Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times

Advertisements

Out of the 100 Wealthiest Zip Codes in PA... 76 of them are in the Philadelphia Metro.

It also has the #1 wealthiest Zip Code in Gladwyne, PA

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...l#post28865184

Here are the 20 wealthiest in the Philly metro:

1. Gladwyne
2. Villanova
3. Merion
4. Washington Crossing
5. Dresher
6. Thornton
7. Richboro
8. Berwyn
9. Chadds Ford
10. Landenberg
11. Jamison
12. Chester Springs
13. Furlong
14. Wynnewood
15. Blue Bell
16. Wayne
17. Lafayette Hill
18. Haverford
19. Glenmoore
20. Newtown

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 03-27-2013 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Not a surprise at all. Some are among the wealthiest in the country. I would like to show this list to the rural folks in the middle of the state who think southeastern Pa is a giant ghetto because of Philadelphia, and complain every time the state does anything for the city. Pennsylvania would be an embarrassing state if it wasn't for our 5 county region (sorry Pittsburgh)

I still am surprised why swarthmore ranks all the way at 55. Glen mills has climbed a lot over the past decade as well.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: that stereotype is considered inappropriate for the forum.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM

154 posts, read 322,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not a surprise at all. Some are among the wealthiest in the country. I would like to show this list to the rural folks in the middle of the state who think southeastern Pa is a giant ghetto because of Philadelphia, and complain every time the state does anything for the city. Pennsylvania would be an embarrassing state if it wasn't for our 5 county region (sorry Pittsburgh)

I still am surprised why swarthmore ranks all the way at 55. Glen mills has climbed a lot over the past decade as well.
They don't think southeastern PA is a ghetto, they think Philadelphia "the city" is. And they're right. most of those with the money that make these zip codes wealthy have next to nothing to do with the city and the few that do, are laughing all the way back to their estates, after they slummed it downtown. don't kid yourself, the metro area and the city couldn't be more different.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: updated edited quote and reference to it

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
The rural folks don't think southeastern PA is a ghetto, they think Philadelphia "the city" is. And they're right. most of those with the money that make these zip codes wealthy have next to nothing to do with the city and the few that do, are laughing all the way back to their estates, after they slummed it downtown. don't kid yourself, the metro area and the city couldn't be more different.
My point was that people from the other side of the state lump southeastern PA into one group, some even say we should be a part of new jersey. From my experiences of travelling across the state, I have many times told people I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia, and many of the people have straight up told me how does it feel to escape that trash bin or ghetto. I was stunned, by the ignorance of the comments i received, I tried to clarify but many dont want to here it. Its just a total lack of knowledge for the area as a whole. Of course not everyone is like that, people in Pittsburgh/Harrisburg are aware of that.

Though night and day as far as wealthy educated suburbanites, that is a different story. I know the majority of the wealth is in the 4 counties around the city where I to reside, but I rarely hear people from the wealthy suburbs trash Philadelphia unless they are new to the area or just a complete snob who has not been to the city in years.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: updating edited portion of quote

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
They don't think southeastern PA is a ghetto, they think Philadelphia "the city" is. And they're right. most of those with the money that make these zip codes wealthy have next to nothing to do with the city and the few that do, are laughing all the way back to their estates, after they slummed it downtown. don't kid yourself, the metro area and the city couldn't be more different.
You have no idea what you are talking about especially slumming it downtown.

Philadelphia is the cultural,entertainment, higher educational, and main business hub of the region. There is much interaction with wealthy suburbanites and Philaldephia.

From April to Nov Center City has more vibrancy than the rest of the region combined.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: updating edited portion of quote

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
none of those neighborhoods are in philly

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 PM

154 posts, read 322,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about especially slumming it downtown.

Philadelphia is the cultural,entertainment, higher educational, and main business hub of the region. There is much interaction with wealthy suburbanites and Philaldephia.

From April to Nov Center City has more vibrancy than the rest of the region combined.
well, I lived in Philadelphia for the last 15 years, East falls, Manayunk, and Old city. I lived in South Philly for ten of the last eleven years, I moved to the burbs last year, and I still work in center city. I grew up in Pennsyltucky, right in the ... middle of it. So i know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

the wealthy people from the burbs come into the city for dinner, maybe hit a show on the ave and they're gone. they leave and go back to the safety of the burbs. the interaction you speak of happens, maybe, when they are waiting for the car to be brought around by the valet; or if they are living green for the night, when they walk to the train.

the metro area outside philly is rich, one of the richest in the country in fact, no question. but don't lump the city into that because center city, though making a comeback and yes it is vibrant, it makes up a very minute percentage of the whole city of Philadelphia. Over 90% of Philly is not anything like center city, at all. yes there are some great areas, yes there is culture and wealth, but there is far, far more crime and poverty. and the rest of the state does look down on Philly (not the metro) for that and yes they should, because for the most part, it's true.

and as for the slumming comment, I didn't mean "I" think that, but that is by far the attitude I've experienced living in the burbs the last year. when i tell people (my new neighbors) I work in the city, they look at me like I just said I club baby seals for sport. but you can't blame them, when something happens bad in the burbs, 9 times out of ten, the perpetrator is from Philly.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Having grown up in western PA, Philadelphia is considered "not pennsylvania". And now I can confirm... It is apart of the northeastern line of cities of Boston to DC. It owes it's culture to that, not to the state.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Having grown up in western PA, Philadelphia is considered "not pennsylvania". And now I can confirm... It is apart of the northeastern line of cities of Boston to DC. It owes it's culture to that, not to the state.
There is no one monolithic Pennsylvania state culture though. Scranton/Wilkes Barre are different from Harrisburg/York Lancaster, which are different from Altoona, which is different from Erie, which is different from Pittsburgh, which is different from the Lehigh Valley...

I do agree that Philadelphia is firmly aligned with the BosWash megalopolis, whereas most of the rest of the state (other than Reading; along with the Lehigh Valley, and to a lesser extent, Scranton, which are starting to become aligned within the New York sphere of influence) is more "interior" Northeastern/Appalachian.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

What's the difference between people across the state considering SE PA a giant ghetto and people from Philly considering people across the state uncultured rural folk? Seems silly to criticize one while doing the other.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: updating edited portion of quote/editing reference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia