Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 08:06 PM

5 posts, read 29,058 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been offered a job to oversee several offices in NJ. This means I can have a wide array of living choices. I was under the impression that Philly was a nicer city than those in NJ and that the cost of living was less.
But when I check on the Relocation Calculator, Philly is rated to be signficantly higher. That is not what I have witnessed when assessing rents.

Can someone please clarify, I would soooo appreciate it before I take this leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Where are you looking in New Jersey? As you probably know, cities are always more expensive then suburbs (except for the dangerous places that no one wants to live) so if you are looking at a town in New Jersey, I'm not suprised it's cheaper.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times
I think it also depends on if you want to buy or rent in NJ. Make sure and check the property taxes in NJ that is what steered us toward relocating to the Philly area.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:13 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
In general, Philly property taxes are ridiculously low. Real estate in a neighborhood in Philadelphia that the middle class wants to live in (Chestnut Hill, East Falls, Center City, etc.) are generally very expensive. South Jersey is pretty affordable, in general, but property taxes and also car insurance can run high.

Also, do you mean Philadelpia City/County (they are the same) or are you looking at the PA side of suburan Phila? The PA suburbs are more expensive, but once again it depends on which two areas you are comparing.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM

Well, I would be looking for a place in Philly that was easy to commute to NJ from. I will be renting for the first year or two. I am not very familiar with Philly or NJ, but I understand there are several bridges, which can be utilized. I have heard that the BF is a real bear, and will probably look for an alternate route.
I am not concerned if I live in the city or the burbs, just looking for a practical commuteand a decent place to live that will not absorb my total income.
I am willing to spend between $1100 and $1600 a month.
Thanks for the help!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:51 AM

55 posts, read 243,709 times
I'm a 15 minute walk to city hall in center city staying in a 750 square foot luxury studio for $1150 per month. How close to the city do you want to be? The Broad st subway line is 2 blocks from my apt as well.

What size place are you looking for?

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM

I'm looking for a 1 to 2 bedroom with all of the amenities. I want to be as close to NJ as possible. Since I am not buying property taxes are not an issue, nor is a car, since I will be issued a vehicle by my employer. I am really only considering the rents and the state tax and utilities.

I can pay about $1400 a month in rent and maybe another $400 in utes, and would love to go lower if possible.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM

468 posts, read 2,358,567 times
You're comparing a city to a state, which is kinda hard. North Jersey is in the NYC metro area. South Jersey is in the Philadelphia metro area. Most New Jersey residents live in suburbia, not major cities in their state.

The typical Philadelphian pays less rent than the typical South Jersey resident. But are you the typical person? Probably not. Comparing a "luxury" apartment in Philadelphia with an identical unit in South Jersey, the Philly units will run much higher. Most apartments in Philly are old and don't have "all the amenities," whereas suburbia is lush with newer garden apartment complexes (as is true for just about any place on the East Coast).

If you just want an affordable apartment with a lot of amenities, and don't care about a specific location or neighborhood character, undoubtably, go for South Jersey. But this is true for pretty much any city and the suburbs that surround them... you can live out in the sticks anywhere for cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: