Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,985,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No.

I had to read what you wrote a couple of times to make sure I was reading it right. I think black Philadelphians consider themselves a particular type of northerner that is distinct from black New Yorkers. But overall, there is this sense of a "Up North/Down South" dividing line that has a real basis in subcultural trends.
For instance I could imagine that black people living in Atlanta, New Orleans, or Miami should be a lot different. However white people living in the small towns around those cities are likely to be southern rednecks.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,416,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
For instance I could imagine that black people living in Atlanta, New Orleans, or Miami should be a lot different. However white people living in the small towns around those cities are likely to be southern rednecks.
So are you saying that there's a big difference between urban and rural dwellers in general? And that because blacks in the north are concentrated in urban areas, it's just a matter of comparing, say, Philly blacks to blacks in other cities?

Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
So are you saying that there's a big difference between urban and rural dwellers in general? And that because blacks in the north are concentrated in urban areas, it's just a matter of comparing, say, Philly blacks to blacks in other cities?
I would say when I think of "the southern black" I think of louisana and gumbo cooking. However If I think of a black person from miami I'm thinking about a super bike. Philly I think I think the difference is similar to how anything else is similar from New York.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,416,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I would say when I think of "the southern black" I think of louisana and gumbo cooking. However If I think of a black person from miami I'm thinking about a super bike. Philly I think I think the difference is similar to how anything else is similar from New York.
What makes you think of a super bike?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
What makes you think of a super bike?
People in southern florida cities love super bikes.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM

8,976 posts, read 21,067,474 times
Quote:
What are those qualities?
Besides some of the things mentioned in that article, and even more availability of some traditional Southern brands, it's just a generally more easygoing attitude compared to the "attytood" along the Philadelphia/New York axis.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM

8,976 posts, read 21,067,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I find this kind of conversation offensive. How southern is the white population in Philadelphia? The Asian population? Who even thinks up this kind of weird racial question? It's like insulting African Americans and Southerners in one fell swoop. Saying hi to people and taking your shirt off on a hot day while washing a car is Southern??
I see where the OP is coming from to a point. Expanding upon what I wrote earlier, there was a considerable migration of Southern blacks to Northern and Midwest cities starting approximately fifty years ago. So it's natural that some traditions, mannerisms etc. might have been brought here as well. I think few of the Southern customs - besides the aforementioned food preferences, for one - exist today in Philly.

When it comes to "big city living", my experience is that people in Charlotte or even Atlanta no matter what the skin tone, are more likely to say hi to a stranger than in the Philadelphia or New York. But the "washing one's car topless" thing? I don't know how to classify *that* but I wouldn't call it Southern.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM

123 posts, read 289,117 times
.My opinion is that there are two Philly accents. There is the standard rhotic Philly accent and the South Philly non-rhotic influenced Philly accent . A lot of how much of a Philly accent a person gets depends on a lot of factors. What part of Philly you grew up in, what's your education level, What generation Philadelphian are you,Who do you communicate with on a daily basis etc. These can play a factor in how strong your accent is. Black thought in the video is from South Philly. His accent reflects that because he has a non-rhotic South Philly Italian influence to his speech. The cop sounds like he's from south Philly too, but I'm not sure. But a lot of Black Philadelphians go toward the standard r pronouncing Philly accent. Some Philadelphian may sound kinda southern because maybe they haven't been here as long as others and are from the south. One thing that I notice that distinguishes Black Philly from Black NYC is that a lot of Black Philly has more southern American ancestry; where as black NYC has a lot of bearings to the Islands (Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados) and Africa. Philly has these populations too but not on the same level. This is changing though as more non-American blacks are moving to Philly. Overall Black Philadelphians are northeastern people. Me being a native African American from Philly was quickly picked out in south for have "That City talk". Even asked a few times was a New Yorker. I think I have mixture between the two Philly sounds. A lot of lower north philly blacks have that sound imo.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,102,278 times
When I hear most American-born black people talk, regardless of what region they're from, I can hear the Southern origin of the pronunciation of many words.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:19 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,928,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
When I hear most American-born black people talk, regardless of what region they're from, I can hear the Southern origin of the pronunciation of many words.
That's true but African-Americans from the Northeast are the furthest removed from the Southern dialect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia