Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 10:24 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Thoughts?
[/i]
Well, we are certainly seeing an erosion of basic decency. To me, it is a collective rotting of well-being and the sense of responsibility toward others. Because of such a social rotting, people from all walks of life and political leanings have a my-way-or-the-highway sort of mentality. We see it amongst young men in Philadelphia, we see it amongst young rural incels, and we see it amongst overzealous "leftists" and the MAGA crowd alike. People are hurting, and people are angry in this country. It's absolutely exhausting to be tuned into national news and politics. As passionate as I am about such matters, I can see how people tune out and disengage from politics, etc. although I believe now would be a terrible time to do so.

In regards to some of the hyperbole in the article, I can certainly see how it feels that way. But even though I am having a hard time processing some of the news at national, state, and local levels, I am reminded that this isn’t the first nor last time our country has endured hard times. I dearly hope we get through it soon. And, the good ol’ “herrr derrr stop voting for Democrats!” conjectures are so overdone on this forum that I can hardly waste my breath on them any longer. The way we got to this place has a complex, long, and multipronged history. To simplify it to Krasner, Kenney, or “woke white people”, as valid as some critiques of them are, is just flat out short sightedness, when the collective rot is so clearly national and cuts across political/racial/localized lines.

Not that the above is exactly what the article is getting at, but I am sure it is the kind of response it could produce here on C-D.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:14 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Thoughts?

Stan Silverman: Philadelphia's increase in gun violence reflects an erosion of civil society

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

[rest snipped]
tl;dr: NM stop and frisk, we need to rebuild that ecosystem of support, activities, mentoring, conflict resolution, and all that good stuff in that ProPublica article (whose author I met at the Pen & Pencil last Thursday night; he confirmed my interpretation of that article).

Old 07-25-2022, 12:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
13-year-old girl shot Friday was at the traffic cone beating of a 73-year-old man, DA said

This young girls parents should be in JAIL. All of the parents from the James Lambert case should be under serious investigation by DHS.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The Orange Man also was in office when the 2020 crime spike occurred, no doubt fanning the flames with some of the most moronic rhetoric that he could muster. I'm sure we all remember when he emerged from his bunker holding a Bible in his hand.

Fact of the matter is Donald had months and months to bring rising social disorder under control, but it was blatantly ignored and, as I stated before, brought up only as a Fox News talking point to score political points against the "LiBeRaLz!!"

Low Black unemployment means nil when it doesn't account for many other chronic deficiencies like lack of affordable childcare, lack of meaningful economic mobility, and lack of resources to address urban blight--issues that are literally laughed off and rarely supported by conservatives and all of which work in tandem to improve quality of life.

Of course, the GOP will continue to lament and politicize urban crime in their typical ranting fashion, but then they'll turn to their actual political priorities of book bans and demonizing transgender people.
The Orange Man is responsible for the summer 2020 Floyd Effect crime spike? Book bans? lol

Why did the BLM, Blue Guards, and Antifa (aka white people lol) associated protest-chaos start on May 30 and end on November 7, 2020? They left us with the crime wave aka The Floyd Effect...why did the protest movement suddenly end on 11/7/20?

Last edited by MPK21; 07-26-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
tl;dr: NM stop and frisk, we need to rebuild that ecosystem of support, activities, mentoring, conflict resolution, and all that good stuff in that ProPublica article (whose author I met at the Pen & Pencil last Thursday night; he confirmed my interpretation of that article).
Stop & Frisk ain't coming back in Philly 2022.

Ecosystem of ''support...all the good stuff''...let's also change the welfare rules and institute immigration quotas...(2) egregious wrongs from the Great Society.

Again, as far as police-community relations, that's allegedly Outlaw's key ''qualification'' or, at least one of her qualifications as her actual key qualifications are black-female. Balloon launches and free food events to attract people isn't cutting it; these events, like so many annual community ones, are most likely cancelled due to potential gun violence.

Let's get rid of identity politics from the White House down to City Hall.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Wish the heat wave would last forever. Only 7 shootings over the weekend which is the lowest since March.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Stop & Frisk ain't coming back in Philly 2022.

Ecosystem of ''support...all the good stuff''...let's also change the welfare rules and institute immigration quotas...(2) egregious wrongs from the Great Society.

Again, as far as police-community relations, that's allegedly Outlaw's key ''qualification'' or, at least one of her qualifications as her actual key qualifications are black-female. Balloon launches and free food events to attract people isn't cutting it; these events, like so many annual community ones, are most likely cancelled due to potential gun violence.

Let's get rid of identity politics from the White House down to City Hall.
Those fairs of the kind Cindy Bass (who I very much want to run for mayor so we can finally get a Council member who actually puts the interests of the Eighth District ahead of her own and those of her cronies) just cancelled aren't part of the ecosystem described in that article.

Now, having cops sponsor community-relations activities will make a difference. Heard any stories about rising crime in Camden lately?

Old 07-26-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Those fairs of the kind Cindy Bass (who I very much want to run for mayor so we can finally get a Council member who actually puts the interests of the Eighth District ahead of her own and those of her cronies) just cancelled aren't part of the ecosystem described in that article.

Now, having cops sponsor community-relations activities will make a difference. Heard any stories about rising crime in Camden lately?
I get these fairs or whatever are not part of the ecosystem...but Outlaw has these cops sponsor community relations events, free food and all. Again, her alleged expertise: cop-community relations and these ''cops sponsor community events'' are certainly nothing new, unique or cutting edge...it's common sense.

Heard about rising crime in Philly lately?

Right on though with the Cindy Bass for Mayor movement...lol. I think we can all agree to promote Cindy for Mayor.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Wish the heat wave would last forever. Only 7 shootings over the weekend which is the lowest since March.
Right, too hot to be outside let alone carry around a literally ''hot'' gun...city needed a break this month given that July alone has seen 50+ homicides as of 7/25.

A positive for the ''climate crisis''?

Old 07-26-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
I get these fairs or whatever are not part of the ecosystem...but Outlaw has these cops sponsor community relations events, free food and all. Again, her alleged expertise: cop-community relations and these ''cops sponsor community events'' are certainly nothing new, unique or cutting edge...it's common sense.

Heard about rising crime in Philly lately?

Right on though with the Cindy Bass for Mayor movement...lol. I think we can all agree to promote Cindy for Mayor.
My point flew right over your head, apparently.

If the PPD is doing the kind of Officer Friendly stuff that the new Camden County Police Department chief told the (equally new, since the Camden City PD FOP unit declined the CCPD's offer of keeping their jobs; the CCPD then hired new officers affiliated with the New Jersey State FOP) patrol officers they should be doing as Job 1, it's news to me. And I don't think that Commish Outlaw has issued such instructions to the Philly cops, so perhaps she's falling down on the job...

...but I also suspect that such an order would be met with resistance from some in the ranks (warning: John McNesby rant coming, because the officers elected him head of the Philly FOP, and his comments about the people saying that better community relations will lead to less crime demonstrate he has utter disdain for both that idea and the people who would benefit from it). I suspect, however, that the Guardian Civic League might be on board with the idea, as would any PPD commanders belonging to NOBLE (the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives).

But the point you missed (perhaps deliberately?) is: You haven't heard about rising crime in Camden lately because the community-relations-first strategy worked. The officers gained the trust of the people they were supposed to protect and serve, and they in turn responded by helping the cops do their jobs.

Regardless your opinion of Outlaw, we really haven't tried that strategy yet, and it's my suspicion that were Outlaw to promote it, she wouldn't get the buy-in needed for it to have enough of a positive effect.

Edited to add: Glad to welcome you aboard the Cindy Bass-for-Mayor train, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia