Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 12:48 PM

463 posts, read 206,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know how this will be enforced, but it's a start.

I'm not defending Kenney, but he has a point when he mentioned the state is after Krasner, but the state still refuses to allow Philadelphia to enact it's own gun legislation. Why not at least give it a trial run...

Jim Kenney signs exec order to ban guns at Philly rec centers, a move that could spur legal challenges

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220927.html
In PA, you cannot carry a weapon legally near a school, playground, and a choice few other venues. Recreation centers could easily be added to the list. However, the folks carrying guns are oftentimes not legal owners. So it doesn't matter whether they are at a school or a gun range, the police have the right to arrest them if they are carrying illegally. Just not sure how this would really change anything.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Agreed. How, exactly?
Through harsh punishment and aggressive enforcement. The revolver did not tame the wild west, it was the rope. Nobody wanted to be hung for stealing a horse. Nobody wanted to be hung for anything. It was Swift and severe, and the dynamic of crime and criminals is no different today.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:20 PM

1,697 posts, read 971,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Through harsh punishment and aggressive enforcement. The revolver did not tame the wild west, it was the rope. Nobody wanted to be hung for stealing a horse. Nobody wanted to be hung for anything. It was Swift and severe, and the dynamic of crime and criminals is no different today.
These kids don't give a $hit about consequences. If you polled these punks, they would all tell you that they don't expect to make it to 25.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the jail times doubled and a cop on every corner. But that won't stop these punks from grabbing a gun and shooting into a crowd for retribution for some ridiculous beef. They are already gone. And telling them that they're gonna go to jail for a long time if they shoot? Not gonna mean ANYTHING to them.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
These kids don't give a $hit about consequences. If you polled these punks, they would all tell you that they don't expect to make it to 25.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the jail times doubled and a cop on every corner. But that won't stop these punks from grabbing a gun and shooting into a crowd for retribution for some ridiculous beef. They are already gone. And telling them that they're gonna go to jail for a long time if they shoot? Not gonna mean ANYTHING to them.
Jail is not a deterrent. It's a luxury. Especially American jails. Send them to a Turkish prison and they'd fear it more than death. But that's part of the problem. Our country is easy on crime today.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:35 AM

840 posts, read 692,637 times
I think this is what people dont understand when they have peace marches, push for after school programs etc- there is a segment of society whose only deterent is fear of prison, when the police have been vilified as they have been across America, and now we throw bail reform in its a complete recipe for even increased violence.

I would laugh when I would see all of the suburban white people at the defund the police rallies and think its easy for them to try to be self righteous when they live in the suburbs, if their kids were getting killed they may feel differently. antifa is the same bunch of losers and yet these before mentioned groups were front row in turning Americans against their police and look at the results.

Krasner can spin all the lies he wants about gun sentencing, the facts are they only bring the easy winners to trial and dismiss or plea down so many others that there is no deterent not to carry a gun. Not to mention the fact that Philly PD can barely make traffic stops anymore which was a big source of getting guns and making arrests..I dont see an end in sight until parents began to be parents and police are supported...Too bad because Philly is such a cool city but the violence is going to cause brain drain that the city may never recover from..

Quote:
Jail is not a deterrent. It's a luxury. Especially American jails. Send them to a Turkish prison and they'd fear it more than death. But that's part of the problem. Our country is easy on crime today.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,802 times
I don't know. Whenever I see people on C-D lamenting about middle class white people, I wonder, are those people middle class white people? Seems like the new-woke of the right or something.

Old 09-29-2022, 06:15 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times
Quote:
Not to mention how many crimes for which we let people get out on bail. Violent crimes.
I don't want to do anything in Philly anymore. I stick to THE safest areas. Or try to.

I heard about one crime the other day (not in Philly, but still a crime that could happen anywhere) a man intentionally ran over a teen who was wearing a MAGA hat.
Called police and SAID he did it....AND doesn't see anything wrong with it, because of the kid's political views.

Was let out on bail. Complained that he has a life, a family, a job and things to do.

The teen had called him mom to say he was being chased (by a car).
I don't want to even imagine that mom's horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqVDbSoH9o

Old 09-29-2022, 06:36 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I think this is what people dont understand when they have peace marches, push for after school programs etc- there is a segment of society whose only deterent is fear of prison, when the police have been vilified as they have been across America, and now we throw bail reform in its a complete recipe for even increased violence.

I would laugh when I would see all of the suburban white people at the defund the police rallies and think its easy for them to try to be self righteous when they live in the suburbs, if their kids were getting killed they may feel differently. antifa is the same bunch of losers and yet these before mentioned groups were front row in turning Americans against their police and look at the results.

Krasner can spin all the lies he wants about gun sentencing, the facts are they only bring the easy winners to trial and dismiss or plea down so many others that there is no deterent not to carry a gun. Not to mention the fact that Philly PD can barely make traffic stops anymore which was a big source of getting guns and making arrests..I dont see an end in sight until parents began to be parents and police are supported...Too bad because Philly is such a cool city but the violence is going to cause brain drain that the city may never recover from..
The pendulum always swings back. 2015-2021 was a dumpster fire of widespread negative social media, virtue signaling, woke mob, anti-Trump, Covid, George Floyd, anti-police, bail reform, etc., IMO it was an awful mix of extremist views & decision making (and Covid fallout) that brought us here (why some people are still shocked or in denial is beyond me).

But it's apparent that leaders and constituents are trending back to center. Guns and access to guns is likely the biggest issue related to sheer number of shootings and deaths, other issues are a large populous of young poor black men with little chance of escaping that life, a completely detached Mayor, a Police Commissioner in over her head (and a hands tied police force), a self-righteous leftist DA, and a state legislature that goes out of their way to hinder Philadelphia... Where do we begin?

For starters, I would remove the stupid driver equity bill, perps of violent crime should not be released on reduced bail, all violent perps should be tried as adults, the city needs to shut down gun retailers or somehow monitor (to the Nth degree) who is purchasing guns, an in-depth social media task force closely following crime development (organized shootings, payback, etc.), petty crime (shoplifting, turnstile jumping, etc.) should NOT be ignored, these are the little crimes that severely affect the QOL for Philadelphians AND they embolden young people to commit more brazen crimes. And lastly (and importantly) the city needs to go balls to the wall (best term I could think of this early) in pressuring the state to let Philadelphia enact unique gun legislation, at least temporality. The state is wasting resources attempting to impeach Krasner, yet they block any real ideas to curb the violence...

Lastly, I am not advocating for tough on crime and call it a day. There are clearly next steps regarding outreach and QOL improvements for city residents, but the city is at a point where it needs to quickly change the status quo to curb an unrelenting wave of violence in nearly all parts of the city.

Unrelated to the above, but Krasner had a flop interview on Fox 29 yesterday, he is such an arrogant a**.

'Philadelphia voted for me': DA Larry Krasner stands firm on policies, says he won't resign as violence rises
https://www.fox29.com/news/da-larry-...chment-efforts

Last edited by cpomp; 09-29-2022 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-29-2022, 08:08 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
When your background is so destitute and hopeless, why would you fear prison, law enforcement, or even being killed? That's the disconnect you're misunderstanding. Conventional law enforcement no longer works.

Quote:
Philly is such a cool city but the violence is going to cause brain drain that the city may never recover from..
You're being naive if you don't acknowledge that Philadelphia has had a violence problem for decades. That's what makes so many of the the crime-fighting armchair warriors and Fox News headlines so disingenuous.

The social breakdown leading to crime in Philadelphia is much, much older and acute than anything related to BLM, George Floyd, or Larry Krasner. It's all politically convenient to act like this latest crime wave is something brand new. Not even close. It's a fire that was always burning that now happens to be burning brighter due to a clusterf**k of NEW socioeconomic factors.

And here's the thing folks: Philadelphia's crime problem will never be fixed by any one factor: not a new DA, not a new Mayor, not yelling at little black boys to "smarten up." None of the above will completely solve anything--sorry to burst your bubble. It's a multi-faceted problem with multi-faceted solutions.

Oh, and per 2021 American Community Survey statistics, Philadelphia is more highly-educated than ever. So you can cut out that malarkey.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:59 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
When your background is so destitute and hopeless, why would you fear prison, law enforcement, or even being killed? That's the disconnect you're misunderstanding. Conventional law enforcement no longer works.

You're being naive if you don't acknowledge that Philadelphia has had a violence problem for decades. That's what makes so many of the the crime-fighting armchair warriors and Fox News headlines so disingenuous.

The social breakdown leading to crime in Philadelphia is much, much older and acute than anything related to BLM, George Floyd, or Larry Krasner. It's all politically convenient to act like this latest crime wave is something brand new. Not even close. It's a fire that was always burning that now happens to be burning brighter due to a clusterf**k of NEW socioeconomic factors.

And here's the thing folks: Philadelphia's crime problem will never be fixed by any one factor: not a new DA, not a new Mayor, not yelling at little black boys to "smarten up." None of the above will completely solve anything--sorry to burst your bubble. It's a multi-faceted problem with multi-faceted solutions.

Oh, and per 2021 American Community Survey statistics, Philadelphia is more highly-educated than ever. So you can cut out that malarkey.
Yep. And the thug mentality is now ingrained in the culture. These punks need to unlearn what is now instinctive.

Much harder proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia