Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2019, 07:15 AM

840 posts, read 691,780 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I did explain, but NYC doesnt have the large groups of teens getting on being loud and rude. Homeless issue is almost identical, and on the El itself maybe even worse in NYC as that they can stretch out along the double seat next to the exit door. The kids in CC cause 90% of the problems that you see in the news, laws in PA coddle them too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
How is it different? Describe how it's different. All these juvies are using the same social media platforms.

MTA runs 24/7 and the MTA has a decent cop force. There are fewer septa cops than I realized. So it's hard to get the coverage that should be required.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 AM

840 posts, read 691,780 times
Exactly (Krasner issue), I love when the very liberal folks on this page use words like snowflake and such when they are the group as a whole that makes excuses for crime instead of putting the blame where it belongs. I'm far from conservative and by no means a Trumper but its clear that liberal response to crime doesnt work. They can hate Guiliani as they may but his policy, and the broken window theories turned NYC around,,too bad DeBlasio is trying to undo it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
NYC really is a different place today. Cities like Philly continue to deal with higher levels of violent crime, especially gun violence.

I noticed the rows and rows and rows of bikes, many very nice and expensive, parked along herald square recently in the early a.m. hours. No worries about thefts apparently. I locked my old bike outside in CC Philly...stolen. No more of that for my nice replacement bike that dudes comment about on the streets...including that bike is gonna get stolen. Can’t ride somewhere and lock it without a concern that it will be stolen, and I know some folks that said their bikes were stolen in minutes.

These are those pesky property crimes that “progressive” prosecutors like Krasner aren’t interested in though.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
The kids have figured out that if they assemble in numbers, it is impossible to stop them. I don't know what they can do to stop it and I think it's only gonna get worse.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Exactly (Krasner issue), I love when the very liberal folks on this page use words like snowflake and such when they are the group as a whole that makes excuses for crime instead of putting the blame where it belongs. I'm far from conservative and by no means a Trumper but its clear that liberal response to crime doesnt work. They can hate Guiliani as they may but his policy, and the broken window theories turned NYC around,,too bad DeBlasio is trying to undo it all.
I think one reason for police tactics change .... even in NYC. Is that the police cannot do some of the more forceful things as (especially in NYC). They could use and not be sued, caught on cell Phones, car cams etc.

A city like Chicago has any police offensive tactics .... someone records on their phone and then you have their own car cams. Lawsuits to some are a way out of the ghetto. Not only there, but ..... the Chicago police department has been sued left and right. Millions every year.

Yes some were uncalled for or over the top. But these once were more commonly used. NYC police I'm sure did A LOT THAT WOULD BE RECORDED AND FRONT PAGE NEWS TODAY. So more do less till forced into self defense mode. Needing to ALWAYS REMEMBER. That they MUST AVOID something seen as a potential lawsuit.

I'm sure NYC and Philly get their lawsuits today too much increased. Basically, they take defensive rolls and merely take care of things more just after the crimes.

I'm realizing how police have had to change proactive measures if it results in conflicts being recorded and accused of force. Then another lawsuit for the cities .....

Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Rawnhurst's home values are quite high. One homeinvasion isn't going to bring those values down.
I mentioned in another thread that Bryn Mawr Trust has a physical branch on Castor Ave in Rawnhurst so take that as a kind of barometer about that neighborhood.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I'm not making any excuses for criminals. Never have done that. I have said multiple times that I believe the PPD commish needs to be fired. And there are not enough cops patrolling. One more time: I did not vote for Krasner.

But on the other hand I'm not triggered by teens. However what I do find annoying, intrusive and more than a little beyond good behavior is being hit on by men right on the street. It's guaranteed to happen to me a few times a week.

The economy during the 90s helped turn NYC around so it wasn't just the mayor.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm not making any excuses for criminals. Never have done that. I have said multiple times that I believe the PPD commish needs to be fired. And there are not enough cops patrolling. One more time: I did not vote for Krasner.

But on the other hand I'm not triggered by teens. However what I do find annoying, intrusive and more than a little beyond good behavior is being hit on by men right on the street. It's guaranteed to happen to me a few times a week.

The economy during the 90s helped turn NYC around so it wasn't just the mayor.
The NYC economy in 1980s NY was excellent as well...the go-go ‘80s; Bonfire of the Vanities, Wall Street ( the movie) and all that, yet the crime was terrible. 2,100+ or so annual homicides in NY into the ‘90s.

So what was missing prior to the mid-90s in NYC...why can’t Philly get it together in 2019 like NYC has done?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:13 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Philly doesn't have Rudy Guiliani.

Too soon?

Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Philly doesn't have Rudy Guiliani.

Too soon?
We didn't need a Rudy Giuliani during the three preceding mayors' tenure.

Crime fell throughout that period.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:17 PM

752 posts, read 458,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
We didn't need a Rudy Giuliani during the three preceding mayors' tenure.

Crime fell throughout that period.
No but we did have Rendell and Nutter that hired proven big city police commissioners and then gave them the political support to implement their crime reduction policies.

Kenny and Ross are acting out the Keystone Cops by comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia