Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better northeast or Northwest
Northwest 51 75.00%
Northeast 18 26.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Who made these comparisons? I have not seen them.
One example

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGC10783 View Post
Lived in lower NE Phi for 2.5 years and still own a house there. The houses are small and the neighborhoods are stuggling mightily, I don't think it can really compete with NW at the moment. It is quite affordable however, decent transit available, and most of the houses have front and backyards, as opposed to rowhouse neighborhoods in South Philly. I lived about 20 blocks from the FTC when I was there, and since I didn't have a car, would ride my bike to and from the train station. I got the impression that the people there were generally not very happy, and not open to neighborhood change or outsiders moving in. There were neighbors on the block I lived on who lived directly next to eachother and who I never once saw say a word to eachother in 2.5 years. There was an old Portugese lady living next door to me, and she said there were neighbors there she hadn't spoken to in the 5 years she lived there. I don't really know what the deal is with them, but if someone asked me honestly whether I would recommend moving there, I would tell them absolutely not.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what happens there in the next ten years.
While not completely false, this comment only represents a small portion of the Norteast and is not typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Besides Center City the NE and NW make up the most affluent areas in the city. If you work for the city or have to stay within city limits a neighborhood in those two areas is great.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Besides Center City the NE and NW make up the most affluent areas in the city. If you work for the city or have to stay within city limits a neighborhood in those two areas is great.
I'm almost positive some areas in Lower North and South Philadelphia are "more affluent" than most of the Northeast

Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'm almost positive some areas in Lower North and South Philadelphia are "more affluent" than most of the Northeast
You are probably right i was just viewing the PEW report on median income in the city by Zipcode seems the majority not all of the higher income zipcodes where in the northeast and northwest.

But im sure there are some in the lower north and south philly as well just not the whole Zipcode. Also the average income per zipcode could be totally different numbers as well from the median income numbers on the Pew report.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Quote:
Surprisingly the Lower Northeast has density matching south and north Philly. And the upper northeast is surprisingly( even to me) not known or explored by Philadelphians. Do y'all know that there are mansions up there?!! It's so far from center city no one notices it. Without the upper N.E. Phillys density would increase.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Surprisingly the Lower Northeast has density matching south and north Philly. And the upper northeast is surprisingly( even to me) not known or explored by Philadelphians. Do y'all know that there are mansions up there?!! It's so far from center city no one notices it. Without the upper N.E. Phillys density would increase.
Yeah i actually spend more time in the Northwest than the Upper Northeast. the only reason i go to upper northeast is to visit friends or the franklin mills mall.

But there are some very beautiful mansions up there.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah i got my info from this map from PEW 2013 state of philadelphia

Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Quote:
I think the density is mostly due to their being more public transit options in the Lower NE and generally much more walkable - so it's a lot more accessible to the rest of the city.

And, yes, the upper Northeast has some pretty awesome houses - especially the closer you get to Franklin Mills.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Some people forget that Northeast Philly is the most populated section in the city. So it doesn't really surprise me that the Northeast has density levels that rival both North and South Philly.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 04-04-2013 at 03:21 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Yeah i got my info from this map from PEW 2013 state of philadelphia
I know... but using zip codes is finicky in the city because of high population densities and renters, retirees, PHA housing, wealthy, middle income, lower income, students, etc. etc. can all live several blocks from each, and zipcodes cover wide areas. Median housing values is probably the best way to determine wealth in a city neighborhood, it seeds out the students, PHA housing, retirees and low income renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia