Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
But why would you even bother with the commute when you have a town like Media close to Radnor. Just seems silly to even consider Haddonfield.
Her commute into Center City is easier from Haddonfield, his is longer. If he doesn't mind the drive, it's their call where they spend their money. If you have a problem with Haddonfield, that's your problem.

I've made a similar commute, have you done the drive from Haddonfield to Radnor at the listed times? At 6:30 AM, the bridge is fine, as is the Vine St Expressway & the Sure-kill. Most of it is a reverse commute. The PM commute is a reverse commute until he gets onto the Vine St Expressway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,859 times
Thanks for weighing in everyone. We are looking to live within walking distance of the shops/restaurants of whatever town we move too, so We're fairly focused on the boroughs as opposed to the surrounding areas. We have considered Swarthmore, but the town is smaller and the houses seem more expensive. We'll keep it in mind though. I have thought of Wayne as well, but the surrounding houses tend to be more than we'd like to spend. Narberth we haven't considered seriously because I hate how congested it is over there near City Ave., and how congested all the major shopping areas/grocery stores etc. are over there, although thats generally a problem in a lot of the Philly burbs so maybe we should reconsider it. Chestnut Hill I really like, but we don't think it makes sense to pay for private schools when there are so many good school districts in the area.

I think the reason we liked Haddonfield a lot is that it seemed no matter what street you drove down every single one was just lovely. Media, this is mostly the case but there are a few blocks over near the train station that felt slightly sketchy, but maybe I'm totally off base and it perfectly nice. I would hopefully be walking to/from the train to commute to center city.

It sounds like most people think it'd be silly to consider Haddonfield in this situation and that's what I was trying to determine. I guess aside from liking the town (but we do really like Media maybe equally so) the other draw for me to Haddonfield was that Patco is so fast and runs 24/7, runs more frequently and it's really a quick trip across the bridge into center city if I had to drive. I'm a lawyer and work late hours and am often taking the train before/after peak times. I would rather not drive to work from Media, as parking at my office is expensive-- I think somewhere around 200/month, or 18 to 27 dollars for a day, but I could find a cheaper lot farther away. Basically, we'd be trading a better commute for me for a worse commute for my husband. It sounds like it may not be worth it though. We should probably do test commutes from these areas to try it out. Sounds like the PM commute will be more of a problem.

Oh, also, we were looking to buy something for under 300k, to give us financial freedom to achieve other goals. The availability of single family homes in Media as opposed to mostly twins in Ardmore, as someone pointed out, is also important as my husband in particular would rather not live in a twin, but I think that will be hard given our goal purchase price. We're not afraid of doing a lot of work to a cheaper house, as long we think the cost will be worth it.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Even disregarding the commute, if you don't like what $300k gets you in Ardmore (which isn't all that expensive as far as Philly suburbs go), you definitely won't be thrilled with your options in Haddonfield. In fact, other than a few fixer-uppers, you'd probably be shut out of the Borough entirely.

Media and Narberth will give you the most options, with Media being a better value.

It's not quite as charming as the above two, but you may want to consider Havertown, which is a bit more affordable in its walkable sections.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
There are def homes under $300k in Haddonfeild. Did a search and I came up with at least a dozen or more. Some very nice.. Here ya go

13 9TH AVE, Haddon Heights NJ 08035, MLS #6043875, Weichert.com

759 W MOUNT VERNON AVE, HADDON TOWNSHIP, NJ 08033, US

21 DEVON CT, HADDON TOWNSHIP, NJ 08033, US

1106 W MOUNT VERNON AVE, HADDON TOWNSHIP, NJ 08033, US

This one needs work..
5 EVERGREEN LN HADDONFIELD NJ 08033, MLS # 6207969, Keller Williams Realty

and plenty more

Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Even disregarding the commute, if you don't like what $300k gets you in Ardmore (which isn't all that expensive as far as Philly suburbs go), you definitely won't be thrilled with your options in Haddonfield. In fact, other than a few fixer-uppers, you'd probably be shut out of the Borough entirely.

Media and Narberth will give you the most options, with Media being a better value.

It's not quite as charming as the above two, but you may want to consider Havertown, which is a bit more affordable in its walkable sections.
Actually, not all of the houses in Haddonfield are stately colonials & Victorians. You just have to get off the main roads & avoid the area SW of the PATCO station. Most homes between Haddon Ave & Grove Street are walkable to PATCO, either Haddonfield or Westmont, & would meet the OP's needs. There are also smaller homes east of Kings Highway, on cross streets.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0304 View Post
Thanks for weighing in everyone. We are looking to live within walking distance of the shops/restaurants of whatever town we move too, so We're fairly focused on the boroughs as opposed to the surrounding areas. We have considered Swarthmore, but the town is smaller and the houses seem more expensive. We'll keep it in mind though. I have thought of Wayne as well, but the surrounding houses tend to be more than we'd like to spend. Narberth we haven't considered seriously because I hate how congested it is over there near City Ave., and how congested all the major shopping areas/grocery stores etc. are over there, although thats generally a problem in a lot of the Philly burbs so maybe we should reconsider it. Chestnut Hill I really like, but we don't think it makes sense to pay for private schools when there are so many good school districts in the area.

I think the reason we liked Haddonfield a lot is that it seemed no matter what street you drove down every single one was just lovely. Media, this is mostly the case but there are a few blocks over near the train station that felt slightly sketchy, but maybe I'm totally off base and it perfectly nice. I would hopefully be walking to/from the train to commute to center city.

It sounds like most people think it'd be silly to consider Haddonfield in this situation and that's what I was trying to determine. I guess aside from liking the town (but we do really like Media maybe equally so) the other draw for me to Haddonfield was that Patco is so fast and runs 24/7, runs more frequently and it's really a quick trip across the bridge into center city if I had to drive. I'm a lawyer and work late hours and am often taking the train before/after peak times. I would rather not drive to work from Media, as parking at my office is expensive-- I think somewhere around 200/month, or 18 to 27 dollars for a day, but I could find a cheaper lot farther away. Basically, we'd be trading a better commute for me for a worse commute for my husband. It sounds like it may not be worth it though. We should probably do test commutes from these areas to try it out. Sounds like the PM commute will be more of a problem.

Oh, also, we were looking to buy something for under 300k, to give us financial freedom to achieve other goals. The availability of single family homes in Media as opposed to mostly twins in Ardmore, as someone pointed out, is also important as my husband in particular would rather not live in a twin, but I think that will be hard given our goal purchase price. We're not afraid of doing a lot of work to a cheaper house, as long we think the cost will be worth it.
Your husband should definitely try the PM commute to Haddonfield. That should be your deciding factor, not a group of strangers on the internet (me included). My experience was within my tolerance level. The more alternative routes he knows, the better. That includes being flexible on which bridge he crosses, in case of the rare shut down of a bridge. I knew other people who made the commute further out than I did & their experiences mirrored mine. Your commute would be far better than from the the PA suburbs. That's a no-brainer. It all comes down to his commute.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Your commute would be far better than from the the PA suburbs. That's a no-brainer.
1 job is in Center City .

1 job is in Radnor.

And the commute from Haddonfield NJ would be "far better" than a commute from a Pa burb? I kindly disagree on both commutes.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
LOL only one of those is actually in Haddonfield.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, not all of the houses in Haddonfield are stately colonials & Victorians. You just have to get off the main roads & avoid the area SW of the PATCO station. Most homes between Haddon Ave & Grove Street are walkable to PATCO, either Haddonfield or Westmont, & would meet the OP's needs. There are also smaller homes east of Kings Highway, on cross streets.
I'm aware of the diversity of Haddonfield's housing stock. That said, there are usually only a couple single family homes at a time under the $300k mark.

Haddon Township and Haddon Heights are another story entirely. But the OP was only talking about Haddonfield.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
1 job is in Center City .

1 job is in Radnor.

And the commute from Haddonfield NJ would be "far better" than a commute from a Pa burb? I kindly disagree on both commutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm aware of the diversity of Haddonfield's housing stock. That said, there are usually only a couple single family homes at a time under the $300k mark.

Haddon Township and Haddon Heights are another story entirely. But the OP was only talking about Haddonfield.

More reasons why Media is the logical option. I didnt really find many singles within walking distance to downtown though, more twins and townhomes. Media to center city is a breeze via regional rail, and not that difficult by car, unless there is a disaster on 476 or 95. And you could get to Radnor in 15-20 minutes if all is running smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia