Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,660 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. First, our background: my husband, who works for GSK in North Carolina, might be relocating to the Philly area. He would probably be working at the Collegeville or Upper Merion sites. We have 3 children - one rising first grader, and two who will start Kindergarten in 2014. I'm currently a medical school administrator at Duke, but I have worked for a nonprofit (in England) and have a PhD in history - in other words, I don't yet know where I'll be working in Philly.

It looks like there are some fantastic schools in the Collegeville area - according to the greatschools numbers, at least. Is it possible to find a house for less than $350 in a good school district, in a neighborhood where the kids might have playmates, within a 30 minute commute from Collegeville? Close to a train station might be nice, since I have no clue where I'll be working.

Also, what are daycare costs like in the Philly area? What about summer camps and after school?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,477,524 times
If he's working in Collegeville, I would suggest looking at the Perkiomen Valley and Methacton school districts, as these are areas with good schools that are close to Collegeville and aren't particularly expensive. There isn't great train access in that area, but depending on where you lived, could access from Norristown.

In terms of daycare, from my experience the nicer franchises are arount $1,000 per month. For summer camp, I pay about double that per month but there are cheaper options.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,077,521 times
I live in the Collegeville area. I agree with the above poster but you will probably find that $350k or less will only go so far for a single. I guess it's all relative but you will likely find older ranches and splits at that price point. If you can do $400k you can get a somewhat newer house. Go to Home Page and search the following Montgomery County towns: Collegeville, Trappe, Upper Providence Township, Limerick Township, Royersford, Skippack Township.

If you can afford a little more search in Worcester Township or Whitpain Township, which are a little closer to SEPTA's regional rail system. You could also check out Lansdale.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 6,660 times
Thank you both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia