Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM

1,397 posts, read 914,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Does anyone here live on or close to Whitman?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/AL...!4d-75.1485872

How safe would you say this area is? Rough? Sketchy? So so? I am more specifically talking about close to the ALDI's.
Thanks!
It's not a particularly new or gentrified area, but I don't think it's unsafe in any way, mostly just typical mid-20th century looking South Philly rowhomes. The original Tony Luke's is right around the corner from that Aldi.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
It's not a particularly new or gentrified area, but I don't think it's unsafe in any way, mostly just typical mid-20th century looking South Philly rowhomes. The original Tony Luke's is right around the corner from that Aldi.
I have close relatives in East Passyunk so get down there from time to time, and have my entire life. I have never thought that area was unsafe. Been to Tony Lukes many times after Flyers games at night. No problems.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 AM

24,409 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I can see a few court cases under DA Krasner.
The Judge: "We'll now hear opening statements. The Defense?"
Defense Attorney: " We intend to prove to the court our client's innocence."
Judge: " Very Well. Mr. Prosecutor, you may proceed."
Prosecutor: "You honor, we also intend to prove the innocence of the defendant."
Judge: " Well, in light of the fact that the defendant has TWO defense attorneys, case dismissed."
The next case:
Judge: "This is a bail hearing. The defendant is charged with four counts of first degree murder. How do you plead?"
Defense Attorney: " My client pleads not guilty, your honor."
Judge: " Very well, bail is set at $50 bond and the defendant is released on his on recognizance."

Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
NYC does a better job at separating the thug crowd from the rest of the city (whether this is good or bad is up for debate).

Philadelphia has equally beautiful and safe neighborhoods, but I do notice a lot more thuggish behavior walking down Walnut St vs walking down Madison Ave. Philadelphia does not have a large barrier between CC and the the less desirable neighborhoods, whereas Manhattan is almost completely gentrified or in the process of gentrifying.

I moved to NYC for a change of pace and because I click better with Manhattan, but I would still live in Philadelphia, but that is my two cents as to why you see flashmobs in CC. And I agree that Philadelphia needs more police and very strict enforcement, all of this anti-authority crap needs to go.

It often sounds like you do not want all Philadelphians, who aren't breaking laws, to have freedom of movement. Like you need to never see poor people. I don't think you actually believe that but that's how it sounds to me.

The Bronx still has a lot of "old" NY qualities that you might enjoy like a true, non touristy, Little Italy. Check it out. It's a short train ride from GCS. I love Manhattan too but it is in its own bubble.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Agreed, unfortunately, we are moving in the opposite direction. The thug behavior is also so potent because we are the poorest of the big cities. And the bad neighborhoods surround the core. While NYC may have 1.7 million people in poverty (20%), the percentage is lower than in Philly. It's really all about percentages.

And with a spike in overdoses and murders, I believe there's going to be a highlight of the stark contrast between gentrification and the bad hoods/bad behavior. Philly politics, if they were healthy, could push us in the right direction and turn the tide. Unfortunately, we keep getting stupid and crooked politicians in office. Kenney and Krasner are both in Johnny Doc's pocket...after a federal investigation!

JDoc 2 Philly 0
Didn't you vote for Krasner? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And in NYC, the latest stats from last month's reports says that half of NYC pop. is close to poverty. The 20-21% are the most poor.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Correct. It's safe and pretty representative of Philly as still a working class city.

Tony Luke's is a real tourist trap nowadays.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have close relatives in East Passyunk so get down there from time to time, and have my entire life. I have never thought that area was unsafe. Been to Tony Lukes many times after Flyers games at night. No problems.
I would go so far as to say it's the same or even better. I think Oregon Ave between TL's and Broad St is a great example of classic Philly.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Didn't you vote for Krasner? Correct me if I'm wrong.

And in NYC, the latest stats from last month's reports says that half of NYC pop. is close to poverty. The 20-21% are the most poor.
Haha, absolutely not.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It often sounds like you do not want all Philadelphians, who aren't breaking laws, to have freedom of movement. Like you need to never see poor people. I don't think you actually believe that but that's how it sounds to me.

The Bronx still has a lot of "old" NY qualities that you might enjoy like a true, non touristy, Little Italy. Check it out. It's a short train ride from GCS. I love Manhattan too but it is in its own bubble.
There is a huge difference between being poor and being a thug, i don't care how much money someone has. People are free to move and act how they please, but even when I was on Walnut over the holidays I came across more rowdiness, swearing and pants below the butt in one day then I see in a week walking around a comparable neighborhood in NYC, and its not a shot at Philadelphia (I still see the same stuff in Manhattan, just a lot less).

So while you may not agree with Ipranger467, those sentiments are felt by many, and a lot of the cities problems can be fixed within a few years if we didn't have a one step forward two steps back approach to every issue.

To clarify I wasn't talking about the outer boroughs of NYC, I was directly comparing the Center City area to Manhattan.

I have explored every borough now a good bit except Staten Island, I am not afraid to travel around and explore areas whether they are good or bad, I just make a lot of mental notes when I travel to new cities, neighborhoods, boroughs, etc.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a huge difference between being poor and being a thug, i don't care how much money someone has. People are free to move and act how they please, but even when I was on Walnut over the holidays I came across more rowdiness, swearing and pants below the butt in one day then I see in a week walking around a comparable neighborhood in NYC, and its not a shot at Philadelphia (I still see the same stuff in Manhattan, just a lot less).

So while you may not agree with Ipranger467, those sentiments are felt by many, and a lot of the cities problems can be fixed within a few years if we didn't have a one step forward two steps back approach to every issue.

To clarify I wasn't talking about the outer boroughs of NYC, I was directly comparing the Center City area to Manhattan.

I have explored every borough now a good bit except Staten Island, I am not afraid to travel around and explore areas whether they are good or bad, I just make a lot of mental notes when I travel to new cities, neighborhoods, boroughs, etc.
Areas of Port Richmond are an example of poor but not thug. Although many poor immigrants are less apt to be thugs than most of our citizens who are poor. My point being that I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia