Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 05:00 AM

319 posts, read 145,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Hippocratic Oath makes no exceptions based on character or behavior. It's clear as day:

"First, do no harm."

Allowing those exceptions, even if many would think them reasonable, puts us on a slippery slope downward into the worst aspects of our nature.

Let the legal system judge the behavior of a person. The medical system's job is to keep that person alive if at all possible.
Years ago, when my cousin was working rescue for the PFD, they'd slow things up when called one too many to an address with an addict.

Narcan is a terrible for families of addicts and society in general.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Years ago, when my cousin was working rescue for the PFD, they'd slow things up when called one too many to an address with an addict.

Narcan is a terrible for families of addicts and society in general.
Having run into people doing the opioid lean more frequently on public transportation of late, I can't say that I completely disagree with your comment above.

But I'm not willing to say "let 'em die" either if it's possible not to. Call me soft, then, but I'm not sure that drug addiction is the same as murder. Suicide, maybe - but we try to keep people from doing that too.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The Hippocratic Oath makes no exceptions based on character or behavior. It's clear as day:

"First, do no harm."

Allowing those exceptions, even if many would think them reasonable, puts us on a slippery slope downward into the worst aspects of our nature.

Let the legal system judge the behavior of a person. The medical system's job is to keep that person alive if at all possible.
Right, I fully understand why a HCP would do everything in his/her power to address the health of literally anybody (from a convicted serial killer to Mother Teresa). What I was referring to is the commentator on this blog for whom the thought of saving this individual seemed to immediately come to mind. NOTE: I went back to the comment I was referencing and apparently I misread. The poster was talking about an innocent victim who was shot and bled out rather than the shooter from another crime that was initially being discussed. So... disregard my post.

Old 01-02-2020, 04:11 PM

Top story on Action News tonight @6-

A Mummer had black makeup on his face at yesterday's Mummer's Parade.

The multiple shootings were reported afterwards.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
Top story on Action News tonight @6-

A Mummer had black makeup on his face at yesterday's Mummer's Parade.

The multiple shootings were reported afterwards.
Tens of thousands of people - more than a few likely African-American - were there to witness that display of blackface (to be clear) at the Mummers Parade, arguably our largest "free" civic event. I saw that same Channel 6 report and the Froggy Carr brigade reps expressed remorse that the two non-members made the decision not to vary their makeup to include Flyers-style orange and/or white like virtually every other participant in the presentation and said they would be banned from future participation. Longtimers are aware of the Mummers' history with blackface and other stereotypical displays.

Now, if one were offended and embarrassed by the blackface but still felt that the murders should have led the news, that's one thing. However...

Old 01-02-2020, 08:24 PM

66 posts, read 46,105 times
It's just acting by people who don't actually care about any of the people they're getting offended on behalf of. It's more about their hatred of the types of people who do the parade than anything else no matter what excuse they use.

I thought this thread was about regional crime? I see a supposed ally saying we should let shooting victims die and a post about blackface?

Nothing about the fact that entire swaths of the region now regularly feature violent crime that didn't ten years ago?

Maybe I need to read back a few pages.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Why were these kids hanging out there in the evening?

Do you think they plan to cause trouble in Center City?

I find this disturbing and also right next to the soon to open W Hotel. I think this is a case where cops need to crack down and either get rough with the kids to scare them or have constant patrol in that area.

Someone needs to step up to get a handle on this, all I see are politicians turning their heads hoping this will stop, people crying racism toward anyone that complains, or the detached who say they never witnessed flashmobs so its not an issue. It is an issue.
Posts like this are why I call you out.

This is a really elitist thing to say. You are exactly the type of person who would cry racism if black people didn't want you gentrifying their neighborhood but here you are using that phrase to denigrate people you know nothing about as if you're any better than them.

It's a societal issue that isn't changing any time soon, and if you actually lived the lives these kids do then you'd understand that.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:31 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Tens of thousands of people - more than a few likely African-American - were there to witness that display of blackface (to be clear) at the Mummers Parade, arguably our largest "free" civic event. I saw that same Channel 6 report and the Froggy Carr brigade reps expressed remorse that the two non-members made the decision not to vary their makeup to include Flyers-style orange and/or white like virtually every other participant in the presentation and said they would be banned from future participation. Longtimers are aware of the Mummers' history with blackface and other stereotypical displays.

Now, if one were offended and embarrassed by the blackface but still felt that the murders should have led the news, that's one thing. However...
Blackface must not be a big deal......Justin Trudeau did it several times as an adult, and he was easily re-elected.....

Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 PM

I think most people can agree that blackface in any form by anybody is wrong.

I don't know when just using black face paint at all automatically became blackface though. I've never associated the color black with black people. I've seen morons and racists use black face paint for that reason but there was always something more to make it clear they were depicting a racist caricature of a black person.

That guy didn't have any of that going on. I saw another year where they tried to make a guy with green face paint out to be using blackface. It's always the same people looking for any excuse to justify their hatred of the parade for purely aesthetic reasons. They spend the rest of the time tweeting borderline hate speech about the parade's participants. They use the same terms they use to describe gatherings they don't approve of that are often frequented by people of color in Philadelphia, like the Fourth of July concert. They're hypocrites.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with crime though.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualUDResident View Post
I think most people can agree that blackface in any form by anybody is wrong.

I don't know when just using black face paint at all automatically became blackface though. I've never associated the color black with black people. I've seen morons and racists use black face paint for that reason but there was always something more to make it clear they were depicting a racist caricature of a black person.

That guy didn't have any of that going on. I saw another year where they tried to make a guy with green face paint out to be using blackface. It's always the same people looking for any excuse to justify their hatred of the parade for purely aesthetic reasons. They spend the rest of the time tweeting borderline hate speech about the parade's participants. They use the same terms they use to describe gatherings they don't approve of that are often frequented by people of color in Philadelphia, like the Fourth of July concert. They're hypocrites.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with crime though.
It would be offensive if they had the white makeup around their lips.

To me it looked like they had black on as to be associated with the Flyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia