Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 05:41 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Kinda changes things, heh?
Not really. It seems to confirm some of the early rumors reported here, and that video provides evidence that can be used to back up a self-defense argument in court.

The guy apparently wasn't supposed to have a gun, so he will get nailed on illegal possession of a firearm, but after looking at the video, I'd say the defense attorney has a good chance of — maybe not getting the guy off completely, but getting the charge reduced from murder to manslaughter.

And: selhars is right. And I did go back and read the posts before reaching that conclusion. What recent-arrival liberal Fishtowners put in their living-room windows, or what Old Fishtowners think of those signs or the newer arrivals, has nothing to do with this incident.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Exactly why you don't carry a Glock on you when you know you're going out drinking for the night. This happened in a highly public area. He was never in real danger of being seriously hurt. The guy's options were: right away jump in the van he eventually fled in and leave; walk away; run away; get verbally insulted and deal with it; get in a fist fight. But instead he thought he should rock out a Glock on a party night and he pulled the trigger. That one split second (impaired by alcohol) destroyed his life. Bet he wishes he never left his house with his Glock that night. Oh well, guess we can ask him how much he regrets that decision. Not like he's going to be going anywhere in the next 30 years of his life.
To the bold: Would you just sit there and take a beating rather than trying to defend yourself? It sure sounds like that's what you're advocating. And for the record, I'm bringing this up as a general response, not directly related to this event.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:16 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The shooter was a convicted felon who was prohibited from ever owning a gun. There is no self defense case. Surveillance camera's caught the brawl. Witnesses saw the man shoot the victim in the back and drive off. He's done.
Whoopsie...

Old 07-27-2021, 08:29 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
To the bold: Would you just sit there and take a beating rather than trying to defend yourself? It sure sounds like that's what you're advocating. And for the record, I'm bringing this up as a general response, not directly related to this event.
I would never advocate for that. Man up and throw down if you must, but use your fists or run away. I can fight quite well, but want to avoid litigation so I personally would have flat out ran away. Although I wouldn't have been in any of that situation in the first place. Regardless, he chose the absolute worst possible option out of the five choices he had that I listed in a post upthread.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:53 PM

10,610 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
Go back and read ... try to keep up.
Well, since I missed it, why don't you educate me, please.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
It does. I love when family members always say something like the deceased was humble and gentle, and then you see evidence that they are acting exactly the opposite. There's always so much b*******.

The guy may actually be able to successfully use self-defense but he's going to get burnt on the illegal gun. In what case does carrying an illegal gun into the city for a night out seem like a good idea?
Good thing he had the gun or he may have had his neck broken.

Old 07-27-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

And: selhars is right. And I did go back and read the posts before reaching that conclusion. What recent-arrival liberal Fishtowners put in their living-room windows, or what Old Fishtowners think of those signs or the newer arrivals, has nothing to do with this incident.
No, you're both wrong.

Read post #3682 and the link.

Then read post #3683.

Then read post #3688.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:08 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I watched the video and thought earlier that the sorry excuse for a DA in Philly was probably trying to slant the facts to push for a more anti gun situation. I watched the charging attack the deceased made against the other man. That's a ***** move. I remember another fight video and this guy kept doing the same thing. He'd run full on against a guy, slam them and then back off and then do it again the second the persons attention was diverted.
He put the guy in a headlock. I can't say if it was a choke hold but maybe it had the same effect. He initiated the physical confrontation. They're waiting toxicology tests on him. His father now looks like an ass defending him the way he behaved. If I was on the receiving end of an attack by him, I'd have shot him as well.
But the shooter had a firearm illegally so he's got to be prosecuted for that. Then again, I heard he a prior marijuana possession conviction which now is being pushed to be dropped as a conviction. I think he'll do jail time for that, and he should. But I see the murder charges being dropped.
So the deceased has been said to be a Giants fan and also as a Cowboys fan. Which was it?

Old 07-28-2021, 04:11 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
No, you're both wrong.

Read post #3682 and the link.

Then read post #3683.

Then read post #3688.
Your conclusion and ours are both matters of interpretation.

And in this case, the reason why the incident at Pat's doesn't really fit into this box is that neither participant, as far as I can tell, was Black. One guy was Hispanic, but remember, Hispanics can be of any race.

Also: Leaving aside for purposes of this argument the politics of the founders of the Movement for Black Lives, the fact that there are Blacks for whom other Blacks' lives don't matter doesn't mean Black lives don't matter.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Your conclusion and ours are both matters of interpretation.

And in this case, the reason why the incident at Pat's doesn't really fit into this box is that neither participant, as far as I can tell, was Black. One guy was Hispanic, but remember, Hispanics can be of any race.

Also: Leaving aside for purposes of this argument the politics of the founders of the Movement for Black Lives, the fact that there are Blacks for whom other Blacks' lives don't matter doesn't mean Black lives don't matter.
What are you talking about?

Posts #3682 (and the link), #3683, #3688 had nothing to do with the Pat's incident.

Just admit you were both wrong and lets move forward.

This is a crime thread, not the "Shooting at Pat's" thread.

Center City mayhem:

https://6abc.com/center-city-philade...iver/10913686/

Friggin' sad ... the woman was just minding her own business and this happens to her. You never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia