Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM

704 posts, read 1,791,859 times

Advertisements

I know that the Philly area is predominantly Democratic, and the city is especially so. But are there any areas where particularly social conservatism is quite common? I'm trying to gauge Philly's brand of liberalism--whether the typical East Coast urban, sophisticated, hipster, socially liberal, etc. sort of liberalism or the more blue-collar, union-oriented variety that you'd find in Cleveland, St. Louis, etc. Any thoughts? Is Philly anywhere near the liberalism of Boston, DC, or New York?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
You'll want to look at neighborhoods in the Far Northeast (e.g. Mayfair, Somerton) as well as Chestnut Hill for the more conservative parts of the city. There are likely even a fair amount of social conservatives living right in Center City (downtown) that just happen to enjoy the convenience of urban amenities.

As far as what kind of liberals you'll find in Philly, I believe it's a mix of the two scenarios you presented. There's certainly a strong blue-collar tradition in the city with its trade unions, although one could argue many of said union members are fiscally liberal for self-preservation but socially conservative. In more recent times as Philly has been able to retain college grads and even attract other younger professionals, more neighborhood revitalization has radiated out from Center City attracting the "hipster quotient." Philly cultural and nightlife scenes certainly hold their own.

If one is a conservative who wants/needs to live in the city but don't need to go "out on the town" much, the Far Northeast may be most to one's liking. If one prefers to have decent options reasonably close, Chestnut Hill isn't bad...that is, if you've got the $$$.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
Chestnut Hill is very liberal (politically, socially), in my experience. I think the only way it might be viewed as "conservative" is relative to (adjacent even more liberal neighborhood) Mt. Airy.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
Hmm, conservatives. As already mentioned, Mayfair and Somerton? Based on interactions, I've always been under the impression that Chestnut Hill was fairly liberal.

I do think many areas have conservatives, but they tend to be overshadowed. For example, the Main Line, which tends to be more expensive, has its fair share of conservatives in parts of Gladwyne, Radnor, Lower Merion, etc. For what it's worth, I saw plenty of Mitt Romney signs around Bryn Mawr during the last election. As far as the flavor, I honestly feel like social liberalism is pretty prevalent everywhere, but outside of center city, things will lean more toward fiscal conservatism.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Hmm, conservatives. As already mentioned, Mayfair and Somerton? Based on interactions, I've always been under the impression that Chestnut Hill was fairly liberal.

I do think many areas have conservatives, but they tend to be overshadowed. For example, the Main Line, which tends to be more expensive, has its fair share of conservatives in parts of Gladwyne, Radnor, Lower Merion, etc. For what it's worth, I saw plenty of Mitt Romney signs around Bryn Mawr during the last election. As far as the flavor, I honestly feel like social liberalism is pretty prevalent everywhere, but outside of center city, things will lean more toward fiscal conservatism.
There is a vocal conservative (though usually fiscally and very seldom socially) minority in Lower Merion, but they are just that. A minority. You are right, however, that certain parts of the Main Line do lean red. Though Lower Merion went 66% to President Obama last election (it stands among the more Democratic suburbs) Romney did end up winning parts of Gladwyne, Haverford, and Rosemont:

Red Racing Horses:: Mapping MontCo- Lower Merion Township in 2012

A lot of it can probably be chalked up to the half that the Eastern Half of the township is, aggregately speaking, moderately wealthy and extremely Jewish, whereas the Western half is extremely wealthy and moderately Jewish (the African American parts of Bryn Mawr basically cancel out the African American parts of Ardmore).

Old 05-03-2013, 05:05 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I believe a broader swath of the suburbs are conservative. I just thought that the OP was asking about the city, specifically.

That said, I'll concede to possibly being wrong about Chestnut Hill.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
I was born into a Republican family and when I moved to Philadelphia 25 years ago I was treated like a creature from outer space. People were polite enough but they had all kinds of questions for the first Republican they had ever met. After a few years I changed my status to Democrat so that I could have a voice because all Philadelphia elections are decided in the Democratic primaries. A year ago I moved to Montgomery County and now it is the opposite reaction. When I went to vote and they found out I was registered Democrat all conversation stopped and they stared at me as if I was......from outer space.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
A year ago I moved to Montgomery County and now it is the opposite reaction. When I went to vote and they found out I was registered Democrat all conversation stopped and they stared at me as if I was......from outer space.
Do you know that Abington has two (D) state reps to one (R), a (D) state senator, and its US rep is Allyson Schwartz, who the republicans barely put up a fight against? Hardly a place where people never see democrats.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Do you know that Abington has two (D) state reps to one (R), a (D) state senator, and its US rep is Allyson Schwartz, who the republicans barely put up a fight against? Hardly a place where people never see democrats.
Abington went 63% Obama last election--just a little bit less than Lower Merion, though a Republican stronghold or two wouldn't be especially surprising.

In any event, MontCo as a whole decisively (though not overwhelmingly) leans Democrat these days--57% to Obama in 2012.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I was born into a Republican family and when I moved to Philadelphia 25 years ago I was treated like a creature from outer space. People were polite enough but they had all kinds of questions for the first Republican they had ever met. After a few years I changed my status to Democrat so that I could have a voice because all Philadelphia elections are decided in the Democratic primaries. A year ago I moved to Montgomery County and now it is the opposite reaction. When I went to vote and they found out I was registered Democrat all conversation stopped and they stared at me as if I was......from outer space.

Us too. When In Philly we were Dems, now Republicans. And my town is a total republican run town too and I run the polls every year in my district. . In my experience Philly is mostly liberal Dems and the burbs are mostly conservative Republicans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia