Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 AM

469 posts, read 921,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. It's a theory. Gain some knowledge before you go attacking others or otherwise you just sound ignorant. Also, stop attacking people or you'll get this thread shut down again.
Guess what Summer, that 74 yr old couple. The husband did it.I hope they check him for lead paint.
Elderly Woman Killed, Husband Beaten In Northeast Philadelphia Home Invasion « CBS Philly

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 AM

802 posts, read 1,315,755 times
If this isn't random it's scary as hell. I am practically around the corner from Ripka Street.

Man hospitalized after violent Ripka St. home invasion-

A Roxborough man is in stable condition after a violent early morning home invasion.
At approximately 12:22 a.m. on Tuesday morning, police said that four black males armed with guns entered a home on the 300 block of Ripka St. in Roxborough.
The suspects demanded money, and pistol-whipped the man. The suspects took the victim's wallet and cell phone, but police reported that there were no injuries to the two other family members present in the home at the time

Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,507,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
Guess what Summer, that 74 yr old couple. The husband did it.I hope they check him for lead paint.
Elderly Woman Killed, Husband Beaten In Northeast Philadelphia Home Invasion « CBS Philly
This makes more sense to me... violence is senseless, but at the same time... most robbers/burglars aren't out to catch a body.

While looking up statistics for deaths during robberies/burglaries, I found a study on Detroit robbery homicides during the period that corresponds with the period in the article about the lead GAS (NOT PAINT)
and the homicides rose from 5 to 155, with a 100+ jump in only 6 years. Some of this was pre-Riots, but most of it post. Probably had the made to do with it.

Did you know North Korea is one of the few places in the world that still use leaded gas?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
This makes more sense to me... violence is senseless, but at the same time... most robbers/burglars aren't out to catch a body.

While looking up statistics for deaths during robberies/burglaries, I found a study on Detroit robbery homicides during the period that corresponds with the period in the article about the lead GAS (NOT PAINT)
and the homicides rose from 5 to 155, with a 100+ jump in only 6 years. Some of this was pre-Riots, but most of it post. Probably had the made to do with it.

Did you know North Korea is one of the few places in the world that still use leaded gas?

90 percent of the people that you see on the 6 PM news, committing unthinkable crimes,if you talk to the people who know them no one is shocked about what they did.Most are drug addicts that would sell their own kids for drugs.Some our growing up in households with parents that just don't give a damn about them.they are running wild in the street doing whatever they feel like,try to talk with the parents about their kids and they will tell you to mind your business. I hate to say it, there are two teens living on my block that are headed for trouble and lead gas has nothing to do with it.Then add the fact that once they go to court,either they get probation or a slap on the wrist,so then the justice system becomes a joke to them.that is why most monsters have a rap sheet as long as their arm."look at the rap sheet of the old man that we are talking about"
If you are trying to use the whole country of North Korea to prove your argument,then the whole city of Philadelphia should be running crazy with killers.I guess the lead is only affecting certain neighborhoods.what a joke.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM

Nobody said that lead gas has to do with all crimes. Don't be silly. Also, the North Korea thing is obviously a joke. That would be a preposterous claim, as you pointed out. Remember, if a claim is quite extreme, you should face it with skepticism. Also, if you read the article, it is shown that neighborhoods where the highest crime was, there was also the highest concentration of lead. So yes, it has been found that it does have a greater effect in certain neighborhoods. Did you even bother reading the article? Everything you are claiming was clearly refuted in the article, and yet you still haven't taken any time out to read it before going on about how stupid it is because it doesn't fit tintin's worldview.

Human violence is at the lowest it has ever been since we started recording violence statistics. Numbers are not just plummeting across the United States, but also across the world. It isn't anything near what it used to be. Yes, there is still crime that is caused by other factors, and nobody is claiming otherwise. Again, READ THE ARTICLE. Children exposed to lead undergo changes in their brain that cause them to have lower IQ and loss of many executive functions and self-control. Do you mean that all the ADHD kids who are on drugs with low IQs couldn't possibly have any origin in lead gas that stunted their brain development? It is only because they were brought up badly by their parents because they weren't raised the way tintin thinks they should be and that they simply made wrong choices, right?

More and more people are getting lost in the crowd as science blows past them. The average citizen simply cannot keep up as we continue to learn the way that biology affects our behavior.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,625,127 times
The lead thing strikes me as a suspiciously simplistic explanation for a not at all simple problem (...similar to someone saying "it's drugs!"). The reassurance of an easily quantifiable chemical cause, easily detached from societal context, is of course seductive. People love easy answers, and love to point fingers.
The presented research shows a high degree of correlation between relative increases in crime rates and exposure to higher lead levels. But correlation does NOT prove causation.
It's extremely interesting, but I don't think there's enough evidence or study of the issue to hold it up as anything more than that. At least not yet. And so I don't think the significance of lead exposure should be overstated. I think the author of that article (and the ones that followed it) would probably agree.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Of course it shouldn't be overstated, and there really has only been one experiment showing any causation, but the correlations across the board globally, nationally, locally, etc. show there may be significance. It is absolutely silly to completely write it off without taking the findings into consideration and studying them more. Even if the lead problem were proven, it is clearly not the ONLY cause of criminal action and I don't believe anyone is claiming it as such.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,790,823 times
If you look at crimes and who/why they were caused. You will find that drugs (buy/sell/use) are the main cause of why/who commit them.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
If you look at crimes and who/why they were caused. You will find that drugs (buy/sell/use) are the main cause of why/who commit them.
This may be, but where is the originating cause of the drugs? That is a much more important question, and I am sure you would agree.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:16 AM

It never stops.
Gunman kills teen in South Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia