Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times

Advertisements

KrtistyLiz- If you could find out some info from your friend that would be awesome. I know teachers usually have the upper hand when it comes to knowing the schools that are most desirable. I would really appreciate any info she can provide. Please PM me if you want or post on this thread. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 11:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Again, good luck. Your kids will be fine. Make sure to spend time in center city Philly.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
KrtistyLiz- If you could find out some info from your friend that would be awesome. I know teachers usually have the upper hand when it comes to knowing the schools that are most desirable. I would really appreciate any info she can provide. Please PM me if you want or post on this thread. Thank you!
I'll e-mail her on Monday and PM you the info. Have a good weekend!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
I believe that we will probably stay close to the Main Line area when looking and also checkout the Chester Springs/Malvern/Great Valley area as well. This gives me some focus when we go back to check it out. I think these areas will make for an easier transition than a more rural area, as beautiful as it may be. It is good to hear that others have relocated and their older kids have made the adjustment.
IMO you won't be giving up that much in natural landscape in the Mainline/KOP area. The mainline kind of has two distinctive feels. From Villanova eastward its like living in the english countryside.You are basically living in a forest in incredible houses built 50-100-200 years ago. If you crave sunshine this might not be the best place for you. Now west of Villanova(such as Radnor-Great Valley-Malvern-Tredyffrin-Exton) you get into more lush green valleys, hills, some open spaces and much newer housing.

But if you come to visit in Dec of course nothing is going to be green. It will most likely be cold, windy and brown. But come spring (April around these parts) you will O.D. on greenery, trust me

I have relatives from Nevada and when they visit it freaks them out how green everything is.

Quote:
I don't worry about my son, he is only 9. I worry most about my two girls who will be 16 and 14 at the time of the move. I am trying to make this as positive a move as possible. Although it is going to be good for our family and my husband's career kids sometimes just don't get that.

I will be moving them away from lifetime friends, the beach, everything they know. I just want to make it as easy a possible.

You need to go into this with a positive attitude, if you absolutely hate it(which I doubt will happen) you can always move back to Cal.. Once the kids get of college age they have the choice to stay local(80 colleges in metro Philly) or they can always go back to school in O.C.. Look at is an adventure, nothing has to be permanent.

The area you are talking of moving into isnt the typical east coast stereotypical older,dense,industrial type of environment. Malvern /KOP looks more like Kentucky than it does Philadelphia or NY. At the same time there is plenty going on. And the beaches are only a 2 hour drive.

I'll vouch for the West Chester area as well. That might be another area to put on the must see list if you have time on your visit. Great small town and the surrounding townships of WC are pretty exclusive. If you stay between Valley Forge and West Chester(except Norristown-Bridgeport) You cant go wrong.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Here is an awesome link for OC and everyone to see. Its from the Philadlephia Inquirer and basically gives you a clickable map of the home values of every town in the 9 county Philadelphia metro. This will give you a great idea of where towns are in relation to each other.

Inquirer Home Price Survey | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/20/2007

Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
That home price survey is a great resource, rainrock. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Rainrock and everyone on this board-THANK YOU! I am so excited to move back to PA just because all the people on this board are so kind and welcoming. Orginally we wanted to move to NJ (we have family there) and I was somewhat disappointed that my husband's office was in KOP. Once I got on the NJ board I learned that many people in that state want out. I have not found that on the PA board at all. I want to live where the people on that state love where they live. I am excited to go back in Dec so that I can see for myself what the winter looks like, because I know it will only be better when spring shows up. I am going to use everyone's advice and check out all the areas mentioned to get a good feel for the area. If you have a Real Estate agent that you would recommend I would love any suggestions. Thanks so much PA!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM

OC I think you will be pleasantly surprised. This general area seems to be way off the radar nationally but most of the people who grew up here never leave. They go away to college and almost always come back home to raise their families. We dont have the beach right on top of us but its close enough to make day and weekend trips. During the summer a good portion of SE Pa and south jersey make their pilgramage to "the shore" Ocean City,Sea Isle,Avalon,Stone Harbor,Wildwood, and Cape May to relax for a week or weekend.

The winters have been moderating(global warming?) over the past 10-20 years. As a kid I can remember ice skating on the streams and lakes for what seemd like the entire winter but lately its rare for it to be cold enough for the lakes to freeze over at all. On average we'll get 4 or 5 snowstorms per winter. Some of them can be impressive.

Tone that is a great map.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Orginally we wanted to move to NJ (we have family there) and I was somewhat disappointed that my husband's office was in KOP. Once I got on the NJ board I learned that many people in that state want out. I have not found that on the PA board at all.
I dont know what the deal is with NJ. I know the property taxes are outrageous and the state has serious financial issue. It also doesnt seem to have an identity. The northern half of the state gets consumed by NYC and the southern half of NJ gets swallowed up by Philadlephia. Its one of the wealthiest states in the country but it doesn't even have a local tv station. Its bizarre.

I know the suburbs of Pa. are pretty united. Everyone takes pride in where they live. We'd like to get behind the city a little better but imo there is still a disconnect between the suburbs and the city.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:16 PM

I have to say I am so pleased to see how positive everyone from PA is. It is so refreshing after I have been on the NJ and the Orange County CA boards. Yikes. They all want out! We are truly looking forward to our move! If anyone knows of a good honest realtor from any of the areas mentioned above please let me know.

Thank You PA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia