U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 AM

13 posts, read 44,192 times

Advertisements

Hi again everyone! Its been a long time since I first posted that might be relocating.. now its official. We are waiting to sell our house here in MO, but hubby is already out there and looking at potential neighborhoods. I remember (William I think) saying that the Wallingford/Swarthmore/Media area was good.... but Im wondering specifically about the area by Rose Tree Elementary School off of 1. Is this a good area? There are a few older homes in that general vicinity that are listed now in our price range that need some updating (some that need a LOT of updating) but Im assuming once we did the work it would be a very nice place to live.
any thoughts appreciated!
Chrissy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM

179 posts, read 992,171 times
glad to hear things are going well for your sale. You have picked a very nice area. I live right down the street in Newtown Square off route 252. Rose tree is a good school district. Other than havertown and radnor which are the top 2 in delaware county you've made a good choice. Media is a really nice town which is close by and you have great access to everything from that location.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Thanks!

Glad to hear thats a good area! We could'nt find anything in Havertown, but have found several in the Media area that look promising. We have not sold our home here yet... and have not had any showings either... but I have high hopes that it will be sold by Christmas. I know its probably a stretch of the imagination, but Im still hoping.
Thanks for the tips!
Chrissy

Old 10-07-2006, 08:54 PM

Default Hey William...

How do you feel about Yeadon?
Someone said it was nice... but I am looking online at some houses there and the prices are making me think maybe not.
Chrissy

Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 AM

Default one more..

how do you feel about Norristown in Mont. Co?

Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM

179 posts, read 992,171 times
unfortunately those are two areas where you would want to avoid. Yeadon is a decent neighborhood in a bad area, plus taxes are high there versus the home's value. Norristown is also a bad area, the outskirts are areas you can find something decent but more in the west or east norrition areas. avoid the downtown of norristown.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 14,474 times
Hi! just posted this for someone else trying to relocate... Many of my friends children go to Media Elementary! Beautiful! Great School District!

See below (previously posted)

Small-time feel with convenient living! Historic downtown, accessible by car, bus, or trolley (Route 101 SEPTA,) or take Regional Rail (R3 SEPTA) to and from University City, 30th Street Station, and beyond! Look at surrounding boroughs, I'm in Upper Providence, but I lived and worked in Downtown Media for years!

Many different price points available, diverse community… local sites include large parks, museums, historical societies, small businesses, great restaurants, and two local theaters. Easy driving to neighboring States; close to the “Blue Route” (Route 476) which takes you to Interstate 95 and the Northeast extension (Route 476.)

We are the County Seat; with our historic courthouse right down town. Currently in the middle of a “Street Scape” project…Media is already looking beautiful, while keeping its quaint charm! We have recently become America’s FIRST FAIR TRADE TOWN, and host many community events throughout the year!

Good Luck with wherever you decide to live, but I LOVE MY HOMETOWN!

Come to Media, PA “Everybody’s Hometown.”

Old 12-03-2006, 10:36 PM

8 posts, read 55,052 times
Media is wonderful. The Rose-Tree Media Shool District is very good. We actually live in Media but our son attends the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District which we feel is even better. We moved from CA and I grew up in small town Illinois so we were looking for the (a) the best schools, (b) in a friendly/more working class/diverse community, and (c) as close to Philly as we could get but still getting A and B. I designed the website at www.RealEstateMadeEasy.us (broken link) so you all are welcome to look for homes there. No registration and big photos. Everyone here is really friendly. Shoot us an email and maybe you and me and miss.pigeon can have lunch and a tour of the area. P.S. Good luck on your home sale. December is a tough month for that!!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 10,629 times
Default Yeadon - not so bad

I live in Yeadon and it's not a bad area. I think people say that because it's largelyt African American. Believe it or not, not a black people are criminals. Yeadon does have it's issues, the taxes are on par with the area, but they aren't being used effectively. There was a bad idea to offer tax abatement to low income families, so we've had an influx of people move into Yeadon who don't belong here. We are ridding ourselves of them and slowly beginning to rebuild our community.

The William Penn School District is awful, and that's not just a Yeadon problem. I wouldn't recommend it at all. I know this is a late response, but if you can move to Media, do it. Wallingford is awesome. Their high school rates high on the list of PA highschools. I send my kids to a charter school in Philly.

My two cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or