Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 12:15 PM

744 posts, read 774,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Marc Lamont Hill's joint on Germantown Ave was burglarized last night. I heard it's like the fifth time. You may be hating on the wrong people, Marc ...
This has been so strange to see. It seems like everyone in Germantown loves the coffeeshop. I wonder if its a disgruntle ex? Former employee? Just seems ridiculous that they haven't caught anyone.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:52 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Now I want to move back to Connecticut
Hartford's worse.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:38 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210323.html

While reading this I was thinking of how I wish it was the future and we could install little lasers on our houses to zap these thieves, lol. Terminator style. Sucks though, these are long gone.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:44 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Just so you all know, it's not just here that crime is on the rise:

Why America's Great Crime Decline Is Over | The Atlantic

Old 03-24-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just so you all know, it's not just here that crime is on the rise:

Why America's Great Crime Decline Is Over | The Atlantic
But we live here.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
But we live here.
Yes, but move to another big city and it probably won't be all that much better. I'm trying to suggest that the people here who are reacting as though this is something unique to Philadelphia right now are off base.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:50 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Quote:
Yes, but move to another big city and it probably won't be all that much better. I'm trying to suggest that the people here who are reacting as though this is something unique to Philadelphia right now are off base.
It is what it is...this forum. Of course it is no matter what opinion one has that it is many are not the best area you can afford in the city. You choose it and it is YOUR choice.

Still, when a area has issues it is real. One can just act as if it is just urban living and fail to acknowledge it is a major issue and find a out for it or say........... yes it is and I know this and choose to live here and have for so many years and am just fine.

Every city has its bad less desirable areas..... sadly much still has to do with race. If one can afford another area and do not..... that is by their choice. I would not. I saw waaaay too much negative to think it is just... fine and and dandy even at the pay-scale that can afford more. Where they can afford rents or a condo/home also.....

Many will choose not to bother with areas of high-crime .... just human nature if they can afford more. Reality is not off base. They will chose by area that is less crime and visibly with less blight and when grittiness means dirty and waaaay to visibly less kept..... it is a clear negative to most but those who see it is on the renewal and improving...

Still my comment is meant to be generic and can be applied to any city USA. We chose where we live and accept its imperfections whether in crime, blight. or improving and realize it will support a profit for those first in to renew it. If it is not renewed and you own a stake that is not your home? It is what it is also.... perhaps a poor investment?

Last edited by NoHyping; 03-24-2021 at 11:02 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 03:31 AM

Also: did you read the article? It goes into some of the multiple reasons crime and violence have been on the rise and suggests that we need to rethink how we police communities rather than "defund the police". Whatever new approach we take may also require other forms of intervention than just police applying brute force. The stories I read about what happened in Camden after that city disbanded its police force and replaced it with a new county-run department whose top brass told the rank and file that community relations would be Job One, combined with the documentary film about former Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins' ride-alongs with Philly police officers, suggest to me that engaging the community rather than just sitting on the bad element pays dividends in reduced crime.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
I'm not moving to another city and I see no indication of anybody here reacting as if this crime wave is unique to Philadelphia.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
It is what it is...this forum. Of course it is no matter what opinion one has that it is many are not the best area you can afford in the city. You choose it and it is YOUR choice.

Still, when a area has issues it is real. One can just act as if it is just urban living and fail to acknowledge it is a major issue and find a out for it or say........... yes it is and I know this and choose to live here and have for so many years and am just fine.

Every city has its bad less desirable areas..... sadly much still has to do with race. If one can afford another area and do not..... that is by their choice. I would not. I saw waaaay too much negative to think it is just... fine and and dandy even at the pay-scale that can afford more. Where they can afford rents or a condo/home also.....

Many will choose not to bother with areas of high-crime .... just human nature if they can afford more. Reality is not off base. They will chose by area that is less crime and visibly with less blight and when grittiness means dirty and waaaay to visibly less kept..... it is a clear negative to most but those who see it is on the renewal and improving...

Still my comment is meant to be generic and can be applied to any city USA. We chose where we live and accept its imperfections whether in crime, blight. or improving and realize it will support a profit for those first in to renew it. If it is not renewed and you own a stake that is not your home? It is what it is also.... perhaps a poor investment?
It's too early for this ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia