Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,885 times

Advertisements

I have posted on here before but am still having trouble figuring out where to live. My husband and I are moving to Philadelphia from TN. We are a young couple (28) and have no kids. We are looking for a suburb that will be an easy commute for my husband's job (in Wilmington, DE) that also offers some fun things to do/places to go. It seems like Media Has a decent downtown scene... Is this the case?

Where we live now has like 2 places to eat and that's it. We are looking to be able to walk to several restaurants/pubs/bars and or places to shop. It would also be great to meet others our age. Would Media offer this? If not, where would be a better choice?

We are looking to rent in the price range of $1500-2500 a month.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM

364 posts, read 732,610 times
Media is fun but gets old quickly. IMHO it's best for young home-owners with kids, not renters without kids. The rental housing stock in the core is limited.

West Chester is a better option. You can easily live within a five minute walk of Market and High streets for $1500. You can even live right in the core if you can stomach the noise on weekends. It's also closer to Wegmans, nicer big boxes, etc. Media has a Trader Joe's and is a shorter drive to the Main Line. The train commute to Center City from Media is significantly shorter, but that shouldn't factor unless you're a daily commuter.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
I agree. West Chester is a better option. Though, Media can be a fall back option. May I also suggest living in Center City too, if you can afford it and want the city life. Your husband can take the SEPTA Regional Rail line from Center City to Wilmington.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Why not look at Trolley Square in Wilmington? A lot more going on than in Media.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,605 times
I disagree with everyone about Media getting "old". I'm originally from Springfield, and live now in Drexel Hill, but spend a ton of time in Media. If you're a young couple who likes good food and nightlife, Media is perfect. You can walk anywhere in town, and if you don't feel like walking, you can hop on the trolley. Right on State Street there are a ton of shops, and restaurants featuring food from all over the world. There is almost a small town feel to Media, which some people don't like. Some nights in the summer all of the shops and bars have their windows and doors open, and tables in the streets, and it's almost like a fair atmosphere. My experience with West Chester (and there have been many experiences) has been more of a party experience. If you are a big partier, then West Chester may be a better bet. However, be careful where you rent in West Chester, as there are some not-so-nice areas.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,831 times
Media is a wonderful place to live for all ages. There is a lot going on, many restaurants to choose from, entertainment, easy transportation to other areas, nightlife, and a great place to raise children if you choose to someday. There are a lot of wonderful young couples and singles in Media in their 20's and 30's. The people who live here are friendly and happy! Move to Media!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:46 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
I do agree that West Chester is more exciting, but as a Media booster, Media is much nicer with a much more quaint downtown. There are a few nice boutiques and small home shops and salons, and a big variety of great restuarants. Plus you are not all that far from the Main Line, King of Prussia, and Philly. West Chester is further out. Media is just more relaxed than west chester. It is mainly couples, and families, no crazy college kids. My one wish is for Media to have one more street that resembled State Street, (the main street in town) than it would really be without a doubt the best option. Rental options near downtown are limited though. Any once you get outside of Media borough it becomes very expensive for the most part.

I would check both towns out and see for yourself, if you are able to take a trip here before moving. Or just research each town, both have street views on google maps. I would also check out Center City. You may like the city life.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,326 times
You can check out both Media and West Chester (as well as other "classic" towns) here:

Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Rental options near downtown(Media) are limited though. Any once you get outside of Media borough it becomes very expensive for the most part.

I would check both towns out and see for yourself, if you are able to take a trip here before moving. Or just research each town, both have street views on google maps. I would also check out Center City. You may like the city life.
Thats the 1 reason I would recommend West Chester. Better selection of modern apartment/townhomes to choose from.

That and its an easier commute to Wilmington than Media.

I would agree with those suggesting Center City Philly. If you can deal with the commute to Wilm and wage tax then this is the place to be if you want downtown living. Nothing else in the region comes remotely close to it.

Here is Windsor at Brandywine Valley. 5-10 minutes south of West Chester. 15-20 minutes west of Media.15-20 minutes from Wilmington. This complex is located in Glen Mills Pa.

Good luck

Glen Mills, PA Apartments - Windsor at Brandywine Valley - Windsor Communities

Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Rental options near downtown(Media) are limited though. Any once you get outside of Media borough it becomes very expensive for the most part.

Thats the 1 reason I would recommend West Chester. Better selection of modern apartment/townhomes to choose from.

That and its an easier commute to Wilmington than Media.

I would agree with those suggesting Center City Philly. If you can deal with the commute to Wilm and wage tax then this is the place to be if you want downtown living. Nothing else in the region comes remotely close to it.

Here is Windsor at Brandywine Valley. 5-10 minutes south of West Chester. 15-20 minutes west of Media.15-20 minutes from Wilmington. This complex is located in Glen Mills Pa.

Good luck

Glen Mills, PA Apartments - Windsor at Brandywine Valley - Windsor Communities

center City= Park Towne Place

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia