Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly better or worst?
Better. 47 85.45%
Worst. 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,526 times

Advertisements

I think the tax base, crime and waterfront is the KEY to Philadelphia's success. With the taxes down more buisnesses with flock to our city. With crime down, schools will perform better, and bring a bright future to Philly. With the waterfront completely developed, Philly will "re"enter the scene as a world class city it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I think the tax base, crime and waterfront is the KEY to Philadelphia's success. With the taxes down more buisnesses with flock to our city. With crime down, schools will perform better, and bring a bright future to Philly. With the waterfront completely developed, Philly will "re"enter the scene as a world class city it once was.
That's actually the opposite. With better schools comes less crime.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
how could anyone honestly say Philadelphia is not getting better unless they are a true Philly basher/hater?
I just think that "better" can be a double edged sword, and also is totally relative to who you're talking to, and a chosen time frame.
For example, the neighborhood I grew up in, and where much of my family in Philly lives (Germantown) is certainly looking to be poised for an upswing right now - compared to how it's been for the last 10 years - but relative to how it was 25+ years ago, it has declined tragically, and would have a long way to go to even get back to that level, much less surpass it. Same is true of many other areas.
And I would not discount anyone's honest opinion or call them a basher/hater if they had stuck it out for that time period, and that was their viewpoint on the city.
Heck, I even miss some things about the "old" Center City (but maybe I'm just a weirdo).

Old 03-07-2013, 12:11 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That's actually the opposite. With better schools comes less crime.
Egg, meet Chicken!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
It's getting wurst. I love wurst, especially with some really ripe sauerkraut!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I just think that "better" can be a double edged sword, and also is totally relative to who you're talking to, and a chosen time frame.
For example, the neighborhood I grew up in, and where much of my family in Philly lives (Germantown) is certainly looking to be poised for an upswing right now - compared to how it's been for the last 10 years - but relative to how it was 25+ years ago, it has declined tragically, and would have a long way to go to even get back to that level, much less surpass it. Same is true of many other areas.
And I would not discount anyone's honest opinion or call them a basher/hater if they had stuck it out for that time period, and that was their viewpoint on the city.
Heck, I even miss some things about the "old" Center City (but maybe I'm just a weirdo).
Oh without a doubt, I agree completely. Someones mindset depends on where they live... and there is no doubt there are some neighborhoods in decline, but there are triple if not quadruple the neighborhoods on the up. Still, anyone who can look at things with an open mind can see that the city as a whole is on the up and getting better, even if we have to sacrifice a few neighborhoods to make that happen. IDK about you, and IDK why some people can't see this, but a vibrant and healthy core is MUCH more important for the city than healthy fringe neighborhoods. Would love to see Germantown revitalized though. So much history there. It would also get tourists up to the Northwest to explore other fantastic neighborhoods like Manayunk, Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill

Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
i voted 'worst' because its funny

worst?

thats like people posting "better then....." instead of "better than...."

Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i voted 'worst' because its funny

worst?

thats like people posting "better then....." instead of "better than...."
haha I was about to say, I was looking at the people here who voted "worst" and your name stuck out. You always seemed like a reasonable poster who would sometimes spar with some of the philly posters with overly rose tinted glasses, but wasn't unreasonably negative.

People have a right to their own opinion and people can disagree as to where exactly philly stands right now. but it's certainly better off than it was 10, 20, 30. 40 years ago and has been on a positive upswing for roughly 20 years now. Anyone who disagree either doesn't know what they're talking about or focuses too much on some outlying neighborhoods that have declined. Taking a broad view of the entire city though the trend is clear.

as others have pointed out, that is not to say there aren't still plenty of challenges on the road ahead.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM

287 posts, read 340,949 times
Philly's better than New York those days. And a lot cleaner.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
haha I was about to say, I was looking at the people here who voted "worst" and your name stuck out. You always seemed like a reasonable poster who would sometimes spar with some of the philly posters with overly rose tinted glasses, but wasn't unreasonably negative.

People have a right to their own opinion and people can disagree as to where exactly philly stands right now. but it's certainly better off than it was 10, 20, 30. 40 years ago and has been on a positive upswing for roughly 20 years now. Anyone who disagree either doesn't know what they're talking about or focuses too much on some outlying neighborhoods that have declined. Taking a broad view of the entire city though the trend is clear.

as others have pointed out, that is not to say there aren't still plenty of challenges on the road ahead.
i think philly's a great city. i do think that there's too many chronic posters making it look ridiculous

some ppl need to relax.
if you're a great city, ppl will tell you

AND, its an internet message board..the lowest medium to discuss anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia