U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-08-2020, 08:28 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,735 posts, read 8,011,882 times
Reputation: 5553

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is crime up or down in the city?

Because I'm starting to really NOT want to go downtown...even the once a year that I do. Another child killed, a PPA worker stabbed.

What the hell??
I agree with Karen, Center City is mostly fine and improves a little more each week. I was there for work in early June (for the day) and it was not enjoyable and kind of creepy. I was there again last week (for the day), and people were out, most boards were down, things re-opening, livelier, etc.

The biggest issues I noticed last week - More trash, and Dilworth Park and Love Park were filled with homeless and odd people, like a shocking amount, and a general lack of maintenance in a lot of places - lingering boards, weeds on sidewalks, etc. (the weeds thing is an easy fix, people are just lazy).

BUT, if you do want to enjoy a day in the city, you will be fine, I would just be more watchful at night if you are alone.

The increase in crime is terrible and needs to be addressed immediately, but its not widespread like the conservative media describes it. But I don't see that changing until a new administration takes over. Outlaw needs to go too.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 08-08-2020, 10:19 AM
 
279 posts, read 165,439 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Karen, Center City is mostly fine and improves a little more each week. I was there for work in early June (for the day) and it was not enjoyable and kind of creepy. I was there again last week (for the day), and people were out, most boards were down, things re-opening, livelier, etc.

The biggest issues I noticed last week - More trash, and Dilworth Park and Love Park were filled with homeless and odd people, like a shocking amount, and a general lack of maintenance in a lot of places - lingering boards, weeds on sidewalks, etc. (the weeds thing is an easy fix, people are just lazy).

BUT, if you do want to enjoy a day in the city, you will be fine, I would just be more watchful at night if you are alone.

The increase in crime is terrible and needs to be addressed immediately, but its not widespread like the conservative media describes it. But I don't see that changing until a new administration takes over. Outlaw needs to go too.
100% agree with everything here. It’s night and day now compared to what it was even a couple weeks ago. Center city is coming alive and feels pretty much as safe as it did pre-pandemic/protests.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-17-2020, 08:00 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,735 posts, read 8,011,882 times
Reputation: 5553
Not good.

https://www.inquirer.com/crime/shoot...-20200816.html

“It’s disturbing, it’s disheartening,” Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said of the weekend’s continuation of a violent trend.

Good to see Outlaw involved in the situation (sarcasm).
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-17-2020, 10:23 PM
 
6,938 posts, read 3,209,839 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not good.

https://www.inquirer.com/crime/shoot...-20200816.html

“It’s disturbing, it’s disheartening,” Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said of the weekend’s continuation of a violent trend.

Good to see Outlaw involved in the situation (sarcasm).


She said it was unacceptable. So what does she plan on doing about it
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-18-2020, 09:01 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,735 posts, read 8,011,882 times
Reputation: 5553
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
She said it was unacceptable. So what does she plan on doing about it
As of today the total count is 276... it increased nearly 15 since Friday, that is absurd...

And not to go off too much, but clearly the gentle, lets pretend its not happening approach isn't working. There needs to be a balance of law and order AND respecting and understanding the community and its underlying problems. The city turning their backs on this is leading us into a dark cave.

I also say this because I am sick of seeing woke activists on social media cry injustice for problems (like the murder rate or the homeless encampment), yet they have no comment when there is 15 murders in 3 days...I don't get it...

Last edited by cpomp; 08-18-2020 at 09:18 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-18-2020, 02:53 PM
 
10,787 posts, read 7,865,476 times
Reputation: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree with Karen, Center City is mostly fine and improves a little more each week. I was there for work in early June (for the day) and it was not enjoyable and kind of creepy. I was there again last week (for the day), and people were out, most boards were down, things re-opening, livelier, etc.

The biggest issues I noticed last week - More trash, and Dilworth Park and Love Park were filled with homeless and odd people, like a shocking amount, and a general lack of maintenance in a lot of places - lingering boards, weeds on sidewalks, etc. (the weeds thing is an easy fix, people are just lazy).

BUT, if you do want to enjoy a day in the city, you will be fine, I would just be more watchful at night if you are alone.

The increase in crime is terrible and needs to be addressed immediately, but its not widespread like the conservative media describes it. But I don't see that changing until a new administration takes over. Outlaw needs to go too.
I'm very late reacting but I tend to judge some things by just what I see daily: toddlers and babies and their millennial parents.

NYPD is not getting good marks right now from what I'm reading,btw.

Funny thing... I don't notice the weeds as much as you seem to. What I notice is an uptick in people going back to white collar jobs by the clothing they are wearing.

The same problems ,wrt politics in the city, will persist if people continue to not participate in politics. Complaining on SM is not participating, btw. You have to run for office and/or vote.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-18-2020, 05:18 PM
 
6,938 posts, read 3,209,839 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
As of today the total count is 276... it increased nearly 15 since Friday, that is absurd...

And not to go off too much, but clearly the gentle, lets pretend its not happening approach isn't working. There needs to be a balance of law and order AND respecting and understanding the community and its underlying problems. The city turning their backs on this is leading us into a dark cave.

I also say this because I am sick of seeing woke activists on social media cry injustice for problems (like the murder rate or the homeless encampment), yet they have no comment when there is 15 murders in 3 days...I don't get it...

And more shootings today in broad daylight
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-21-2020, 10:37 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,735 posts, read 8,011,882 times
Reputation: 5553
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20200821.html

6 people in one night :/ now at 289.

Danielle Outlaw was on Fox29 today for an interview regarding crime / gun violence, anyone watch? And apparently Krasner got teary eyed talking about it the other day... How do I even react to that...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-21-2020, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
1,057 posts, read 776,765 times
Reputation: 1090
Kenney, Krasner and Outlaw. You literally couldn't cobble together a more incompetent group of "never make a decision" bozos if you ran a nation-wide search. Figures it would happen at the exact moment in Philadelphia's resurgence during which we critically need strong leadership.

Hey Kenney, I know you can't actually tackle any real issues, but maybe you can figure out how to keep the garbage collection on some kind of schedule? At least as we once again become crime ridden and poverty saturated, we can hopefully not regain the "dirtiest city" title?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 PM
 
6,938 posts, read 3,209,839 times
Reputation: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20200821.html

6 people in one night :/ now at 289.

Danielle Outlaw was on Fox29 today for an interview regarding crime / gun violence, anyone watch? And apparently Krasner got teary eyed talking about it the other day... How do I even react to that...
No I missed Im sure she didnt say anything
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top