Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 05:15 AM

319 posts, read 145,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Is that new commissioner starting next week?
I don't know, but I hope she does something about the random rapes, stabbings, homeless layabouts and wolfpacks in Center City.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:58 AM

840 posts, read 693,576 times
I'm not holding my breath based on the political leaning of where she came from and who hired her here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
I don't know, but I hope she does something about the random rapes, stabbings, homeless layabouts and wolfpacks in Center City.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:33 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
[quote=rofl33cat;29088137]MOD NOTE - The purpose of this thread is to corral crime posts to stay in one thread so as not to take over the Philadelphia page here on citi-data. Starting now, 5/26/19, I'm going to ask posters to post links when they cite crime activity to bring clarity to the thread. As per city-data TOS, no racist or rude remarks are allowed. Report comments that break the TOS, do not respond to off topic remarks - report them.

I’ve brought back the aim of this thread as it’s seems we’ve gone off topic. This is really not an-off topic time crime chat thread. Please post links of crimes, comment and move on.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:27 AM

319 posts, read 145,525 times
https://6abc.com/philly-business-own...olice/5896661/
They're starting this again - following business owners home.
SW Philly.

https://6abc.com/man-26-shot-and-kil...ngton/5896676/
A murder in Kensington and a murder in Germantown.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Update on that story. Apparently the boy found a gun and accidentally shot himself, not the result of a home invasion.

Regardless, the huge uptick in murder rate is alarming. I think most cities have held steady from last year, Chicago is high again as are other the usual cities. Philadelphia seems to have the most startling and somewhat confusing rise, since the city is going through a bit of a renaissance, but I guess DC shares that characteristic as well.
It is crazy because I can tell you that my neighborhood is better than ever.... more people, more babies, more energy. The couple year old Whole Foods is already too small(???). I heard today that someone wants to revive an old historic dairy in East Kensington. Of course this time it will be high end cheese making and milk from local farmers.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:48 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It is crazy because I can tell you that my neighborhood is better than ever.... more people, more babies, more energy. The couple year old Whole Foods is already too small(???). I heard today that someone wants to revive an old historic dairy in East Kensington. Of course this time it will be high end cheese making and milk from local farmers.
I'm guessing most of the murders are between people who know each other and mostly concentrated in bad areas?

There are still some disturbing instances of crime spilling into nicer areas, but the murder rate while alarming doesn't seem representative of the city. But of course the media and average Joe don't know that. I'm waiting for the media to latch on to Philadelphia like they did for Chicago, so far its silent besides local news.

But I do agree, the good Philadelphia of 2020 is so much different than 10, 20, 30+ years ago, even from when I was at Drexel starting in 2010, and as mentioned in the 2035 thread, there is definitely an uptick in large construction projects this year.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:32 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
I'm guessing most of the murders are between people who know each other and mostly concentrated in bad areas?

There are still some disturbing instances of crime spilling into nicer areas, but the murder rate while alarming doesn't seem representative of the city. But of course the media and average Joe don't know that. I'm waiting for the media to latch on to Philadelphia like they did for Chicago, so far its silent besides local news.

But I do agree, the good Philadelphia of 2020 is so much different than 10, 20, 30+ years ago, even from when I was at Drexel starting in 2010, and as mentioned in the 2035 thread, there is definitely an uptick in large construction projects this year.
Most of the murders are in areas of the city I am never in and have no intention on going to so like you said it's just the media hype once again.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:37 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
https://6abc.com/philly-business-own...olice/5896661/
They're starting this again - following business owners home.
SW Philly.

https://6abc.com/man-26-shot-and-kil...ngton/5896676/
A murder in Kensington and a murder in Germantown.
What is this, your eighth username? 2002Subaru, IndianaTony, etc.....

Old 02-03-2020, 01:36 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Your guess is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Most of the murders are in areas of the city I am never in and have no intention on going to so like you said it's just the media hype once again.
As I live in one of those "bad areas," I can assure both of you that were you to visit, odds are that nothing unfortunate would happen to you.

Frankly, if I'm to go by TV news reports, the odds are higher that I'd be the victim of a random act of violence were I to hang around certain intersections in Center City when school lets out.

Now, if you control for the number of people out and about at the time the acts of violence occur, the odds of any random individual getting caught in a crossfire might - might - be marginally higher than the odds of a random person getting caught up in a mob of testosterone-fueled teens at 3 p.m., but I actually don't think that's the case.

But I did hear those dozen gunshots Tuesday week ago. And there was the one evening in the spring of the year I moved to my current domicile seven years ago when I went out to walk over to the supermarket for some groceries and decided to turn back when I saw the intersection of Chew and Chelten filled with cop cars. So I'm not going to begrudge others their extra caution.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:16 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Your guess is correct.

As I live in one of those "bad areas," I can assure both of you that were you to visit, odds are that nothing unfortunate would happen to you.

Frankly, if I'm to go by TV news reports, the odds are higher that I'd be the victim of a random act of violence were I to hang around certain intersections in Center City when school lets out.

Now, if you control for the number of people out and about at the time the acts of violence occur, the odds of any random individual getting caught in a crossfire might - might - be marginally higher than the odds of a random person getting caught up in a mob of testosterone-fueled teens at 3 p.m., but I actually don't think that's the case.

But I did hear those dozen gunshots Tuesday week ago. And there was the one evening in the spring of the year I moved to my current domicile seven years ago when I went out to walk over to the supermarket for some groceries and decided to turn back when I saw the intersection of Chew and Chelten filled with cop cars. So I'm not going to begrudge others their extra caution.

Someone I know was transferred to that area for a job and it's located near a regional rail stop. I was glad I wasnt sent because I would have had to wake up 5am in the morning since I live in university city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia