Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 04:41 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,318 times

Advertisements

Now we have a hate crime -

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ng-experience/

In my line of work, I see and hear about a lot of this type of hate. I'll leave it at that. I'm surprised the media reported it for what it was.

It's one of the reasons we're seriously considering leaving the city upon retirement. There's a racial/violence problem in this city and country that nobody wants to discuss.

Last edited by Hedonism; 02-05-2021 at 05:05 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 05:31 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Now we have a hate crime -

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ng-experience/

In my line of work, I see and hear about a lot of this type of hate. I'll leave it at that. I'm surprised the media reported it for what it was.

It's one of the reasons we're seriously considering leaving the city upon retirement. There's a racial/violence problem in this city and country that nobody wants to discuss.
Do you work in law enforcement?

This sort of thing is just as wrong when Black people do it as when white people do it.

And if it goes unreported, well, shame on my fellow journalists.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:35 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Seriously asking....

If it wasn't drug/turf/respect related, what other types of "gang related or personal vendettas" would there be? I feel like the whole reason to be in a gang is that they are essentially the operating system for the drug trade.
Out of those 3, I'd go with disrespect. Drugs are involved, but not to the extent in the 80s-early 2000's. It's not over someone selling drugs on claimed turf without consent or paying taxes.

Instead, the new wave is taking influence from the typical LA/Chicago gang culture just without the colors; people are being shot for retaliation, "snitching", over turf, or for making disses in songs/social media.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Out of those 3, I'd go with disrespect. Drugs are involved, but not to the extent in the 80s-early 2000's. It's not over someone selling drugs on claimed turf without consent or paying taxes.

Instead, the new wave is taking influence from the typical LA/Chicago gang culture just without the colors; people are being shot for retaliation, "snitching", over turf, or for making disses in songs/social media.
Yep ... not so much over 'business,' but over trivial nonsense.

That's why I scoff when people keep saying "If you're not involved in nefarious activity, you have nothing to worry about." Yeah, you do. There are people out here with firearms who are angry losers and will shoot a clean cut, middle-aged white guy over something silly just as quick as they'll shoot someone in their own neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Do you work in law enforcement?

This sort of thing is just as wrong when Black people do it as when white people do it.

And if it goes unreported, well, shame on my fellow journalists.
Out of curiosity, why does Black get capitalized, but not White? Is that a thing now?

Old 02-05-2021, 06:00 PM

617 posts, read 538,157 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why does Black get capitalized, but not White? Is that a thing now?

yep, Blacks rule, their lives matter and all that.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:47 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Yes. Recent change in Associated Press style, which I follow.

They're treating "Black" as "African-American" had been treated, as an "ethnic" descriptor. (The trouble with "African-American" now is that with growing immigration from Africa, the phrase takes on a different meaning. Both the African immigrants and the descendants of the freed slaves can wear the word "Black" without confusion.

Whites get to be placed in all sorts of boxes: Irish-American, WASP, Italian-American, Hispanic (which can also be used to describe Blacks of Latin American or Spanish-speaking Caribbean descent), Portuguese-American, and so on. Were our ethnonational ties not erased during slavery, we might refer to ourselves as Ibo-American, Xhosa-American, Yoruban-American, Ethiopian-American (actually, since very few slaves came from the east coast of Africa, most of these are immigrants and their descendants), Ghanaian-American, and so on. But we don't have that option available to us. And that is also a reason why "Black" but not "White."

Old 02-08-2021, 06:39 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Man shot inside the Philadelphia Mills Mall.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-mall/2695461/

Lets hope something like this does not happen to the Fashion District in Center City.

Or you can kiss its reputation goodbye.

Old 02-08-2021, 06:44 AM

How about this at Adams and Rising Sun (Hill Creek housing project) -

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...child/2696025/

Parents murdered while their five year old slept with them.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 AM

403 posts, read 295,865 times
Crazy. Isn't the murder rate now the highest in over 20 years? We are on track to surpass Chicago in homicides.

Philadelphia has had nearly 50 homicides in nearly a month.

A city of 1,000,000 more people and notorious for gun violence. Philadelphia is on track to be the top 5 most violent cities in the USA at this rate.

Where are the press conferences from the Mayor and Police Commissioner on the violence??? WTH??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia