Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 04:52 AM

938 posts, read 446,403 times

Advertisements

Two more shootings in West Philly: A male died after being shot in the chest on the 4900 block of Reno Street and another man has been hospitalized after getting shot outside his home on the 5200 block of Hazel Street after departing a SEPTA bus. He was returning from work and has no idea why someone would want to shoot him. Scary.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
I'm not a big fan of this thread, but I do have to chime in because within a three months span, I have had three (3) coworkers shot/assaulted. All separate crimes with different circumstances (West Philly botched robbery/shooting, Chinatown assault, Center City assault). All three people were lawyers or legal assistants, and all three had no part in the crime (meaning, they were not the cause).

With that being said, WTH is going on in this city? The violence is getting worse. Much worse. And I've heard nothing from the Mayor or our Police. Is it just me?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I'm not a big fan of this thread, but I do have to chime in because within a three months span, I have had three (3) coworkers shot/assaulted. All separate crimes with different circumstances (West Philly botched robbery/shooting, Chinatown assault, Center City assault). All three people were lawyers or legal assistants, and all three had no part in the crime (meaning, they were not the cause).

With that being said, WTH is going on in this city? The violence is getting worse. Much worse. And I've heard nothing from the Mayor or our Police. Is it just me?
And the murder rate in the city is creeping up again this year.

I think it is a combo of a

1. wimpy do-nothing mayor
2. inexperienced and wimpy police commissioner
3. small-ish police force, lack of enforcement and presence
3. extremely high poverty rate
4. gangs and drug activity pushed into smaller areas due to the growth and spillover of CC into other parts of the city.
5. general lack of respect for authority, and anytime the police do their job they are chastised for it, most recently the hysteria of the police clearing out homeless in Suburban station on a cold night.
6. Do nothing city council that once again focuses its efforts on ridiculous "issues" like cash vs cashless stores. Forget lowering poverty and crime, as long as everyone can buy a salad at SweetGreen using cash, our problems are solved.

Philadelphia is a beautiful city with so many world class characteristics, but it is a** backwards in too many categories and nothing is changing about it.

I frankly don't know how to address these issues anymore without someone putting their foot down.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

4. gangs and drug activity pushed into smaller areas due to the growth and spillover of CC into other parts of the city.
5. general lack of respect for authority, and anytime the police do their job they are chastised for it, most recently the hysteria of the police clearing out homeless in Suburban station on a cold night.
6. Do nothing city council that once again focuses its efforts on ridiculous "issues" like cash vs cashless stores. Forget lowering poverty and crime, as long as everyone can buy a salad at SweetGreen using cash, our problems are solved.

Philadelphia is a beautiful city with so many world class characteristics, but it is a** backwards in too many categories and nothing is changing about it.

I frankly don't know how to address these issues anymore without someone putting their foot down.
That's a good summary. The damage to the city's image is a problem. I know, for instance, the recent shooting at 52nd Street was of a lawyer for my organization. And he did a lot of pro bono work for prisoners and other people who are disadvantaged. It sounds like he is reconsidering some of his good efforts in the future because of this instance. And who could blame him? If the city government and police aren't going to do anything about the crime, and city council is going to continue to ignore the poverty issues, why stick around and risk your life? What a shame, especially with the momentum Urban cities have currently.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Where in Chinatown and Center City?

Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM

The Johnny Bobbitt saga continues:
https://6abc.com/homeless-veteran-wo...uilty/5171699/

People's gullibility never ceases to amaze me.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 PM

A couple was attacked by six employees of the 10th and Chestnut Taco Bell on the evening of Feb. 24th.

The man, a Northern Liberties resident, was offered a $20 gift certificate as restitution.

This should have never happened, but I find it hard to believe they attacked them for no reason at all.

Stay classy, Philadelphia.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:

I don't know how I continue to be immune from this stuff, as is my older sister who is 75, but apparently we have been. Luck? Some kind of body language we project that tells perps, "Don't mess with those old ladies!". I honestly don't know what to say except it depresses me.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

How about getting more of your own generation to get off your phones first and demand it. YOU are the "someones" now. Stop shifting the work needed to somebody else. Your numbers should create all the incentives necessary.

Gen-X and older millennials have to get the cojones to challenge establishment Dems like Kenney. I literally begged Brian Simms ,via old fashioned letters, to come home and stop wasting time in Harrisburg and challenge Kenney.

Are you aware that there are ton of new faces running in the primary wrt council so there is some hope there.

Overall it doesn't help that Trump is an unconvicted felon. If there's no example of morality at the very top less people care.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
How about getting more of your own generation to get off your phones first and demand it. YOU are the "someones" now. Stop shifting the work needed to somebody else. Your numbers should create all the incentives necessary.

Gen-X and older millennials have to get the cojones to challenge establishment Dems like Kenney. I literally begged Brian Simms ,via old fashioned letters, to come home and stop wasting time in Harrisburg and challenge Kenney.

Are you aware that there are ton of new faces running in the primary wrt council so there is some hope there.

Overall it doesn't help that Trump is an unconvicted felon. If there's no example of morality at the very top less people care.
I forgot to add that Krasner needs to be voted out. We need a real prosecutor as DA. That isn't him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia