Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Some of those tax dollars go to NJTransit.. if PA gave as much to public transit as NJ does maybe SEPTA wouldnt suck so much. OR SEPTA would take you to NYC with express service with restarting the Clockers but they didnt because PA didnt give them the money. Your tax dollars go to road expansion in middle of nowhere PA.
What's wrong with SEPTA? I think it's a great regional rail system. And why would a Southeast PA regional rail system take you all the way to NYC? That's what Amtrak is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
What's wrong with SEPTA? I think it's a great regional rail system. And why would a Southeast PA regional rail system take you all the way to NYC? That's what Amtrak is for.
how about because amtrak costs an arm and a leg to travel on.
anyway you can use septa to get to trenton if you need to, then hop the NJ transit to NY.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM

im pretty ampted to have come across this thread. i currently live in morrisville/falls twp in Bucks and work in Trenton. easiest commute ever. but i am interviewing for a much better job in NYC. if i get offered the job i really want to take the positiion. on my first interview i took the nj transit from trenton to newark penn, then the path to WTC. took around 1hr 45mins. thats a long ass commute for me. i just assumed that i couldnt afford amtrak. but it is a federal LE job and i wonder if i may be able to ride amtrak for free sometimes if i show my badge. yea sounds like an a-hole move but anyone would do it if they could.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
im pretty ampted to have come across this thread. i currently live in morrisville/falls twp in Bucks and work in Trenton. easiest commute ever. but i am interviewing for a much better job in NYC. if i get offered the job i really want to take the positiion. on my first interview i took the nj transit from trenton to newark penn, then the path to WTC. took around 1hr 45mins. thats a long ass commute for me. i just assumed that i couldnt afford amtrak. but it is a federal LE job and i wonder if i may be able to ride amtrak for free sometimes if i show my badge. yea sounds like an a-hole move but anyone would do it if they could.
Amtrak would obviously cut a lot of time off your commute. I just checked, and the cost of a monthly pass from Trenton to Newark is the same as Trenton to NYC ($1,044), which i found a bit surprising. Have to add cost of parking and PATH on top of that. Not cheap for sure.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM

there may be a discount for federal employees using transit, im not sure though. wondering if it changes the commute time much whether i go nj transit trenton-newark penn then the path to WTC or nj transit-new york penn then the subway to parkplace/city hall.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadlee View Post
Hello, my family and I will be moving in the near future from NJ. We have a few places in mind (and I'll be asking there, too), but one of them is the eastern Bucks County area, specifically the New Hope or Newtown area. The question is about commuting to NYC from eastern Bucks County, which I know sounds crazy.

Do many people commute to NYC every day? If so, what is the preferred method of mass transportation? Would one use a train from NJ, e.g., Hamilton Station)? Or is there a bus that goes to NYC directly? I heard there are private buses that run regularly or is that just a rumor because I have not found any buses that run regularly?

Thank you in advance for any help or info!
Geographically, parts of PA might be close enough to New York City to make it seem like it would be an easy commute, but it's not. Trains along the NJ Transit line make many stops before hitting Penn Station. I live 20 miles outside Manhattan and a train ride along the Raritan Valley Line takes nearly an hour because it makes so many stops. So I don't know how someone from PA could make it in an hour by train to NYPenn.

Driving is even worse. Traffic is brutal at rush hour and pretty much all the time. I commute to Staten Island (I live 14 miles from my destination on the island) and it can take me an hour and a half at rush hour. I don't even want to think about getting to Manhattan. Every morning when I listen to the radio and the "traffic report" comes on, they list off at LEAST 20 minute delays at each Hudson River crossing and same goes for evening rush. Then you have NJ highway traffic. It seems easier than it is, trust me. I travel 14 miles, from central Union County, NJ to northeastern Staten Island (the 2 counties border each other) and that's not even as simple as it seems.

I don't understand why people would put themselves through commuting from PA to NYC because it's not as close as you all think it is when you counter in traffic. Truly.

If you don't mind sitting in a car or on a train for well over a hour, though, then by all means do the commute. Is it doable? Yes, absolutely. Is it easy? Never. Sometimes, I wouldn't even recommend to someone my daily commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia