Magazine article as well the columnist's thoughts on it.

Even more relevant, it looks like Philadelphia Magazine will be holding a summit tonight at the National Constitution Center to discuss the article and broader subject. The author of the Being White in Philly article will be on the panel. Also note in the same article that Philadelphia Magazine's editor plans to meet with the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists at the Inquirer/Daily News HQ on 8th and Market tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,511 times
what the difference between whites in philly vs white in other cities with large african american populations such as DC, NYC,Chicago, atlanta.

Seems like philly focuses more on race than the poverty. I believe that philly has a larger poverty problem than those other cities.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,988,683 times
More than 1/2 the posts to this thread give credence to what the writer of the article was saying.

Even the freaking mayor and some commission want to investigate him and the periodical for printing the article????

Cut the B.S. - growing up in a city, I had plenty of incidences where injustices and crimes were commited against me by blacks. It was a lot of petty crimes, and bullying...but I was never allowed to make a complaint. In school the teachers would defend the blacks, and the cops bought peace with them by letting them get over on the white guy. (Only the more serious crimes got attention).

And this nonsense about "History"...Get over it...Most of us whites here are children or grandchildren of families that escaped or were encouraged to leave their home countries due to injustices. From 1900 to the present how many blacks were killed in this country simply because of who they were?..Compare that to other countries, even small countries.

Did you ever hear about the potato famine, and how many people starved.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:07 AM

289 posts, read 338,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
More than 1/2 the posts to this thread give credence to what the writer of the article was saying.

Even the freaking mayor and some commission want to investigate him and the periodical for printing the article????

Cut the B.S. - growing up in a city, I had plenty of incidences where injustices and crimes were commited against me by blacks. It was a lot of petty crimes, and bullying...but I was never allowed to make a complaint. In school the teachers would defend the blacks, and the cops bought peace with them by letting them get over on the white guy. (Only the more serious crimes got attention).

And this nonsense about "History"...Get over it...Most of us whites here are children or grandchildren of families that escaped or were encouraged to leave their home countries due to injustices. From 1900 to the present how many blacks were killed in this country simply because of who they were?..Compare that to other countries, even small countries.

There is definitely a double standard.

I was listening to an attorney on the radio one night and he claims if they started charging blacks with the hate crimes they're commiting against whites and Asians, the system would become so backed up, nothing would get done.
It seems like the behavior is expected of them.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
what the difference between whites in philly vs white in other cities with large african american populations such as DC, NYC,Chicago, atlanta.

Seems like philly focuses more on race than the poverty. I believe that philly has a larger poverty problem than those other cities.
One major difference is that the middle/upper-class blacks as a percentage of all blacks in those other cities/metros - particularly in DC and the ATL - is considerably higher than in Philly. One could argue that the title of the article should have been "Being Middle/Upper-Class White In Philly When Interacting with the Prevalent Poor/Working-Class Black Community".

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post

I'm sorry to read that you had to face bullying and other crimes in an unsupportive school environment. Given that your black peers were the primary culprits, I can understand how you would have lingering negative feelings. Racism can work in more multiple directions, for sure.

Regarding your views on history, not only is it comparing apples to oranges IMO but your point of reference is too short. A time frame starting in say, the 1600's, would be a better comparison albeit one that might not support your theory.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Here is a recap on the Philadelphia Magazine editor's meeting at the Constitution Center on Monday night as well as the meeting with local black journalists on Tuesday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia