Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I was told it was going to be a mini times square.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
whoever told you that was confused. They're saying market east is going to be a mini time square now that zoning should begin to allow much more prevalent and elaborate signage and video boards.

the area in front of city hall will be nothing like time square, it will be a mostly open green space. should be a great addition to center city.
I think they meant Rockefeller Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Don't know how late they stay there, I have not been to Sister Cities Park past 10pm.
Since I live a block away from the park, I will go check sometime in the next few days post 10 PM and confirm or deny this. I'm pretty sure I've been there a few times after 10 before though and I didn't notice anybody. Most were probably when it was fairly cold though and Sister Cities Park would be quite the horrible place to squat in the winter, in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 AM

318 posts, read 609,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
And the homless people will be bathing in the fountain at night
Prior to the construction, that area was a favorite hangout for the homeless during the warmer months. Always refeshing to come up the stairs to street level there bathing in the aroma of urine. Ever notice the steps are always wet in the morning? That's because they wash the urine puddles away every morning. But I digress.

The new green space is a great idea. I just hope it doesn't get spoiled by the homeless.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Prior to the construction, that area was a favorite hangout for the homeless during the warmer months. Always refeshing to come up the stairs to street level there bathing in the aroma of urine. Ever notice the steps are always wet in the morning? That's because they wash the urine puddles away every morning. But I digress.

The new green space is a great idea. I just hope it doesn't get spoiled by the homeless.

If it's easily accessble then I beleive it will

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Unless there is a 24 hour guard, it's going to get really gross really fast. This is not being negative; this is Philadelphia history. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Unless there is a 24 hour guard, it's going to get really gross really fast. This is not being negative; this is Philadelphia history. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Thank You, a remember a story years ago about the homeless taking soapless baths in the fountains overnight.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
Franklin Square used to be essentially a homeless shelter. But when they improved it and put in the playground and carousel, they cleaned out the bums. You don't see bums in Washington or Rittenhouse Square either. If the city wants it to be nice, they'll keep them away - i think they will.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,514,039 times
I see bums in Rittenhouse all the time.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,224,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Franklin Square used to be essentially a homeless shelter. But when they improved it and put in the playground and carousel, they cleaned out the bums. You don't see bums in Washington or Rittenhouse Square either. If the city wants it to be nice, they'll keep them away - i think they will.
Rittenhouse is full of bums. Washington Square is federal property - and the homeless sleep there overnight and seem to be woken up in the morning by the park rangers, since they're not really there during the day, but there remnants are still there in the early morning.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I see bums in Rittenhouse all the time.
Seriously. A couple of summers ago I was sitting on the ledge thing in the center of the park, facing the fountain. I was about to enjoy a sandwich from DiBrunos. What did I smell wafting up from the shrubbery behind me? Take a guess. Poop. Fresh human poop. Gooey, smelly, moist poop. Surely, it didn't come out of one of the nearby hipsters.

Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia