Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 12:28 PM

463 posts, read 206,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yup, many "progressives" (I don't know what that means either), are either vastly underqualified to hold a political position or ignorant to society, economics, how a city works, etc. or they are out for their own selfish interests at the expense of others.

The encampment is an example. The organizers make noise, threat violence, yet, what is their solution? Demand the city to provide immediate housing and then everyone is happy?

If these non-homeless organizers want to benefit the homeless, they could certainly have done something of true change by now.

The day the city attempted to close the camps (3rd attempt), random young (mostly white) people showed up shouting and throwing things at the police, once the city backed off, those protestors all returned to their homes...

That is a small example, but in the bigger picture, this kind of nonsense does not benefit Philadelphia in any way, if anything it chases people, businesses, etc. out of the city resulting in the problems that come along with it. And this ironically (as you said) is what may get Trump re-elected...it certainly unites the far bigots at the least (and that is a lot of people).

Agree, but that small percentage is extremely loud and if you dare critique or question their motives, they are out for blood. I've unfortunately seen friends get ruined on social media and their personal info blasted out to the world simply for questioning / debating the social events of this year, such as Covid, BLM, the encampment, etc.

This results in the silencing of moderate thinkers who can take positives and negatives from both sides. Brings me back to how the far left/right are the same people, however, the far right has more momentum, which scares me for November.

Also ironic, this country needs to clean house of many GOP members - Trumps/McConnells/Grahams, etc., but Philadelphia needs to clean house of the democratic machine, which now includes "progressives". And of course social media is an evil fire fueling both sides.

And I agree, Trump is totally incompetent, but if he leaves office the democratic party needs to get it together and put an end to the leftist nonsense, like the encampment stuff.
Our country needs more people with perspective like yours. It's almost hard to believe people are so pro one side vs. the other. People still believe that one party is the cause of all our ills and that "their party" will fix it. If that were the case, wouldn't our major cities be running well and country be in good financial health with no war?

Old 09-25-2020, 01:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Sort of related to the encampment. I have a project in Manhattan, the W Hotel near Times Square that had an issue with a recent renovation, however (unrelated to my project), the building was used as temporary housing for homeless during the pandemic and the building was TRASHED. A scene from a destructive frat party. A full renovation is required before the hotel can re-open for guests.
In Utah, there was a housing program that was lauded until the funding dried up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1P41EQ

Closer to home, I recall that there were initially local hotels such as the Holiday Inn Express on 13th and Walnut that were used to house homeless in the earlier stages of the pandemic. I don't recall hearing about those properties being trashed.

What happened at the W Hotel in Manhattan was uncalled for...but it won't necessarily transfer to other cities or situations.

Quote:
My question... do these "activists" just want to throw homeless people into homes and pat themselves on the back and be done with it? Clearly there are larger problems at play such as generational poverty, lack of opportunity/outreach, a lack of any sort of social, moral, or proper decision making skills for so many homeless or those in deep poverty, therefore giving homeless housing seems like a cheap band aid over an extremely deep and difficult societal problem. (not saying we shouldn't, but its not that simple).
Not unlike Operation Safe Streets and its lack of followup with community programs to get to the heart of generational poverty, I agree that simply finding housing without a fleet of mental health professionals to begin to address the various issues that each individual may have.

Quote:
In Philadelphia's case, our mayor and most of council are interested in themselves and their ridiculous agendas, and take an a@@ backwards approach to working on any issues, and now we have a group of extreme leftist (aggressive) people calling the shots and the city is bending over for them.
I've been back in the city for a bit less than a year so I don't have the most informed opinion of Kenney but I'm certainly not a fan of most of what I've seen thus far.

Quote:
I am going on a rant here, but as a moderate / liberal thinker and voter, I can see why people would choose Trump and the Republican party when they see the circus we have in our large cities, Philadelphia is a prime example... whether its ignorance on their part of now, I can still see why they would vote for Trump and the GOP.
The challenge that Republicans will face in winning a city like Philadelphia is the attitudes of the established population in places like Fishtown and South Philly let alone out in the Far Northeast/"Liberty County". We can probably consider Philadelphia to be considered a de facto "anarchist" city in the eyes of Trump.

Quote:
In the end, the extreme right and extreme left are the same kind of people, but they have different targets. The extreme left hates privileged whites, corporations, tax breaks, the economy, etc. and discriminate on those grounds, whereas the extreme right hates BLM, city politics, progressive movements, anti-freedom ideas, etc.
I consider myself to be a progressive - although I know people even more left than me - and I don't know if I agree wholly with the assessment of the "extreme left" (although maybe that means I'm not as "extreme" as I think?) Per the "extreme right", I think the idea of "freedom" is subjective...but that's a topic for another CD forum.

Quote:
I don't know what my overall point is beyond a rant, but I shake my head at the illogical and aggressive social and political tactics taking over our country and cities, heavily fueled by social media.
If a "President John Edwards" were succeeded by a "President Jeb Bush", this country would be a different place. At least we have a clearer idea of what is most important to people now.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:59 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
In Utah, there was a housing program that was lauded until the funding dried up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1P41EQ

Closer to home, I recall that there were initially local hotels such as the Holiday Inn Express on 13th and Walnut that were used to house homeless in the earlier stages of the pandemic. I don't recall hearing about those properties being trashed.

What happened at the W Hotel in Manhattan was uncalled for...but it won't necessarily transfer to other cities or situations.

Not unlike Operation Safe Streets and its lack of followup with community programs to get to the heart of generational poverty, I agree that simply finding housing without a fleet of mental health professionals to begin to address the various issues that each individual may have.

I've been back in the city for a bit less than a year so I don't have the most informed opinion of Kenney but I'm certainly not a fan of most of what I've seen thus far.

The challenge that Republicans will face in winning a city like Philadelphia is the attitudes of the established population in places like Fishtown and South Philly let alone out in the Far Northeast/"Liberty County". We can probably consider Philadelphia to be considered a de facto "anarchist" city in the eyes of Trump.

I consider myself to be a progressive - although I know people even more left than me - and I don't know if I agree wholly with the assessment of the "extreme left" (although maybe that means I'm not as "extreme" as I think?) Per the "extreme right", I think the idea of "freedom" is subjective...but that's a topic for another CD forum.

If a "President John Edwards" were succeeded by a "President Jeb Bush", this country would be a different place. At least we have a clearer idea of what is most important to people now.

I'm not sure I understand the bolded statement. You do realize you just listed the three most anti-anarchist, white-bred, hotspots in the entire city, right? There are probably more Republicans in those three neighborhoods than literally any others in Philadelphia County.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I'm not sure I understand the bolded statement. You do realize you just listed the three most anti-anarchist, white-bred, hotspots in the entire city, right? There are probably more Republicans in those three neighborhoods than literally any others in Philadelphia County.
My point was two-fold. For one, the aforementioned attitudes will prevent moderate, inclusive Republican Mayoral candidates from being taken seriously let alone those inspired by the current White House.

I was also saying as somewhat of an aside that, those areas notwithstanding, it's surprising that Trump hasn't lumped in Philadelphia with New York, Portland and Seattle given the particularly strong opposition to him at City Hall as well as the intensity of protests and clashes in recent months.

Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
You're kinda-sorta channeling Sister Mary Scullion with that statement.

The organization she founded, Project HOME, takes a "housing first" approach to tackling the problems surrounding homelessness: Get the homeless a place to live first. That then makes it easier to deliver the physical and behavioral health services they need to remain off the streets. (And Project HOME sees to it that the services get to the residents.)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Fishtown and South Philly are no longer uniformly old-school, white ethnic enclaves hostile to Blacks. The "New Fishtowners" — a couple of whom I'm very well acquainted with — are younger, better educated, and hold more progressive/tolerant views on race, and even east-of-Broad South Phllly has become something of an ethnic stew what with Southeast Asian settlement in the area.

They had a march in support of Black Lives Matter up Girard Avenue in Fishtown. That event exposed the fault line between Old and New Fishtown. (One of those New Fishtowners called me a few days after the march to bounce some thoughts off me. An Old Fishtown neighbor of his told him, "You moved into this neighborhood because we kept it nice for you by keeping the [Blacks] out." He took major umbrage at that statement; an argument ensued, and the two hadn't spoken to each other since then as of the day he called me. I have regularly attended the block party on the block the other New Fishtowner — like me, a journalist, and a former Pen & Pencll Club president — lives on. The Old Fishtowners on that block aren't so hostile, if the mix of black and white faces I see at that block party is any guide.)

Sheesh, even the Lower Northeast has gone multiculti — it's the city's chief settling place for immigrants from abroad. But aside from that, I'd say the Northeast hews closer to Pennsport's assessment of it than Fishtown or South Philly east of Broad do now.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You're kinda-sorta channeling Sister Mary Scullion with that statement.

The organization she founded, Project HOME, takes a "housing first" approach to tackling the problems surrounding homelessness: Get the homeless a place to live first. That then makes it easier to deliver the physical and behavioral health services they need to remain off the streets. (And Project HOME sees to it that the services get to the residents.)
Ah, thanks for reminding me of her and the organization. The city would benefit from a vast expansion of that concept. Of course, getting and maintaining the funding for such is another story.

Quote:
Fishtown and South Philly are no longer uniformly old-school, white ethnic enclaves hostile to Blacks. The "New Fishtowners" — a couple of whom I'm very well acquainted with — are younger, better educated, and hold more progressive/tolerant views on race, and even east-of-Broad South Phllly has become something of an ethnic stew what with Southeast Asian settlement in the area.
I've been to Fishtown a few times over the last couple of years while visiting and upon my return. I did notice the newer, relatively younger Fishtowners - some of whom weren't necessarily White - and thought that was great. And yet, I still felt a off vibe as I encountered some people and patronized some establishments where I was the only person of color. I think I shared this before in another thread but I have a Black friend who lives in the neighborhood and is content there. However, she is friends with a number of Fishtown lifers whom I suspect told their neighbors not to mess with her.

Quote:
They had a march in support of Black Lives Matter up Girard Avenue in Fishtown. That event exposed the fault line between Old and New Fishtown. (One of those New Fishtowners called me a few days after the march to bounce some thoughts off me. An Old Fishtown neighbor of his told him, "You moved into this neighborhood because we kept it nice for you by keeping the [Blacks] out." He took major umbrage at that statement; an argument ensued, and the two hadn't spoken to each other since then as of the day he called me. I have regularly attended the block party on the block the other New Fishtowner — like me, a journalist, and a former Pen & Pencll Club president — lives on. The Old Fishtowners on that block aren't so hostile, if the mix of black and white faces I see at that block party is any guide.)
That newsworthy confrontation didn't exactly improve my comfort level. The conversation between the old and new Fishtowners is probably a prime example of underlying tension there.

Don't get me wrong; there's places in the neighborhood I wouldn't mind visiting (mostly with others) but I don't regret turning down my friend's encouragement to find a home there.

RE: South Philly, I'm aware that the area east of Broad and in the proximity of the Italian(and Mexican and Vietnamese) Market has become more diverse. I was more speaking of "Lower" South Philly closer the stadiums and Girard Estates. The Columbus statue controversy - even though I respect the Italian pride behind it - made my eyebrow raise when I saw neighborhood locals take an assertive physical stance and appear to ally with less-inclusive outsiders.

Quote:
Sheesh, even the Lower Northeast has gone multiculti — it's the city's chief settling place for immigrants from abroad. But aside from that, I'd say the Northeast hews closer to Pennsport's assessment of it than Fishtown or South Philly east of Broad do now.
The diversification in the Lower NE is great IMO. Unfortunately, too many lifers seem to disagree as they anecdotally have moved further out to "Liberty County" or into the proper 'burbs.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:00 PM

463 posts, read 206,644 times
Looks like Philly is suing PA to allow for the enactment of tougher gun laws in the city. It's something that should have been done long ago, but I think someone will need to tell them that this will have a marginal impact on gang warfare where illegal guns have an established market and the legislation they are proposing will have limited effect.

Quote:
Philadelphia officials for years have attempted to overcome the legal hurdle of preemption, moving to ban assault-style weapons, limit handgun purchases, and prohibit guns in parks and at recreation centers.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20201007.html

Old 10-07-2020, 06:14 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
The mayor is on medication

Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Looks like Philly is suing PA to allow for the enactment of tougher gun laws in the city. It's something that should have been done long ago, but I think someone will need to tell them that this will have a marginal impact on gang warfare where illegal guns have an established market and the legislation they are proposing will have limited effect.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20201007.html
Agreed, while it is a *small* piece of the puzzle, there are much bigger problems the city needs to address, and some of them need be addressed in a tougher approach. But with the Outlaw, Kenney, Krasner team, they might as well hand out weapons for free.

A shame, so much good going on in the city, and now violent crime is skyrocketing and no real plan or measures in place beyond Outlaw telling the news "this is unacceptable"...

Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Agreed, while it is a *small* piece of the puzzle, there are much bigger problems the city needs to address, and some of them need be addressed in a tougher approach. But with the Outlaw, Kenney, Krasner team, they might as well hand out weapons for free.

A shame, so much good going on in the city, and now violent crime is skyrocketing and no real plan or measures in place beyond Outlaw telling the news "this is unacceptable"...
Hahaha.. I know, she does love stating the obvious, over and over again, while taking literally no action. Why do I have the feeling that she's going to last about one year total and then take her retirement at the Commissioner rank?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia