U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM

15 posts, read 44,639 times

Advertisements

So we're moving back to Philadelphia after three years in Seattle. It's all job-related, as my husband has a position in Horsham and I'm up for a gig in Pennington, NJ. We both owned rowhouses in Philadelphia before, and loved the city life (I was in Bella Vista, he was in Graduate Hospital). Now we're trying to figure out what the perfect scenario would be with these new jobs.

In an ideal world, we'd be able to rent a 3-bedroom house within walking distance of restaurants, bars, coffee shops and such. We've always lived in a neighborhood like that - Del Ray in the DC area, West Seattle out here in Washington -and it suits us (we're DINKs with no kids, in our 40s/50s). A place like New Hope or Lambertville would be ideal, but I'm not seeing a lot of inventory. We're not particularly interested in living in a development.

Other places I"m looking include Newtown and Yardley. Not sure whether or not to put Langhorne on the list. The other option, of course, would be to live in a city neighborhood like Fishtown and just suck up the commute and wage tax. Should we look seriously at Princeton? Budget would be up to $2,500 a month.

Any advice? Do you think that we'd be happy in some of the 'burbs listed above? Or would we be tearing our hair out and have nothing in common with our neighbors. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 05:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,826,524 times
Langhorn doesn't have much of a downtown and it isn't very inviting (It's a beautiful area but only in the suburban parts)
It looks like Newtown is pretty well located between your targets and the village is a good sized and charming colonial downtown. I don't see any listings in the village itself but there have to be some. You might need a realtor. I can't think of another spot that would suit your purposes. Princeton is nice but it's awfully far from Horsham and is ridiculously expensive.
I sure wouldn't go all the way to the city, it's just not worth it.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM

7,780 posts, read 19,186,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Langhorn doesn't have much of a downtown and it isn't very inviting (It's a beautiful area but only in the suburban parts)
It looks like Newtown is pretty well located between your targets and the village is a good sized and charming colonial downtown. I don't see any listings in the village itself but there have to be some. You might need a realtor. I can't think of another spot that would suit your purposes. Princeton is nice but it's awfully far from Horsham and is ridiculously expensive.
I sure wouldn't go all the way to the city, it's just not worth it.
I agree on Newtown. Not a bad compromise.. Very nice area too. Plus you are dodging the city wager tax.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,001,705 times
You could look at Doylestown as well. Great downtown. Downside is that it is very remote, but given your job locations, it might work. Probably a ~40 min commute for each of you. Newtown is probably closer, but Doylestown has a better downtown. Yardley might be another option, but don't think the downtown is very large.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:28 AM

22,402 posts, read 33,642,605 times
Doylestown and/or Newtown may be the best options.

NJ will have much higher real estate taxes if you buy

The City would be an hour to both for commutes

Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,001,705 times
Just have to be cognizant that if you ever change jobs and have to work in Center City, KOP, etc, you're going to be in a world of hurt, especially if you live in Doylestown. Realistically, Doylestown to Center City is more like a minimum 1 1/2 hr commute door-to-door. But it is a very nice town and probably the kind of place you're looking for . . .

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 44,639 times
Thanks, all. I looked at Doylestown. While it sounds cute, I have a feeling that it might be too far away for us if we want to go into the city to see friends, check out a new restaurant, go to a baseball game, etc. So we've checked that off the list.

While I"m still intrigued by Fishtown, I'm thinking that it might be worth it to rent near Newtown, at least for the first year. Then we can see how much we miss city living. Seattle is a much greener place than Philly, and we've gotten used to seeing nature, getting out on the weekends to hike, etc. Maybe the slower pace won't bother us as much. It's hard to know until you try.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 PM

8,701 posts, read 12,588,227 times
I would say Newtown. Great walkable downtown (borough) with great bars, shops and restaurants. Whenever I head back to Bucks County I always find myself going to the Green Parrot with my friends. That's a great place, especially in the spring and summer when the patio is open. You're a 10 minute drive to New Hope, which has an awesome downtown area with great shops and bars and restaurants. You have the Oxford Valley Mall area another 10 minute drive away. You have the huge Tyler State Park and Core Creek Park right near you for all your hiking and outdoor needs. On top of that, you are a 10 minute drive to the Woodbourne station along the West Trenton Line of the SEPTA Regional Rail that will take you right into Center City Philadelphia whenever you please. Oh, and of course, Newtown is a great halfway point between Pennington, NJ and Horsham. I would say that is your best bet.

If you ever do feel like moving back to the city, you could check out the Northwest section of the city. It is very green, especially Chestnut Hill and East Falls. You have the Wissahickon park right there, the Schuylkill River trail and Fairmount Park. The neighborhoods surrounding University City in West Philadelphia are also very green, specifically Spruce Hill.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 5,711 times
I recently moved to Washington crossing (near newtown). I really love the city...its kinda laid back and still close to everything...I will recommend adding morrisville, yardley and Washington crossing to ur search.

Also, these are old cities and its hard to find any new development in this area.
Let me know if you need a good realtor..we used one from Prudential fox and Roach and he was very knowledgeable.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM

15,606 posts, read 23,091,228 times
I would lean towards Washington's Crossing and Yardley. Newtown is beautiful, but a tough commute along the bypass. For me it added on 20-30 minutes depending on traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia