Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM

287 posts, read 340,606 times

Advertisements

Who thinks Philly will pull a New York 1990's comeback this decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Well, two of the wealthiest counties in America are situated on the border of Wayne County/Detroit. Extremely vibrant core though? Not a chance.
Obviously Detroit has wealth... the car industry was entirely based there and to this day (although a small industry), it still operates in Detroit... but the amount of wealth in the Philly burbs is larger than that in Detroit's burbs.

Gladwyne, PA is the 7th wealthiest area in the country. Villanova is up there too.... wealthier than anything Detroit has

http://images.businessweek.com/slide...s-2011#slide46

Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Who thinks Philly will pull a New York 1990's comeback this decade?
You've said this before and usually you seem to be just baiting people, but I genuinely believe Philly is poised to take off.
I don't know if Philly's future growth could be compared to NYC or any other city really but it should be historical.
Many issues to address but the pieces are there.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Obviously Detroit has wealth... the car industry was entirely based there and to this day (although a small industry), it still operates in Detroit... but the amount of wealth in the Philly burbs is larger than that in Detroit's burbs.

Gladwyne, PA is the 7th wealthiest area in the country. Villanova is up there too.... wealthier than anything Detroit has

America
I thought Villanova was the richest place in the area. Guess not.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:25 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:
All of these types of lists and rankings vary wildly based on methodology (eg: net worth vs household income vs average property values, etc). Their main purpose is as click/view magnets, of course.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
They all use different methodologies as rotodome pointed out... but using Zip codes and Median Household incomes, Gladwyne is the wealthiest, followed by Villanova.

Ironically I just posted something about the wealthiest Zips in the area here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...hilly-has.html

Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Honestly, I think Philadelphia will undergo the most significant demographic changes of any extra-large city by the 2020 Census. Yeah, there are still a lot of significant problems, but some of them will only require demographic phasing to change significantly. Did anybody catch where the report said that 45% of all foreign immigrants in Philadelphia have arrived since 2000? That means almost as many have arrived in the last 12 years as in the previous 60 years (or so) combined. If that pace keeps up, then the city and the metropolitan area will become significantly more diverse because most immigrants these days come from Asia and Latin America (and increasingly from Africa), rather than Europe. Considering the city was already 6% Asian and 12% Hispanic by 2010, it wouldn't surprise me if it's nearly 10% Asian and nearly 20% Hispanic by 2020.

Also, the percentage of adults ages 25 to 34 with a college degree skyrocketed. All other adult-aged cohorts in the city were below-average with regard to college attainment, but the 25-34 cohort was above average. Expect the city to get significantly "smarter" in the next 10 years.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:18 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Honestly, I think Philadelphia will undergo the most significant demographic changes of any extra-large city by the 2020 Census. Yeah, there are still a lot of significant problems, but some of them will only require demographic phasing to change significantly. Did anybody catch where the report said that 45% of all foreign immigrants in Philadelphia have arrived since 2000? That means almost as many have arrived in the last 12 years as in the previous 60 years (or so) combined. If that pace keeps up, then the city and the metropolitan area will become significantly more diverse because most immigrants these days come from Asia and Latin America (and increasingly from Africa), rather than Europe. Considering the city was already 6% Asian and 12% Hispanic by 2010, it wouldn't surprise me if it's nearly 10% Asian and nearly 20% Hispanic by 2020.

Also, the percentage of adults ages 25 to 34 with a college degree skyrocketed. All other adult-aged cohorts in the city were below-average with regard to college attainment, but the 25-34 cohort was above average. Expect the city to get significantly "smarter" in the next 10 years.
The numbers in the report are amazing Philly has a bright future

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 AM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
They all use different methodologies as rotodome pointed out... but using Zip codes and Median Household incomes, Gladwyne is the wealthiest, followed by Villanova.

Ironically I just posted something about the wealthiest Zips in the area here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...hilly-has.html
A map of the wealth ZIPS from PEW from 2010-2012

Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM

287 posts, read 340,606 times
Anyone notice that Center City Philly is the ONLY downtown that scored in the 90's for walkability, transit, and bikeability? This is one proof that Philly has the best downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia