Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2021, 06:26 PM

10,583 posts, read 12,000,980 times

Advertisements

^^ Even if one has no sympathy for the initial aggressor, the initial victim still can't go to his car, get an illegal weapon, and go back and shoot the guy who started it.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:37 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,076,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Even if one has no sympathy for the initial aggressor, the initial victim still can't go to his car, get an illegal weapon, and go back and shoot the guy who started it.
That's absolutely true, however, if he minded his business and didn't start sh*t, he'd still be alive.
Reminds me of the first Pat's shooting in which the Giants fan was shot and killed after talking sh*t and then starting a fight, or the shooting at a restaurant last week in which a bitter ex boyfriend was shot after talking sh*t to the woman's new boyfriend.

IDK about you, but I'd be apprehensive about starting any type of altercation or discord with a random stranger in a city that's seen nearly 500 homicides within 11 months.... common sense isn't so common anymore.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:14 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,076,030 times
https://6abc.com/christmas-village-s...phia/11219663/

Looks like the guy was looking for trouble, started it, and died as a result. If someone hits me in the face with a brick, I'd probably shoot them too If I were armed wf.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 574,224 times
Personally I read these stories and think "well, I am not going there for a while" and then eventually go there anyway. When the Wawa near me had a stabbing because someone thought their order was taking too long I thought I'd stay away from there. Like 2 weeks later I was thinking to myself "well, it wasn't me who took too long to make that guy's shortie, I think I am safe". In short, I will risk my life to add a little convenience.

Old 11-10-2021, 10:52 PM

380 posts, read 257,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
The LOVE Park homicide is tempered by the fact that a security guard committed murder after he went to his vehicle to retrieve his illegal gun, returned to the scene of an encounter he had, and opens fire on the now dead 29 yo dude.

I guess it's better that a hired security guard deliberately murders someone in high-profile LOVE Park. Now visitors have to be concerned about the people hired and paid to keep them safe and sound in an otherwise popular spot in the city: a pic at the LOVE sculpture?

That said, that area can be generally sketchy at times, along 15th from Arch Street to at least Chestnut and into Dilworth Park. Just realized this includes the recent Drifting party at City Hall.

Regardless, the city must really start working on the growing perception that CC is dangerous.
Yes, I agree the city has to change the perception but unfortunately for many the perception is reality. I’m desensitized to a lot of stuff in the city but I’ve had friends come visit recently who were scared off from coming back again because of the erratic atv driving and aggressive homeless people. I get that this is anecdotal but it’s a real problem and I’m generally pretty progressive when it comes to law and order issues.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 574,224 times
There is only so much you can do about the perception. Remember a high profile killing at Genos? It was a drunk guy from Jersey against a drunk guy from Reading, who happened to meet in Philadelphia. What policy can be put in place to prevent that? Philly gonna prevent out of towners from getting drunk?

There was also another killing later on that involved alcohol and events happening outside the city (a soccer "match" in Chester if memory serves).

Old 11-11-2021, 07:09 AM

10,583 posts, read 12,000,980 times
^ No. But in the news story (or at the press conference, so at least it has a chance of being put into the news story) -- stress that the people were NOT from Philly, and that the incident was NOT random. That's a start.

The "not being random" -- meaning it was those people in an incident that affect just those people -- doesn't sway ME. I have no interest in being an innocent bystander victim. But it has a chance at swaying others. I have a 25 year old co-worker (raised in an affluent north/central Jersey suburb, so I'm not sure about her street smarts) who lives at 13th and Spruce. She loves the city, does all the things 25-year-old who want a social life in the city. She suggested lunch in town, outside. I suggested a suburb, which is where we ended up.

This crime thread alone (because I hardly watch the news) has me scared to do anything in Philly. I drive through parts of west and SW Philly and I'm thinking of changing my route. I'm not trying to be shot while stopped at a red light or just driving to and fro.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:39 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
The LOVE Park homicide is tempered by the fact that a security guard committed murder after he went to his vehicle to retrieve his illegal gun, returned to the scene of an encounter he had, and opens fire on the now dead 29 yo dude.

I guess it's better that a hired security guard deliberately murders someone in high-profile LOVE Park. Now visitors have to be concerned about the people hired and paid to keep them safe and sound in an otherwise popular spot in the city: a pic at the LOVE sculpture?

That said, that area can be generally sketchy at times, along 15th from Arch Street to at least Chestnut and into Dilworth Park. Just realized this includes the recent Drifting party at City Hall.

Regardless, the city must really start working on the growing perception that CC is dangerous.
Agree here, CC is on thin ice and we don't go a week without some sort of major violent incident, not a good look.

I brought up the drifting event in that Philadelphia Design and Planning FB group (formerly UrbanPHL), and was called a racist, so apparently these aren't real issues to the extreme left, and we can't talk about them. Sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's absolutely true, however, if he minded his business and didn't start sh*t, he'd still be alive.
Reminds me of the first Pat's shooting in which the Giants fan was shot and killed after talking sh*t and then starting a fight, or the shooting at a restaurant last week in which a bitter ex boyfriend was shot after talking sh*t to the woman's new boyfriend.

IDK about you, but I'd be apprehensive about starting any type of altercation or discord with a random stranger in a city that's seen nearly 500 homicides within 11 months.... common sense isn't so common anymore.
Definitely agree. I keep to myself (even in New York). I also don't wake up angry, which apparently so much of the world does, we really are one small step above primates.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:22 AM

1,685 posts, read 946,677 times
https://6abc.com/shots-fired-philly-...sion/11222232/

Philly's finest.

These thugs OPEN FIRE ON COPS IN A CAR and they are free.

Cops do nothing but stand around inside yellow tape and scratch their fat asses.

How did these guys get away.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:52 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,204,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
https://6abc.com/shots-fired-philly-...sion/11222232/

Philly's finest.

These thugs OPEN FIRE ON COPS IN A CAR and they are free.

Cops do nothing but stand around inside yellow tape and scratch their fat asses.

How did these guys get away.
Sad state of affairs...

Also, where is the outrage from activists? Let's say the police fired back and killed the assailant, then we would hear outrage. (Cue one flew over the cuckoo's nest song).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia