Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Dont get me wrong, Haddonfield is not for everyone. Its not a diverse town. It has a history of being raciest and anti-Semitic. The town had legal segregation of the races in the 1950's as well as blue laws and laws excluding jews. That is why when Jews moved out of Camden they set up in Cherry Hill. Because people in Haddonfield would not sell to them or let them open up businesses. The Woodcrest Country Club was set up because Tavistock would not let Jews be members. Recently there have been news stories of the Police department being anti-Semitic to Jews. Its still alot better than it was 50 years ago but its still a very WASP town unlike the Main Line.
Lower Merion had restrictive covenants too, though obviously the Jews still flocked there after the war, whereas, like you said, Cherry Hill (and in recent years Voorhees) became South Jersey's Jewish havens. Still, I read in a 1991 Jewish demographic survey of Burlington/Gloucester/Camden Counties that the Haddonfield zip code was about 10% Jewish, most of whom lived in the Borough itself. I'd imagine that number has remained stable through the years. I go to Haddonfield a fair bit, and I've had zero issues. Then again, I'm a visitor, not a resident, and I also don't look the least bit Jewish. Is there really that strong an anti-Semitic undercurrent, especially given the (not large though big enough to be significant) Jewish population?

Either way, the OP has mentioned nothing about Judaism, so I have a feeling this is a non-issue in their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,345 times
Im jewish and have had no personal problems with haddonfield. Its just the stories I hear. The point was that the town is not diverse. I wouldnt call 10% jewish diverse for suburban south jersey. There are not many black, latino, or other minorities in town. When ever i go there i see a lot of women shoping and eating. Lots of families but mainly white and upper class. lots of lawyers in town. Its just the way it is. IF the OP wants diversity they should probably go elsewhere. Collingswood maybe. Or they would love it and make it more than it is. I still think its the best town in South Jersey despite its flaws and wish the OP all the luck.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Im jewish and have had no personal problems with haddonfield. Its just the stories I hear. The point was that the town is not diverse. I wouldnt call 10% jewish diverse for suburban south jersey. There are not many black, latino, or other minorities in town. When ever i go there i see a lot of women shoping and eating. Lots of families but mainly white and upper class. lots of lawyers in town. Its just the way it is. IF the OP wants diversity they should probably go elsewhere. Collingswood maybe. Or they would love it and make it more than it is. I still think its the best town in South Jersey despite its flaws and wish the OP all the luck.
I didn't say Haddonfield was diverse. But 10% Jewish is a pretty decent concentration. Because Jews are overwhelmingly concentrated in certain areas, there really aren't all that many Greater Philadelphia municipalities that hit the mark. Other than Haddonfield, Cherry Hill and Voorhees are the only other ones in South Jersey before hitting Northfield/Linwood and Longport/Margate/Ventnor down the shore.

Like I was saying before, Lower Merion has a fair amount of diversity, but even that's in a very relative, suburban sense. But again, I don't think diversity is something the OP is worried about.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaterford View Post
Well a friend in South Jersey said to definitely use the public schools if we choose Haddonfield. I was just overwhelmed by the size of Lower Merion, and the plethora of private schools there makes a person wonder... But we could start with public and reconsider before 9th grade.
Really Lower Merion is not big, and the amount of money and resourses that school district has is incredible, there are endless options for students to excell. Often times the private schools are for the extremely wealthy, that is why there is such a big selection like HeavenWood said before. I personally believe that public schooling better for kids, unless you really just want to spend the money for private.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, Haddonfield is not for everyone. Its not a diverse town. It has a history of being raciest and anti-Semitic. The town had legal segregation of the races in the 1950's as well as blue laws and laws excluding jews. That is why when Jews moved out of Camden they set up in Cherry Hill. Because people in Haddonfield would not sell to them or let them open up businesses. The Woodcrest Country Club was set up because Tavistock would not let Jews be members. Recently there have been news stories of the Police department being anti-Semitic to Jews. Its still alot better than it was 50 years ago but its still a very WASP town unlike the Main Line.
Lower Merion today has changed, but it has long been known as a waspy, exclusive, monied community, similar to Connecticut/New York. Times are changing though, but there is still judgement everywhere.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Lower Merion today has changed, but it has long been known as a waspy, exclusive, monied community, similar to Connecticut/New York. Times are changing though, but there is still judgement everywhere.
It's a similar situation to Bethesda/Chevy Chase, Brookline/Newton, Scaradale/Mamaroneck, etc. etc. Jews and other groups of new money (in many case Irish and Italian Catholics) "thoroughly ruined" them by the '70s and '80s. Now, East/South Asians are starting to flock to them as well. But there's still a detectable old money vibe lingering in the background. Those are the sorts who tended to send their kids to private school--not necessarily the wealthiest people--but those who have had their affluence the longest (along with a fair share of new money imitators in old money clothing). I think living in a District like Lower Merion and still sending your kids to private school (barring some special need or strong religious conviction) is silly (not trying to cast judgment on people who do so--just my personal opinion), regardless of how much you're making. But I'm also "first generation." Maybe my future grandkids will feel differently.

What's really telling is the ultra-affluent towns that remain openly hostile to these newcomers (Darien, CT comes to mind). But I don't think Haddonfield falls into this category.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-08-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM

18 posts, read 39,645 times
Quote:
Thank you. We're Catholic but I'm most concerned about the schools, safety, and distance to the city. My kids went to a Jewish preschool because it was the best, and my friends are Reform, so obviously I wouldn't purposely move to an anti-Semitic town but this doesn't sound like the case.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:53 PM

18 posts, read 39,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Really Lower Merion is not big, and the amount of money and resourses that school district has is incredible, there are endless options for students to excell. Often times the private schools are for the extremely wealthy, that is why there is such a big selection like HeavenWood said before. I personally believe that public schooling better for kids, unless you really just want to spend the money for private.

No, you're right, and like I wrote earlier, the matriculation stats at most private don't warrant the tuition. I could only see paying for private if we choose to live right in Center City, and do something like Friends Select (our original thought). We're going to visit the Main Line, the city, and Haddonfield next weekend. Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 37,992 times
We moved to Haddonfield from Center City in 2008. We spent nearly a year and a half looking at communities on both sides of the river, and ultimately chose South Jersey due to:

1. PATCO - Train commute to Center City is about 35 minutes, including half-mile walks on both ends.
2. Schools - Kids were starting grade school at the time. We have been extremely happy with their experience so far.
3. Walkability - Kids walk to school from kindergarten on, and we walk to most in-town events.
4. Community - I grew up in a larger South Jersey township and didn't feel like there was a "sense of place" there, which is something we wanted. Haddonfield (and many of the smaller, older South Jersey towns) have that in spades. Whether that is good or not depends on your point of view, but it exists.
5. Older housing stock - We are probably in the minority, but we felt the tradeoff between the beauty of an older house vs the hassle of having only one bathroom and certain windows that refuse to open was a worth it. We love the tall, old trees (except during the hurricane).

If you look through some of my older posts, you'll find some additional thoughts on this question. Good luck with your search.

ETA - Michael Vitez's Philadelphia Inquirer article on the Haddons from 2005 sums it up quite nicely.

Last edited by mikec717; 04-09-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Added link to Mike Vitez article

Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec717 View Post
We moved to Haddonfield from Center City in 2008. We spent nearly a year and a half looking at communities on both sides of the river, and ultimately chose South Jersey due to:

1. PATCO - Train commute to Center City is about 35 minutes, including half-mile walks on both ends.
2. Schools - Kids were starting grade school at the time. We have been extremely happy with their experience so far.
3. Walkability - Kids walk to school from kindergarten on, and we walk to most in-town events.
4. Community - I grew up in a larger South Jersey township and didn't feel like there was a "sense of place" there, which is something we wanted. Haddonfield (and many of the smaller, older South Jersey towns) have that in spades. Whether that is good or not depends on your point of view, but it exists.
5. Older housing stock - We are probably in the minority, but we felt the tradeoff between the beauty of an older house vs the hassle of having only one bathroom and certain windows that refuse to open was a worth it. We love the tall, old trees (except during the hurricane).

If you look through some of my older posts, you'll find some additional thoughts on this question. Good luck with your search.

ETA - Michael Vitez's Philadelphia Inquirer article on the Haddons from 2005 sums it up quite nicely.
Well put Mike. Very true.. People who don't think the South Jersey small towns are not nice, never visited one.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec717 View Post

Keep in mind that nearly all suburbs on the Pa side have Septa regional rail access directly to center city, Paoli/Thorndale line serving lower merion.
All school districts around and including lower merion rank on par or above that of Haddonfield.
Walk-ability really only works if you live right in the small downtown's. However, much of lower merion is very walk-able, or a very short drive to all the destinations along Route 30.
Sense of community though I think is much better in the Media area still exists on the main line. And housing stock in lower merion has an exceptional variety.

Im just being bias again, but wanted to point out that Southeastern Pa has it all really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia