U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2020, 11:14 AM

12,234 posts, read 6,779,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I assume OP was thinking in the traditional scene IE; Bloods Crips GD's ect, there are none outside of the few kids who put the crip emoji in their bio.
I think that it might be better to understand what's going on by mapping it onto organized-crime families as the parallel rather than the street gangs. I understand that in the days when this city was plagued by street-gang violence, even innocent residents would be targeted by a gang if they wandered into the gang's turf.

That hasn't made a comeback, from what I can tell.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-12-2020, 11:34 AM

1,377 posts, read 706,499 times
My understanding was that, even with street gangs, there is an unsaid understanding that non-involved citizens are not to be targeted or involved in gang related business.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,774,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
My understanding was that, even with street gangs, there is an unsaid understanding that non-involved citizens are not to be targeted or involved in gang related business.
Again.. I ask you, what gangs are operating in Philadelphia?
Your first response was to ask me was I joking?

I'm serious, if there are any then I'd like to know who they are and what streets do they claim?

Old 10-12-2020, 02:50 PM

1,057 posts, read 773,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

I'm serious, if there are any then I'd like to know who they are and what streets do they claim?
Google it brotha. Lots of neighborhood collectives (gangs) operating all over the city.

Here are two in Grey's Ferry neighborhood...
https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/sou...-20190522.html

Last edited by Pennsport; 10-12-2020 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-12-2020, 03:38 PM

1,377 posts, read 706,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

I have an aquaintence on the PPD. He's confirmed that the main source of violence, and gun violence in particular, occurs between regional street gangs - who's turf might be as small as a 3 block square. What has made it worse is that available real estate has been shrunken by gentrification. So you have shrinking turf and an increase in guns on the street. It doesn't take a vivd imagination to see how this could all add up to more homicides.

But as I said before, it would be interesting to hard data regarding whether there has been an increase violence with non-involved bystanders rather than people directly involved in the gangs and their stated purpose.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:05 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,774,879 times
Quote:
I have an aquaintence on the PPD. He's confirmed that the main source of violence, and gun violence in particular, occurs between regional street gangs - who's turf might be as small as a 3 block square. What has made it worse is that available real estate has been shrunken by gentrification. So you have shrinking turf and an increase in guns on the street. It doesn't take a vivd imagination to see how this could all add up to more homicides.

But as I said before, it would be interesting to hard data regarding whether there has been an increase violence with non-involved bystanders rather than people directly involved in the gangs and their stated purpose.
Okay that's what I was asking, as I've talked to young people in my family or just in the neighborhoods, they view that sort of thing as a " Not here in Philly" thing and maybe a " Jersey thing." So what's going on is typical of this city.

Since real organized gangs died out in the mid 80's there's always been a " My block, our neighborhood, or our girls" sort of atmosphere. You can have anywhere from 25 guys who grew up together, who'll stick together and fight with other kids from other blocks or neighborhoods starting in elementary school.

Or it could be just 3-5 troublemakers that keep stuff going and will be a big part of violent crimes in an area. So yeah, we're pretty much speaking of the same thing. I just wanted a bit of clarity.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:05 AM

12,234 posts, read 6,779,819 times
Quote:

And this is what we ornery people who take the "keep your wits about you and you'll be fine in a high-violent-crime neighborhood" position keep emphasizing.

We do not deny that the violence sometimes does claim non-involved bystanders. That guy who got injured in the shootout in front of the Chinese restaurant in the block to my west wasn't even a "bystander" — a stray bullet flew into his second-floor bedroom window.

But we do believe the people who warn outsiders away from such neighborhoods on the grounds that they will likely become either direct victims (not freakin' likely) or collateral damage (more likely, but still not all that great a chance) are exaggerating the danger.

Just as likely: the young black man who walked a rather naive-looking white friend of mine from my house to Washington Lane Regional Rail station when he left my apartment around 10:30 one weekday evening to catch a train back into the city. Of course, he did this precisely because he was worried the fellow would become either a victim or collateral damage because of his unfamiliarity with the neighborhood. And who knows? He might have been. But so far, the only people who have become victims for visiting me were this one guy who went out in search of weed (oops, that takes you right into the belly of the beast) and my boyfriend, who left his bike locked to my wooden porch side railing, where it remained for four days until I came home from work on the fourth evening to find both it and two of the railing slats gone. The guy who was victimized when he went out in search of weed lived in Strawberry Mansion at the time, is white, and has been back to visit me since.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:50 AM

12,001 posts, read 12,242,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
My point was two-fold. For one, the aforementioned attitudes will prevent moderate, inclusive Republican Mayoral candidates from being taken seriously let alone those inspired by the current White House.

I was also saying as somewhat of an aside that, those areas notwithstanding, it's surprising that Trump hasn't lumped in Philadelphia with New York, Portland and Seattle given the particularly strong opposition to him at City Hall as well as the intensity of protests and clashes in recent months.

I was actually discussing that idea with a friend recently---Is Trump really just playing a long game to destroy the credibility and electability of all future Republican party candidates? After all it was Bill Clinton that initially persuaded Trump to "play a larger role in Republican politics".

As far as crime in Philly I can't remember a worse year since maybe 2005. Germantown especially has had several tragic murders of innocent people caught in the crossfire--a 19 year old woman killed last week in a wild assault /car jacking that began at St Lukes Church and ended with Police killing the perpetrator right near the main commercial corridor. Several weeks before that another 19 year old woman, college basetball player, was killed driving in her car near LaSalle--none of the 17 shots that hit her car meant for her.

I was a fan of Krasner because I support an end to the War on "Drugs" and the release of completely non violent offenders but I will never support leniency toward violent criminals. The whole point of ending the War on Drugs is to allow Cops to focus much more on violent offenders and stop being bogged down prosecuting victimless crimes.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 10-15-2020 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 07:06 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,268,350 times
Philly will soon have its highest murder count in over 25 years. Around the middle of the year, I assumed Philly would reach 400 homicides by the end of the year, but only barely. Now upwards of 500 doesn't seem too implausible.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:39 AM

8,717 posts, read 7,983,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philly will soon have its highest murder count in over 25 years. Around the middle of the year, I assumed Philly would reach 400 homicides by the end of the year, but only barely. Now upwards of 500 doesn't seem too implausible.
Have things calmed down in the city yet? Makes me sick to see the destruction of neighborhoods on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia