Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2022, 09:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times

Advertisements

I read this morning that there were 23 mass shootings in the country this year. 9 of them were in Philly. Almost 40%.

Unacceptable, Kenny. get your idiot ducks in a row.

Old 06-02-2022, 09:47 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Sad to hear it was a drive by shooting on 17th and JFK in front of Corner bakery

That's my favorite area of the city. Why the hell would it be a drive by shooting on 17th and JFK

Old 06-02-2022, 11:34 AM

471 posts, read 273,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Sad to hear it was a drive by shooting on 17th and JFK in front of Corner bakery

That's my favorite area of the city. Why the hell would it be a drive by shooting on 17th and JFK
There's absolutely no one in the area at that time of night, not even cops. Obviously the shooters knew/found out their target was there. An isolated incident doesn't make this area unsafe.

Still, to an earlier poster's point - It's not a good look that there was a shooting at Penn's Landing, South Street, and this all in such a short time. I still wouldn't/don't feel unsafe in any of these areas, but this nonsense simply can't be allowed to happen in Center City or it will start to have a significant economic impact.

I'm not sure what is making people who don't live in these areas travel to them to behave this way.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:59 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Kenney has to be Philadelphia's most ineffectual Mayor ever elected. And the Council continues to sit on its hands.

The city needs and deserves SO much better.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Kenney has to be Philadelphia's most ineffectual Mayor ever elected. And the Council continues to sit on its hands.

The city needs and deserves SO much better.

And refuses to bring in the national guard for obvious reasons

Old 06-02-2022, 11:01 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
And refuses to bring in the national guard for obvious reasons
FWIW, no city has called the Guard in to counter incidents of violent crime.

Riots are another matter. But no one's rioting.

Old 06-02-2022, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
FWIW, no city has called the Guard in to counter incidents of violent crime.

Riots are another matter. But no one's rioting.

Nutter did twice

Old 06-03-2022, 06:22 AM

1,026 posts, read 447,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
There's absolutely no one in the area at that time of night, not even cops. Obviously the shooters knew/found out their target was there. An isolated incident doesn't make this area unsafe.

Still, to an earlier poster's point - It's not a good look that there was a shooting at Penn's Landing, South Street, and this all in such a short time. I still wouldn't/don't feel unsafe in any of these areas, but this nonsense simply can't be allowed to happen in Center City or it will start to have a significant economic impact.

I'm not sure what is making people who don't live in these areas travel to them to behave this way.
To say ''there's absolutely no one in the area at that time of night'' is inaccurate. To say this incident doesn't make this area unsafe is, however, accurate.

17/JFK at 11pm, especially in summer months, may not be busy but it's not a dead-ghost town area either. There are some random pedestrians, traffic, occasional bike rider/s. 2 Weds nights ago I used SEPTA rail from the airport-Suburban Station, arriving just after 11pm. Walked home up JFK...right past this intersection. I live around there...heard the sirens etc.

As for the Penns Landing incident; no one thinks this is an unsafe area either but the randomness of both this incident and 17/JFK is a concern obviously. Teens start beefing in and among a crowd, whatever, then random gunfire breaks-out.

The South Street/Gaskill incident was far from being a ''shooting''; this was a gun battle that sounded like, as I described, street warfare from the Russia-Ukraine War. Then again South Street has had an iffy reputation for a long time.

While not common, the recent Center City incidents coupled with the gun mayhem going on across the city, more so in certain areas of course, creates a negative impression of the city generally.

Time for Stop & Frisk again, but that's not going to happen, especially in today's national and local political climate, despite the gun violence in Philly and other cities. Cuz violence interrupters, stop the violence marches, balloon launches, local chick scam artist activist with the energy drink first name, criminal reform advocates are $$ pits.

Last edited by MPK21; 06-03-2022 at 06:55 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I read this morning that there were 23 mass shootings in the country this year. 9 of them were in Philly. Almost 40%.

The largest spike in violent crime year-over-year (2020-2021) has seen tons of mass shootings. Mass shooting defined as at least (4) people shot in one incident. 9 in Philly alone in one holiday weekend...wtf?

Obviously the ''mass shootings'' focus on the targeted incidents (schools, nightclubs, churches, stores etc).

The Buffalo shooter has been his with, among other things, ''terrorism''.

How is any mass shooting not terrorism or a hate crime? Random gunfire hitting or killing random pedestrians or folks sitting on their porches etc. This isn't urban terrorism?

Charge the parents as well when their kids are involved in violent crime, or at least when a gun is used (including an armed robbery).

Philly is in a state of gun violence crisis (Emergency); accordingly, implement Stop & Frisk. This would be a different and very difficult policy to do though given the complete lack of respect for the PPD generally; could get ugly but we're in a state of crisis; tough times call for tough measures. Not gonna happen though...again, you reap what you sow.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

To add, as of May 25, there were 546 carjackings in Philly; at that rate, as of 6/2, we should be at 578...and according to the estimate for the year: 1,400.

These #s are not mentioned often, if at all, by the media. After the 1st couple months when the carjackings were in the news the story faded away...one would think, naturally, that the carjacking crisis had ebbed.

The carjacking story peaked when Congresswoman ''Karen'', who promoted her anti-police/pro-defund police agenda during the contrived summer 2020 ''protests''?...then had large serving of karma a la mode when a group of teens, including a 13 y.o. shorty, put a gun to her head as they stole her ride on a mid-week afternoon at Roosevelt Park in S Philly...poor Congressman Karen had to have someone ese call 911 for her cuz her phones and official gov't stuff all went bye-bye down I-95 in her ride.

Then the carjacking epidemic story faded away...one would think, naturally, that the carjacking crisis had ebbed because it wasn't in the media much anymore.

Philly has a carjacking crisis as well. Perhaps this is our ''silent crisis'', that is unless, of course, you're carjacked. We never hear much about this anymore...wtf?

Add the carjackings to Kenny's idiot ducks in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia