Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yeah. I thought about those areas as I was posting. I guess technically they're in North Philly, but nobody really thinks of them that way. They're seen more as an extension of Center City's influence these days.
unless they moved geographically they'll always be part of north philly. people may not think of them as north philly but they are, some of the waiters at osteria like asking people what they think of having dinner in north philly and enjoy the shock people get when they realize that's exactly what they're doing! I really like what drexel is doing near 30th st and hope that temple follows suit (in getting tenants like zavino and shake shack). that new dorm temple just built really has an amazing presence.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to post articles from 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Yeah. I thought about those areas as I was posting. I guess technically they're in North Philly, but nobody really thinks of them that way. They're seen more as an extension of Center City's influence these days.
I agree with this. Northern Liberties is not what comes to mind when you hear "North Philly." It's the same way nobody in Washington, DC thinks of Capitol Hill as being in "Southeast" even though it technically is in Southeast DC.

But whether you're comparing West Philly as a whole (including Univ. City) and North Philly as a whole (incl. Fairmount, etc.), or just comparing the areas traditionally considered West and North Philly, there's no question that West Philly is a step above North.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Northern Liberties, spring garden, and Fairmount is considered "North Philadelphia East"

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Northern Liberties, spring garden, and Fairmount is considered "North Philadelphia East"
I don't see how Fairmount could be.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
unless they moved geographically they'll always be part of north philly. people may not think of them as north philly but they are, some of the waiters at osteria like asking people what they think of having dinner in north philly and enjoy the shock people get when they realize that's exactly what they're doing! I really like what drexel is doing near 30th st and hope that temple follows suit (in getting tenants like zavino and shake shack). that new dorm temple just built really has an amazing presence.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to post articles from 2010

You can't if you are trying to prove a point. 40th and walnut has not been in the news since that article was created.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I don't see how Fairmount could be.

I believe North Phlladelphia starts once you get to the North Philadelphia stop on the subway and regional rail.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
You can't if you are trying to prove a point. 40th and walnut has not been in the news since that article was created.
If you actually read the posts, I said it seems it's always in the news. I stopped going there because it was trouble and not worth the trip. I also said maybe it's changed so I'm not sure what point you think I'm trying to prove
Quote:
I believe North Phlladelphia starts once you get to the North Philadelphia stop on the subway and regional rail.
north philadelphia starts at vine st. maybe I should argue that west philly starts where the neighborhoods get bad.
btw, the pearly theater has been there a lot longer than three years, it opened in the middle of the last decade. I'd guess 2006 but I'm not positive.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
If you actually read the posts, I said it seems it's always in the news. I stopped going there because it was trouble and not worth the trip. I also said maybe it's changed so I'm not sure what point you think I'm trying to prove

north philadelphia starts at vine st. maybe I should argue that west philly starts where the neighborhoods get bad.

Broad and Vine is not North Philly

Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
vine st is where north philly starts. philadelphia ended at vine st. north of philadelphia were the northern liberties (free from the taxation and regulation of the city) and spring garden as well as penn township (which is what is now considered spring garden). north of that was vineyard (now known as francisville) and fairmount. these were all north of philadelphia and the origins of the area called north philadelphia.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Um, yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia