Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 05:56 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
The good news is the murder rate the last few months compared to the same months from last year is definitely down so the wave has stopped increasing. Not sure the reason but things have started to get a little better. Although of course it’s still way too high.
I cant tell since people are getting killed every night

Old 11-05-2021, 07:36 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Well, September 2021 set an all-time monthly record for Philly.

Philly now facing 2 consecutive years of homicides way beyond anything seen since the '90s and will have 1,000+ homicides in 2 years.

How do you bring this down to even 2019 levels?

Philly is currently 14% higher than this date last year? How has the wave stopped increasing?

The difference today in increases or slow down is due to comparing, say, 1/20-6/20 with 1/21-6/21, the former time frame being before homicides really exploded. So any ''wave'' or slow down is the result of the new norm taking root in the summer 2020 comparing the 1st half of 2021 with the 1st half of 2020 and the 2nd half of 2020 with the 2nd half of 2021.

So, in November 2022, we may be boasting that homicides are only up or down a few %s...yet we're at a whole new level of figures to compare. So, yes, the rate is more comparable to the new elevated 2020 levels but the 2020 total was 40% higher than 2019 and 2021 is on track to be 55% higher than 2019.

Philly has a real challenge to get homicide levels to even the 2019 total (356) and can forgetta 'bout a 2013 level of 246 annual homicides for a long time.

Instead of being ''progressive'', the homicides in Philly are ''regressive''...magically, all other crime is ''down'' though...lol.
I seriously doubt that will happen, people probably predicted the same thing in 2006/7 when homicides were then nearing record highs.

I think the new norm will be 500 for a few years (unfortunately), but once Kenney leaves office (pending a competent mayor), things will subside and return to mid 400s and slowly lower from there. 1000 logically wouldn't even make sense, buy hey, I'm sure I will on this forum in 3 years, so we can revisit then.

I also think the whole George Floyd effect will fade away, but every election year has turned into a circus, so who knows how ebbs and flows will work going forward.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:49 AM

1,026 posts, read 446,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I seriously doubt that will happen, people probably predicted the same thing in 2006/7 when homicides were then nearing record highs.

I think the new norm will be 500 for a few years (unfortunately), but once Kenney leaves office (pending a competent mayor), things will subside and return to mid 400s and slowly lower from there. 1000 logically wouldn't even make sense, buy hey, I'm sure I will on this forum in 3 years, so we can revisit then.

I also think the whole George Floyd effect will fade away, but every election year has turned into a circus, so who knows how ebbs and flows will work going forward.
You seriously doubt what will happen? That Philly will have over 1,000 in 2 consecutive years? Well, 2020 had 499 (one less than the record) and is on track for about 550 this year...that's over 1,000. I'm thinking you read this as Philly having 1,000 homicides a year...it's meant as a 1,000 total in 2 consecutive years.

Kenney is not the only party to blame for the escalating homicides.

The Floyd Effect may or may not fade away as quickly as we think but it will take 10,000+ lives across the country when it finally ends Perhaps the social programs and community activists will be able to reduce homicides below 400 again. So having homicides in the mid-400s as business as usual is a Floyd Effect.

The fallout from the 2020 War on Police, staged for the election, will take a long time to fade, if ever. The Democratic Party ran a campaign last year based on being anti-police and stood in solidarity with street criminals against the police. Completely manipulated the race issue so good luck getting that genie back in the bottle.

I also would not be certain that future elections is the remedy to the embarrassment of Philly's current homicide totals. Helen Gym or Isaiah Thomas for mayor? You think some mayor is going to restore respect for the police department?

Again, good luck getting homicides to even 2019 levels when the criminals have been given the upper hand. Then again, cities like Seattle voted in a Republican DA and Minneapolis voted down disbanding its police department (yet 43% voted in favor of it).

Last edited by MPK21; 11-05-2021 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You seriously doubt what will happen? That Philly will have over 1,000 in 2 consecutive years? Well, 2020 had 499 (one less than the record) and is on track for about 550 this year...that's over 1,000. I'm thinking you read this as Philly having 1,000 homicides a year...it's meant as a 1,000 total in 2 consecutive years.

Kenney is not the only party to blame for the escalating homicides.

The Floyd Effect may or may not fade away as quickly as we think but it will take 10,000+ lives across the country when it finally ends Perhaps the social programs and community activists will be able to reduce homicides below 400 again. So having homicides in the mid-400s as business as usual is a Floyd Effect.

The fallout from the 2020 War on Police, staged for the election, will take a long time to fade, if ever. The Democratic Party ran a campaign last year based on being anti-police and stood in solidarity with street criminals against the police. Completely manipulated the race issue so good luck getting that genie back in the bottle.

I also would not be certain that future elections is the remedy to the embarrassment of Philly's current homicide totals. Helen Gym or Isaiah Thomas for mayor? You think some mayor is going to restore respect for the police department?

Again, good luck getting homicides to even 2019 levels when the criminals have been given the upper hand. Then again, cities like Seattle voted in a Republican DA and Minneapolis voted down disbanding its police department (yet 43% voted in favor of it).
That's what I thought you meant. But yea, I think 500 will be the average going forward, eventually dropping into the 400s, but the days of under 300 aren't coming back anytime soon, unless the city cleans house of the Mayor, DA, Police Commissioner and stops pacifying the extremist views.

Your later paragraph is what Republicans are running with in future elections, and like it or not, agree or disagree, that is why they will likely sweep midterms next year, unless things majorly change in 1 year (which they could).

At this point I don't think Gym or Thomas are favorites for Mayor (but who knows). My money is on Rebecca Rhynehart, Alan Domb, or Jeff Brown, any of whom I would be content with.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-05-2021 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 03:44 PM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:

Quote:
That's what I thought you meant. But yea, I think 500 will be the average going forward, eventually dropping into the 400s, but the days of under 300 aren't coming back anytime soon, unless the city cleans house of the Mayor, DA, Police Commissioner and stops pacifying the extremist views.

Your later paragraph is what Republicans are running with in future elections, and like it or not, agree or disagree, that is why they will likely sweep midterms next year, unless things majorly change in 1 year (which they could).

At this point I don't think Gym or Thomas are favorites for Mayor (but who knows). My money is on Rebecca Rhynehart, Alan Domb, or Jeff Brown, any of whom I would be content with.
No, MPK21, that's not true. Most Democratic politicians found themselves having to define "defund the police" down because they didn't agree with the statement. Nonetheless, the voice once uttered knows not how to return, and the fact that many progressive Democrats did agree that our current police departments should be abolished gave the Republicans an excellent club with which to beat all Democrats over the head. (This is somewhat akin to the role the full-MAGAnaut, "the election was stolen" crowd play within in the Republican Party, the difference being that the GOP leadership is afraid to call them out on the lie.)

As for "restoring respect for the police," one of the takeaways I got from Malcolm Jenkins' ride-alongs is: People do want protection from crime, and they will respect police officers who make an effort to get to know theme. Frankly, here in Philadelphia, I think the best thing that could happen to advance that goal is for someone other than John McNesby to head FOP Lodge 5, for every time he opens his mouth, he demonstrates that he has a very low regard for half the people his officers are supposed to protect and serve. (I've actually argued even further: we should make the Guardian Civic League the official bargaining agent.)

Keep in mind that neither Seattle nor Minneapolis are purple, let alone red. Just as South Carolina Democratic voters (heavily Black, btw) showed they had no interest in Bernie Sanders becoming President, the people in those two cities, most of them Democrats, showed they thought completely defunding the police a bad idea.

As for who should be our next mayor, I really hope Brown throws his hat in the ring. He has no prior political experience, which will put him at a disadvantage against the other candidates, but as a businessperson, he has demonstrated that he walks the talk both on encouraging business formation and on economic development.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
No, MPK21, that's not true. Most Democratic politicians found themselves having to define "defund the police" down because they didn't agree with the statement. Nonetheless, the voice once uttered knows not how to return, and the fact that many progressive Democrats did agree that our current police departments should be abolished gave the Republicans an excellent club with which to beat all Democrats over the head. (This is somewhat akin to the role the full-MAGAnaut, "the election was stolen" crowd play within in the Republican Party, the difference being that the GOP leadership is afraid to call them out on the lie.)

As for "restoring respect for the police," one of the takeaways I got from Malcolm Jenkins' ride-alongs is: People do want protection from crime, and they will respect police officers who make an effort to get to know theme. Frankly, here in Philadelphia, I think the best thing that could happen to advance that goal is for someone other than John McNesby to head FOP Lodge 5, for every time he opens his mouth, he demonstrates that he has a very low regard for half the people his officers are supposed to protect and serve. (I've actually argued even further: we should make the Guardian Civic League the official bargaining agent.)

Keep in mind that neither Seattle nor Minneapolis are purple, let alone red. Just as South Carolina Democratic voters (heavily Black, btw) showed they had no interest in Bernie Sanders becoming President, the people in those two cities, most of them Democrats, showed they thought completely defunding the police a bad idea.

As for who should be our next mayor, I really hope Brown throws his hat in the ring. He has no prior political experience, which will put him at a disadvantage against the other candidates, but as a businessperson, he has demonstrated that he walks the talk both on encouraging business formation and on economic development.
Well, the defunding the police idiocy was just one aspect of the overall anti-police campaign the Democrats used last year to create the alleged ''divisions'', especially the racial ones, for the 2020 election. Many local and national Dems supported defunding the police, from complete disbanding to budget cuts and funding transfers. The current President & VP stood with street criminals to manipulate the racial divisions vowing to unite us if elected. So, while many Dems didn't like anything about defunding the police, many others did.

As you state though, regardless, ''once uttered...''. What is concerning is the fact that about 43% of MN residents did want to completely disband that city's police department. South Carolina Dems did in fact end Bernie Sanders White House...a leading Democratic pol, in a sound running for the White House and underwriting it all is this guy is a communist...lol. The black Dems in South Carolina were largely responsible, thankfully, for ending Sanders run; pretty sure these black Dem voters were older and more conservative...so they went for Biden.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:59 AM

Past couple of days in Center City, at least 1 male killed, another shot while sitting in his car.

Male killed last evening at 15/JFK, Love Park, currently doing the Christmas Village thing...nice backdrop for a city's Christmas Village framed the the famous LOVE sign...dead body and police sirens flashing.

Man shot at Front/South Streets while sitting in his car with his ''date''. No robbery, just multiple shots fired into this dude and his car.

Old 11-10-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Past couple of days in Center City, at least 1 male killed, another shot while sitting in his car.

Male killed last evening at 15/JFK, Love Park, currently doing the Christmas Village thing...nice backdrop for a city's Christmas Village framed the the famous LOVE sign...dead body and police sirens flashing.

Man shot at Front/South Streets while sitting in his car with his ''date''. No robbery, just multiple shots fired into this dude and his car.
Disturbing and ridiculous, but the Love Park shooting was the result of an argument that ended in a point blank range shot (according to sources). This would have been a whole different issue if were a random attack or someone opening fire into the crowd. The perp was arrested at least.

And the recent CC District recently announced an increase in public safety officers. A small improvement, even though Public Safety can only do so much, but their presence is at least reassuring since the police presence is lacking.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Disturbing and ridiculous, but the Love Park shooting was the result of an argument that ended in a point blank range shot (according to sources). This would have been a whole different issue if were a random attack or someone opening fire into the crowd. The perp was arrested at least.

And the recent CC District recently announced an increase in public safety officers. A small improvement, even though Public Safety can only do so much, but their presence is at least reassuring since the police presence is lacking.
The LOVE Park homicide is tempered by the fact that a security guard committed murder after he went to his vehicle to retrieve his illegal gun, returned to the scene of an encounter he had, and opens fire on the now dead 29 yo dude.

I guess it's better that a hired security guard deliberately murders someone in high-profile LOVE Park. Now visitors have to be concerned about the people hired and paid to keep them safe and sound in an otherwise popular spot in the city: a pic at the LOVE sculpture?

That said, that area can be generally sketchy at times, along 15th from Arch Street to at least Chestnut and into Dilworth Park. Just realized this includes the recent Drifting party at City Hall.

Regardless, the city must really start working on the growing perception that CC is dangerous.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:58 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:

Ironic, the man who ended up dead was the initial aggressor. His wife was interviewed recently and confirmed it. Also eXplains why the suspect has a dressed wound in his mugshot; a blow from a fight.

Looks like the man never heard of the mantra: Don't start sh*t, won't be no sh*t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia