Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 PM

35 posts, read 82,765 times

Advertisements

Hello there, Philadelphians! My family and I will be moving to the area from Florida late this summer (July / August). We are moving due to a new job, which will be a small office - I will decide on location, so commute won't be an issue. I'm originally from PA and love all of the Philly teams and the city and we are truly looking forward to being there.

We have 2 kids - 11 and 13 and a couple of lazy dogs.

We will likely be renting at first, but would like to rent in an area where we feel we will eventually buy. Looking to rent in the 2k max range and eventually buy in the $400k range. We are not looking at NJ.

The most important factor is good schools. After that, we would like walkability, train station nearby would be nice and do not want to be too far from the city.

A few intangibles: Movie theatres nearby (my wife is a movie blogger) and one question that may seem odd, but we would like an area that has an artistic / creative vibe. Is this possible in the 'burbs?

I look forward to your responses.

- J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,136 times
If you love the city, why not live in it and support it?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 PM

35 posts, read 82,765 times
Well, like I said - schools ae the #1 factor and there are great schools in the suburbs. I understand what you're saying, and that is why I said I don't want to be too far from the city, as we will support it by attending sporting events, going to restaurants there, etc..

Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacothedog View Post
Well, like I said - schools ae the #1 factor and there are great schools in the suburbs. I understand what you're saying, and that is why I said I don't want to be too far from the city, as we will support it by attending sporting events, going to restaurants there, etc..
To be fair, there are great schools in the city as well, no doubt. Masterman, Central, Meredith, Penn Alexander, are some of the best public schools in the country. Then you have all the great private schools and charcters like Germantown Friends, etc. etc.

You could try the Media. Nice walkable downtown area with good restaurants and nightlife. There is an AMC movie theater right down Route 1 in Lima. You have good access to highways to get to the Sports Complex and SEPTA serves the area via the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail line which will take you right into Center City.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Main line route 30?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Main line route 30?
There budget is a little bit low for the Main Line IMO, though Bala-Cynwyd, Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, or Ardmore could yield some deals. Otherwise, I'd say Swarthmore or Media in the western suburbs (the areas around the Haverford Township stops on the Norristown High Speed Line are good as well); Glenside or Jenkintown to the North. People say good things about Ambler as well (though I'm not familiar with it). It all depends on how far you want your dollar to stretch.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,254 times
I agree with Summersm about Media, but would also look at the burbs outside of the West Chester boro. Both areas have a nice artistic vibe to them, and there's a movie theatre in neighboring Cocordville or a short dive into DE. I grew close to Media and really love that town.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:45 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
This sounds like another candidate for Jenkintown/Abington Township and for 400k you could actually slip in to some of the more desirable neighborhoods as long as you don't object to a remodeled older home. www.trulia.com and 19046

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
What kind of office will you open? Maybe you should decide the best area for that first and then a place to live since your living requirements are available in many parts of the metro.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,439 times
There is the usual list of "walkable" towns that seems to get posted in every one of these threads. However, since the vast majority of suburbanites don't actually live in these towns, i guess other factors often take precedent. Here is a link that might help you get you started.

Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

A $400k house in the suburbs close to a train line gives you a tremendous amount of variety in philadelphia. Obviously, depends on exactly what kind of house you are looking for so i would recommend checking out real estate listings to get a sene for that. I think towns like Ambler, Media, Lansdale, North Wales, Ardmore, and Yardley may fit your requirements. Keep in mind, the overwhelming majority of houses with these postal addresses will not actually be located IN the town itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia