Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
haha. good one.

you can't even get a one bedroom in a desirable area for $600. Even a studio would be pushing it.

also since when are stops along the eastern end of the MFL desirable? Frankford? Wissonoming? Bridesburg? These are not desirable places to live. I mean there are worse neighborhoods but no one in their right mind would call any of these neighborhoods desirable... barely acceptable at best. Even there you'll never be able to find a 2BR for under $600. The market would likely dictate that it would be possible because as i said these are not desirable neighborhoods, but the market is skewed in places like this because the landlords know they can take advantage of the section 8 system and get more than $600. That's why so many places in crummy neighborhoods don't just accept section 8 applicants, but demand them.

so yea... you're way off. $600 for a two bedroom in a desirable area is nuts. you'll never find that.
Bridesburg is a very good working class neighborhood. I'm talking about Bridesburg proper between I-95 and the river. West of the railroad and highway is Frankford, and Wissonoming, and as these things go Wissinoming is a lot better than Frankford as well.

edit: oh, and a house worth 50k in Kensington either has something very wrong with it that would make it practically unlivable, or its in a very undesirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM

274 posts, read 470,371 times
Definitely not in Philly but you could in Phoenix, Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Memphis and Jacksonville.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bird View Post
Definitely not in Philly but you could in Phoenix, Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Memphis and Jacksonville.
lol

Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:

I thought it was possible on 17th and Diamond

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. In Columbus that would have to be in the most dangerous, horrible area. You can get an okay two bedroom, in a slight just ok area, for maybe 700-800.

The most desirable areas have two bedrooms in the mid 1000s and up.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Haha what are you smoking? That is practically on Temple's campus. No where in this has more artificially inflated rent prices than around this city's many universities. A two bedroom apartment around there would be over a grand, easy. Keep in mind a dorm room is basically a studio apartment with shared kitchen and bathroom spaces that two people live in and pay over 500 a month each to do so. It's an insane ripoff and leads to jacked up rent prices in nearby off campus housing.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM

134 posts, read 475,126 times
So i've done a ton of research on this in the last couple of years. I'd say that you might be able to find a 2 bedroom for 800 in Port Richmond or in the few decent blocks past Aramingo that are "Port Richmond/Kensingon" depending on who you ask. However it is not hard to find a 3 br place for 900 in that area...if you can find a 3rd roommate. Otherwise it is very hard but you can comb the web and find a place in a dangerous area like Frankford, Kensington, North Philly, Southwest Philly for something like that.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
While attending Temple, myself and my other two roommates each paid $550 a month not including utilities to live at 15th and Norris, and then at 16th and Diamond.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Haha what are you smoking? That is practically on Temple's campus. No where in this has more artificially inflated rent prices than around this city's many universities. A two bedroom apartment around there would be over a grand, easy. Keep in mind a dorm room is basically a studio apartment with shared kitchen and bathroom spaces that two people live in and pay over 500 a month each to do so. It's an insane ripoff and leads to jacked up rent prices in nearby off campus housing.

It shouldn't be because is nothing like the University of Penn area. Why would I pay a lot of money to be robbed?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
It shouldn't be because is nothing like the University of Penn area. Why would I pay a lot of money to be robbed?
Believe it or not, your lack of knowledge of North Philadelphia does not drive rent prices down. Students renting in the area can expect to pay at the very minimum $500 per bedroom! You're not going to find a $600 2BR anywhere near Temple, end of story.

The perception of crime or the quality of the neighborhood doesn't matter. There are a ton of students and the demand is insane, thus prices are high. You can think it should be less if you want, that doesn't change prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia