Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats wrong with the PATCO stations?
Nothing. It's just that the line could use more stations in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:24 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
And better fare integration with SEPTA.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Why should there be additional stations beyond center city? They already have 8th, 12th, 13th, and 16th. So basically if you want to catch the train to NJ you have to go to center city

Old 04-14-2013, 01:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Why should there be additional stations beyond center city? They already have 8th, 12th, 13th, and 16th. So basically if you want to catch the train to NJ you have to go to center city
The additional stations that I would like to see would mainly be in Center City. In Center City east I would love to see the Franklin Square Station reopened. In Center City west the Patco line should be extended to 19th or 22nd street and have it connect to one of the trolley stations that are already there. As far as extending the line outside of Center City, I wouldn't mind seeing an extension to 30th Street station or maybe have some sort of West Philly Spur.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
From my experience, the Broad Street Line is the most reliable of city rail transit. I don't have any explicit data to back me up on that, to my knowledge SEPTA doesn't keep on time performance stats for the BSL, but I follow SEPTA's service advisories on twitter and the amount of texts concerning the Broad Street Line are practically non-existent. Trolley service disruptions are frequent (and the tunnel is crowded) - although you have other good options in West Philly at least - and Market Frankford line disruptions seem to be occasional. Not only that - but as far as scheduling goes, if I take 10 trips on the BSL per week, at least 9 of them stick to the schedule to the minute. 9 minutes from Broad and Erie to 8th and Market, leaves on time, arrives on time, easy to plan bus connections. You can't beat it with a stick.
the bsl equipment gets twice as many miles between breakdowns as the el..and the el itself is several times more reliable than buses. the bsl is septas best run service fwiw. off peak frequency does leave a lot to be desired.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
And better fare integration with SEPTA.
I dunno if there will ever be fare integration, but hopefully when the open payment system is finally implemented, PATCO will follow suit. I'd rather have just a credit card than have a credit card, a PATCO card, and SEPTA tokens.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,683 times
Sometimes there's two trolleys a block during rush hour... don't know what OP means that they don't come often enough. Maybe on a weekend or off-peak. SEPTA's off peak service does leave something to be desired I have to admit. They're quieter and smoother than buses. The rolling stock lasts several times longer than buses, and is cheaper to run as long as the infrastructure and equipment are in good repair. Light-rail has a lot of benefits over bus service. Philadelphia is lucky that it still has some legacy light rail infrastructure, and that infrastructure is built up to a pretty high degree with the combined subway west of 40th Street. Building light rail from scratch is usually cost-prohibitive these days.

I commuted 5 days a week on the 34 and never had any complaints about the service itself. As with pretty much all my Philly complaints they have to do with the people who I sometimes have to share the trolley with...

Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Sometimes there's two trolleys a block during rush hour... don't know what OP means that they don't come often enough. Maybe on a weekend or off-peak. SEPTA's off peak service does leave something to be desired I have to admit. They're quieter and smoother than buses. The rolling stock lasts several times longer than buses, and is cheaper to run as long as the infrastructure and equipment are in good repair. Light-rail has a lot of benefits over bus service. Philadelphia is lucky that it still has some legacy light rail infrastructure, and that infrastructure is built up to a pretty high degree with the combined subway west of 40th Street. Building light rail from scratch is usually cost-prohibitive these days.

I commuted 5 days a week on the 34 and never had any complaints about the service itself. As with pretty much all my Philly complaints they have to do with the people who I sometimes have to share the trolley with...

Right the atmosphere is another issue with the trolley. There are some buses that has only professionals on it headed to work like the 9 bus which is my favorite. But pretty much all the trolleys has loud crazy teens on them and that's another reason why I get a headace riding them and avoid them when I can.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Right the atmosphere is another issue with the trolley. There are some buses that has only professionals on it headed to work like the 9 bus which is my favorite. But pretty much all the trolleys has loud crazy teens on them and that's another reason why I get a headace riding them and avoid them when I can.
All Transit is loud and has teens and unwanteds on it....does it really matter? It gets you from Point A to B in a efficient , sometimes fast and cheap matter....

Old 04-14-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
All Transit is loud and has teens and unwanteds on it....does it really matter? It gets you from Point A to B in a efficient , sometimes fast and cheap matter....

The 9 Bus has no teens on it which is why I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia