Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 7,603 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're looking at houses under 150k in Aston, and we came across one on Mount Road (near Team Road and New Road). That area seems more rural than the rest of Aston, with lots of what seem to be abandoned factory buildings down the road.

Any reflections/opinions on that? Any chemical plants or anything down there you know about? My husband and I are both professionals moving from Wynnewood. We want something a little more country-ish, lots of trees, and unfortunately due to student loans can't go higher than 150k right now.

Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,109 times
That is right on top of an old Indian burial ground. Some say the land is cursed.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Those are old mill factories, some are actually not abandoned, there are small businesses that have moved in. That is one of the oldest sections of Aston actually. I always find it neat when I drive by those factories. There are a lot of different housing options in Aston Mills(section of Aston). A lot of very old homes right on the road, some are fixed up some are not. You also have nearby 500k homes. I really dont know what 150 will get you, maybe a fixer or upper or something really small. Aston is cheaper than Wynnewood but really not that cheap. You may also want to look in Chester Heights right nearby. Or portions of middletown. Great areas unfortunately you will be very limited with your search.

And no the land is not cursed. There is a community in Aston called Indian Rock off of Concord rd that was built on an Indian burial ground, but it is not cursed.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Some refer to that area as the "West Virginia" of Aston. There is one on Chestnut (my former neighbors' in-laws' place) that is under 200, but not sure how much. It is an area VERY different from Wynnewood. There may also be some townhomes in that vicinity (not sure where exactly) that are for sale...but again, not sure price-wise.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Some refer to that area as the "West Virginia" of Aston. There is one on Chestnut (my former neighbors' in-laws' place) that is under 200, but not sure how much. It is an area VERY different from Wynnewood. There may also be some townhomes in that vicinity (not sure where exactly) that are for sale...but again, not sure price-wise.
That is true. Very conservative white, somewhat redneck. However many of the new neighborhoods in Aston built in the past 10 years are in Aston Mills. Larger more expensive homes with families, so that sort of helped out that area as far as the whole redneck vibe goes. Still exists but really just that area by the creek near New Rd. But again I would rather have that in Aston, then people from Chester moving in.

I would suggest looking at the townhomes off of Aston Mills Rd. Very nice, however they are more than 150. They are probably close to double that.

There is brookhaven, not exaclty rural, 150k is just going to require some serious searching.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:16 PM

26 posts, read 53,011 times
I grew up in Brookhaven and we referred to those residing in Aston Mills as "Mill-billies". The area has changed, however, with new houses built on Convent Rd. several years back that IMO were/are overpriced as much of new housing in Aston is. It's not a bad area whatsoever, maybe more conservative, maybe a few more pickup trucks but no big deal. There are some nice older homes in that area, but I'm not sure what 150k can get you since the majority at least those I know around Convent are larger. Mount road does have some ranchers, so possibly a fixer upper could be bought for 85-100k. It's still a good school district and from what I've seen, the district has become a little more culturally integrated since I've graduated back in '99.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearMr.Met View Post
I grew up in Brookhaven and we referred to those residing in Aston Mills as "Mill-billies". The area has changed, however, with new houses built on Convent Rd. several years back that IMO were/are overpriced as much of new housing in Aston is. It's not a bad area whatsoever, maybe more conservative, maybe a few more pickup trucks but no big deal. There are some nice older homes in that area, but I'm not sure what 150k can get you since the majority at least those I know around Convent are larger. Mount road does have some ranchers, so possibly a fixer upper could be bought for 85-100k. It's still a good school district and from what I've seen, the district has become a little more culturally integrated since I've graduated back in '99.

Aston is a much more desirable township to live in over brookhaven, which is why homes in aston are more expensive than brookhaven. I would say a lot of Aston residents look down on Brookhaven and especially parkside, just because aston has changed for the better over the past decade, more money has moved in and many aethetic improvments around the town.

Also, "culturaly integrated" school district not necessarily a good thing. At least for Penn Delco, because their neighbors to the southeast should not be welcomed with open arms. Part of the reason why I love Aston is because you have white conservatives who are not afraid to voice their opinions about people from bad areas and school districts moving into parkside and brookhaven, Aston is thankfully too expensive, and tends to not be overly welcoming of minority families.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 7,603 times
Update:

thanks, everyone! We bought a 1950's ranch house near the Baldwin Run townhomes off Concord Road. It is so great, and was under $150k. It has good bones, and just needs new light fixtures and paint. We are very happy there so far! And we are totally falling in love with Aston. People are so much nicer and happier than the Main Line, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia